PDA

View Full Version : Anyone care to send me a few .432 sample boolits?

Animal
11-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Hey guys,

I've been working up a load for my .44 magnum SRH. I'm using commercial cast boolits from Falcon right now. I've found that a 240 gr swc over 19.5 grains of 2400 is the sweet spot, but I haven't been able to shake a few minor leading issues (mostly at the last half of the barrel). The boolits are about 17bhn, .430 dia, beveled base and have the traditional blue lube.

On my second batch of rounds, I stripped the blue lube and pan lubed the boolits with a 60/40 beeswax/Vaseline lube. This lube worked out great on my .357 magnum, I hoped for similar results with my .44.

I still have about half the leading with the new lube. As I understand, the bevel base is probably working against me in boolit obturation and it would also seem that .432 dia is the sweet spot for a lot of cast boolit rounds in 44 SRHs (at least this is what a lot of SRH owners tell me on this site). Logic tells me that I'll need a boolit mold with a plain base, .432 dia, and a big fat lube groove for my 7 1/2 in barrel.

If anyone has any surplus boolits hanging around that would fit this bill, I'd like to purchase a sample pack of about 100. I'd rather go this direction before I spend a gob of money on a high quality .432 mold.

Please message me if you can part with a few. If you see that what I've reported could use some extra attention without changing boolits, let me know. Thanks!

kevmc
11-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Target or hunting....deer bear..elk??

Animal
11-06-2013, 10:10 AM
I have no plans to take down any deer with it any time soon, but I'm working up the load for that potential.

gray wolf
11-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I need to help someone so please allow me to do so.
I can send you some Lyman 429421 250 grain SWC and 265 RNFP
My SRH cylinder throats are .4318 and the bullets are sized and lubed at just about .432
They shoot great in my super red hawk. I will use a flat rate box.
PM me your address.

Sam

Animal
11-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks Sam, you have mail.

gray wolf
11-07-2013, 05:19 PM
So do you, the PM kind and the flat rate box kind.
With all the help this forum has shown me I had to return the favor to someone and you be it.

44man
11-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Sam, good man and you are doing good.
But the OP needs more help. Factory cast is the most problem. The BB can work and has nothing to do with "fit", just a shorter drive length that might not match twist but velocities can be matched. Nothing to do with "obturate."
It might be true that too hard can lead but I have never found that. Lube is terrible on factory boolits and I don't like what he made. Make Felix lube and get it over with.
Then the semi wad cutter can be a LARGE problem, dump the things. I loved Elmer but he got it wrong. Back then he had interest in holes in paper combined with hunting. His meplats worked on game but the shoulder is a mess as are the GG's. One large groove with too much lead surface in between is not as good as more grooves.
Some of my revolvers have not had the bores cleaned in three years, just the pin and hole cleaned for STP lube. There is no need to ever have leading in a bore.
Even the RD 265 with TL grooves work with Felix. Throw out Alox and hard lubes.
Too many good boolits can be bought, Cast Performance, Beartooth, etc to fool with cheap bulk boolits.
LBT soft Blue or Glen's lubes, CR is good but just a little hard but I find it is accurate.
My SRH has a .430" groove and .4324" throats and I shoot from .430" to .432" boolits with no difference. No leading. How about a 1-5/16" group at 200 yards with a .430 boolit?
The 429421 boolit is a good one but you need PERFECT cylinder to bore alignment or boolits so hard the shoulder will steer the cylinder without getting smeared off on one side. If the cylinder can't be brought into line, the cone and rifling will wear on one side. That is a REAL fact. Cylinder play is there for a reason.
Been fooling with a 30-30 Marlin rifle and find Felix and CR work fine, no leading at all shooting to max. I cleaned it once to see and found NOTHING so it might never be cleaned again.

DougGuy
11-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Too hard an alloy can contribute to leading. I found if I drive hard cast as hard as I can, they will lead somewhat no matter what the lube. +1 on the felix lube, it is about as good as good can get. I also found that the condition of the forcing cone is more important with softer alloy so it deforms the boolit less. Smooth/polished slightly longer 11° worked wonders on my SBH groups.

The best shooting boolit I have is the Lee C430-310-RF cast in 50/50+2% (ww+pure lead+2%tin) with felix lube, sized as they drop from the mold, they run about BHN12 best as I can tell. These are very accurate, zero leading to speak of, and all this means is that for this 7 1/2" SBH, everything is optimum with this combination. This gun has never shot better. It is the perfect combination of cylinder throat diameters, forcing cone, boolit diameter, hardness, lube, 16.0gr H2400 powder, and a clean breaking trigger.

Finding that combo for your SRH will likely be a bit different than what works best for my SBH, but that's what I would be striving for, the whole combo not just getting a certain boolit to shoot so try a few different boolits but be aware that there is a perfect combination for that gun, wish you luck in finding it but when you do, you will certainly know it..