PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Snap Caps

timspawn
11-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Years ago I made some snap caps by putting pencil erasers into the primer pocket and trimming it flush. I had forgotten about them until I found one recently. Does anybody see any reason why these would not be as good as a factory one with a spring?

captbligh
11-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I made some for a .22 Hornet like you describe and the firing pin quickly wore a hole in the eraser and didn't really cushion anything. Better than nothing if you can't find an A-Zoom, but I'd spend the $10 on a factory one.

bdicki
11-05-2013, 06:23 PM
We had a guy at the skeet field that used fired shells as snap caps. One day he shot a hole in the parking lot.

markinalpine
11-06-2013, 07:05 PM
I punched out plugs from some peel-and-stick vinyl floor tile, using a leather punch and before removing the peel off backing. Used three plugs in the primer hole AFTER removing the backing (this is with large pistol primers, the only ones I wanted) and they've held up pretty well, but I don't do a lot of snap capping anyway.
FWIW,
Mark :coffee:

timspawn
11-06-2013, 08:42 PM
I punched out plugs from some peel-and-stick vinyl floor tile, using a leather punch and before removing the peel off backing. Used three plugs in the primer hole AFTER removing the backing (this is with large pistol primers, the only ones I wanted) and they've held up pretty well, but I don't do a lot of snap capping anyway.
FWIW,
Mark :coffee:

I don't do a lot either so mine would be low mileage.

Calamity Jake
11-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Put hot melt glue in the flash hole then trim after it cools.

.22-10-45
11-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Eraser rubber is too soft. I make them from 3/16" nylon rod turned for press fit in pocket. Even these wear out..punch out & turn over.

Garyshome
11-06-2013, 11:59 PM
We had a guy at the skeet field that used fired shells as snap caps. One day he shot a hole in the parking lot. OK!

AkMike
11-09-2013, 02:40 AM
I drill and tap the primer hole to take a 1/4" nylon screw that you can get from the hardware store. Trim the head down until it'll fit in the of the shell or cut the shell shorter to the shoulder or whatever until it works. The trick is to get it started in the taped hole from the inside of the shell. I sometimes put a point on the screw to start it easier. The screw can be turned from the inside of the shell outward and trimmed as needed.