PDA

View Full Version : 45/45/10 in a Lyman 4500

youngda9
11-05-2013, 12:56 PM
I've decided to get a Lubrisizer. I think I'll go with the Lyman 4500. I've been pan lubing using the 45/45/10 mixture and getting great results (2200fps in 358Win with good accuracy).

Can I just pour my 45/45/10 mixture in the Lyman resoivar and continue to use that excellent lube? Or do I need to purchase a Lyman stick lube?

What are some other preferred lubes to use for rifle boolits?

Thanks.

btroj
11-05-2013, 01:04 PM
45/45/10 is a tumble lube, it is used as a liquid. Not sure how you are pan lubing with it.

Get a stick lube.

youngda9
11-05-2013, 01:12 PM
MY 45/45/10 is solid. I have to heat it to liquify it before use and then it hardens when it cools. Maybe I'm making it wrong but it sure works for me ! Currently I dip my boolits in the 45/45/10 and then pass them through the Lee sizer die to wipe off the excess and pack the rifle boolit grooves. It works great, but it is a slow and sometimes messy process.

Can I just warm it up to liquify it and then pour it into the 4500 ?

btroj
11-05-2013, 01:21 PM
It may work but I think it would be a bit soft. I would remelt it and add maybe 25 percent beeswax to stiffen it up.

dragon813gt
11-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Seems like a waste of 45/45/10. A benefit to it is that a little goes a long way. My batch is solid as well and it doesn't slump even during the summer heat. I just like the fact of how little you use when you tumble the bullets.

youngda9
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Sounds like it'll work. I'll just keep on "wasting" the lube (232gr boolit @ 2200fps with consistent 1.0-1.5" 5 shot groups at 100yds). LOL.

Rattlesnake Charlie
11-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Please expound on your 45/45/10 lube.
Ingredients, steps on how to make, etc.
Mine is liquid above 80 degrees F.
With that kind of velocity and accuracy, I'm interested in learning more.

fryboy
11-05-2013, 02:34 PM
part of it will depend upon where you live , something to consider - recluse's recipe when made according to the formula melts when warmer as you've noted , not what i'd really want to gappen in my summer time - especially when the grooves are full !!! doesnt matter which way it goes , down into the powder/primer or into the bottom of the ammo box or even laying on it's side - it's going to make a mess and in the case of the powder/primer may cause a dud or several
i made a special batch , i cooked all the solvent out of the JPW and didnt add mineral spirits back , i've been trying this with added beeswax , it's a wee bit hard but that's a good thing for me during my brutal summer time !! i have to use heat to apply it and so far so good current batch is 60% beeswax and 40 % recluse's recipe sans mineral spirits/solvents , now that the weather is getting colder i may have to add a dab of lanolin to give it some flex and soften it up a wee bit

btroj
11-05-2013, 02:35 PM
RC, it often gets a bit stiff if the mineral spirits evaporate off. Think about it, sitting in the bottle drying out isn't that different than drying on a bullet, is it?

DeanWinchester
11-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Please expound on your 45/45/10 lube.
Ingredients, steps on how to make, etc.
Mine is liquid above 80 degrees F.
With that kind of velocity and accuracy, I'm interested in learning more.

This^^^
Mine is a thick viscous liquid even 50-60 degrees.

... I've also been using the same 12oz bottle for going on two years now.

youngda9
11-05-2013, 02:56 PM
I boil the JPW for about 8-10 minutes until the stink is gone (chemicals), it boils down quite a bit. I then turn off the heat when I believe there is just wax remaining. I then eyeball it and pour in equal amounts of Alox after it's cooled off a bit. I stir it and add in about 10% of mineral spirits. I bottle some of it(tumble lube) and pour some into my min-crock pot(dip lubing). It hardens when it cools, it is not a thick liquid at all when cooled. I have to heat it to get it liquified for tumble lubing or to do the dip-lube method that I described above.

It lasts a loooong time if i just TL with it. It does get used up faster when filling bands of my rifle boolits (more lube per boolit). A batch lasts many thousands of boolits. I will make more this winter or spring.

cs86
11-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Wow I must of made mine wrong. I thought it was suppose to basically be more of a liquid. It sounds like it is suppose to be about the consistence of Alox, and in youngda9's case...stiffer. Maybe that is why I would get leading just tumbling and have to dip it before eliminating the leading issue. I wonder if I added to much MS.

Recluse
11-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Youngda9,

Just add some beeswax to it then pour in a stick mold or directly into the lubesizer. I used to do that (adding beeswax) for several years until I realized I was simply reinventing the wheel, afterward of which I simply went back to tumble-lubing.

:coffee:

RickinTN
11-05-2013, 07:49 PM
My 45-45-10 is a thick liquid state at room temperature. My shop is @ 68 degrees now and it is about like a thick syrup. I do heat mine in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds before using it to tumble lube and it works quite well and will dry overnight. I think it would be too "syrupy" to use in a lubesizer.
As far as a pre-manufactured lube to use in a lubesizer I like LSstuffs 2,500+ for rifle bullets. It's not too hard and hasn't required a heater yet, but I've only been using it this year and it hasn't really gotten cold in my shop. In a colder environment I may have to take it into the house and let it set over the register for a half hour or so to come up to about 70 degrees. Lars lubes are very reasonably priced and I think you would be pleased. If I'm not mistaken he also has an alox/beeswax in stick form for the machines which may be closer to what you are using.
Good Luck,
Rick

youngda9
11-05-2013, 08:18 PM
I have to nuke mine for 4 min in the microwave to liquefy it. Clearly I'm doing something wrong...but it works oh so right for me so I'll keep on keepin on.

dragon813gt
11-05-2013, 08:22 PM
I like LSstuffs 2,500+ for rifle bullets. It's not too hard and hasn't required a heater yet, but I've only been using it this year and it hasn't really gotten cold in my shop. In a colder environment I may have to take it into the house and let it set over the register for a half hour or so to come up to about 70 degrees. Lars lubes are very reasonably priced and I think you would be pleased.

Oh it requires a heater at colder temps. I took to using the heater even in the summer because it's never that hot in my garage. Just makes the first few pulls a lot easier on my elbow. It works great w/ pistol bullets as well and it's the only stick lube I use.