PDA

View Full Version : Wax vs PC question

cs86
11-05-2013, 05:22 PM
I noticed with felix lube, shooting out of a 9mm, that my bullets start to shoot higher on the target the warmer the gun gets. I'm sure other wax based lubes are prone to doing this since they soften with heat. I was wondering if others notice anything of this nature with powder coated boolits?

williamwaco
11-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I noticed with felix lube, shooting out of a 9mm, that my bullets start to shoot higher on the target the warmer the gun gets. I'm sure other wax based lubes are prone to doing this since they soften with heat. I was wondering if others notice anything of this nature with powder coated boolits?

I am not familiar with Felix but I don't think wax is the problem.

I have fired several hundred thousand cast bullets lubed with 50/50 Beeswax/Alox through at least two hundred handguns over the past 50 years.
I have never seen anything like that.

cs86
11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Has anyone else experienced an elevation increase when doing a 10 round steady continuous shooting at a target with wax based lubes? And I'm not meaning to just raddle off 10 as fast as you can.

waksupi
11-05-2013, 09:20 PM
That indicates to me that the bullets are marginally sized for the bore. Another half thousandth, or maybe a faster powder could cure that.

cs86
11-05-2013, 09:28 PM
That indicates to me that the bullets are marginally sized for the bore. Another half thousandth, or maybe a faster powder could cure that.

Barrel slugs at .3557. I was sizing to .357, which I think comes out to more like .3573. So you are saying that If I size to .358 that it might help?

waksupi
11-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Barrel slugs at .3557. I was sizing to .357, which I think comes out to more like .3573. So you are saying that If I size to .358 that it might help?

Yep...

leftiye
11-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Or harder alloy maybe, 9mms produce a lot of pressure. Climbing like that could indicate a marginal lube too. Shooting higher in a pistol indicates a load that stays in the barrel longer as the recoil raises the point of aim. So if the lube flakes out in a hotter barrel, there is more drag, gun shoots higher. Wax itself isn't much of a lube, though it can be an ingredient of a good loob. Maybe get a betterer loob. Go at least to NRA 50/50 formula.

WRideout
11-06-2013, 07:47 AM
I don't know about small arms, but in artillery, propellant temperature is vital to accurate rounds on target. Once, when my Santa Barbara CA NG unit went to Camp Ripley MN for winter training, the FDO forgot to factor in prop temp. The rounds almost fell short of the buffer zone.

Wayne

leftiye
11-06-2013, 09:17 AM
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - Or leaves you damaged.