PDA

View Full Version : Rare Lyman molds - sell on eBay or wait and sell here?

Alvin
11-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Just like the subject says I discovered I have some rare Lyman molds that are getting good money on eBay. I could sell them on eBay and anyone could purchase it, but I think the price would be jacked up because of other ebayers. If not eBay, I would only post here and donate a portion to the board.

I will not post just to get to the post threshold. Do you think the mods would make an exception to just sell the rare molds since I would be giving part of the money to the board? If not I'll probably wait until I have enough posts to sell on here, as this board has given me lots of knowledge and feels like a true community.

Echd
11-05-2013, 10:07 AM
You could always post on Fleabay and donate here. Seems to be the best of both worlds, for you and for the donation.

Ebay does get really jacked up though and I don't understand it. Sometimes the simplest or most common molds go for ridiculous amounts... I had some guy outbid me in the last 20 seconds on an RCBS 22 mold that retails new around $80... he bid it up to 120! I also hate bid sniping and think a lot of other sites that extend the auction by 5-10 minutes for last second bids have it right, but that's neither here nor there.

MT Gianni
11-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Just like the subject says I discovered I have some rare Lyman molds that are getting good money on eBay. I could sell them on eBay and anyone could purchase it, but I think the price would be jacked up because of other ebayers. If not eBay, I would only post here and donate a portion to the board.

I will not post just to get to the post threshold. Do you think the mods would make an exception to just sell the rare molds since I would be giving part of the money to the board? If not I'll probably wait until I have enough posts to sell on here, as this board has given me lots of knowledge and feels like a true community.

No no exceptions would be made. I suggest that you let us know what you shoot, what you cast and what your interests are. That should get you to 25 posts in no time.

Alvin
11-05-2013, 11:11 AM
MT Gianni, you have my apologies. I didn't mean any disrespect or was trying to flout the rules, it was more me checking to see if something similar has been done in the past. I'm starting to get more active here on the board, so I may hit the required amount shortly, but will not spam to get there. If there are any members interested in the molds I have I could setup a private auction and sell them for $5 to minimize fees. Then they could pay me the difference and and I would send a portion to the the board.

No no exceptions would be made. I suggest that you let us know what you shoot, what you cast and what your interests are. That should get you to 25 posts in no time.

HeavyMetal
11-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I would like to here more of your basic loading experience, the molds listed are hard to come buy but I have had all three of them hrough my hands over the years.

Matter of fact I can tell you right now casting with that 429303 can be an experience in frustration, LOL!

That one has some big honkin lube groove and is a pain to get out of the mold, if you cast with it use a lot of care not to beat it up!

As for your post count: I believe the rules state 25 post OR 90 days. Pending you exact join date it looks like you'll have that in a little bit.

I apprecaite your wanting to donate to the site my suggestion is wait for your time limit to be up, announce this as a benitfit auction, add a resurve if needed and let the site members have at it.

My experience with E bay has been everybody else's molds seem to be more valuable than mine even with the same mold number on it, LOL!

Go here and make good freinds for a long time!

Bil

375RUGER
11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
As a contributor, don't you have instant access to buy and sell in the Teamboolits buy/sell area?

bhn22
11-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Sell 'em on E-Bay. Seriously, you'll get more out of them, and the bottom line is the only line. This coming from a guy who doesn't sell or buy anything on E-Bay. They guys here are great, but most E-Bay purchases occur because they can use a credit card to pay. This makes some people willing to pay a lot more than somethings really worth, just because they want it, and that's all that matters.

Alvin
11-05-2013, 01:23 PM
I've been loading for just over a year now, learned and started on my friends equipment. Casting wise only since February. That's when there was a huge shortage on everything as everyone knows. Someone was selling an entire reloading setup after his father passed. 21 dies, 7k primers, 1000's of bullets and brass, a few pounds of different powders, swagging setup, molds and lead and all the standard gear.

I needed bullets, primers, and powder and it was an all or nothing deal. I saw it shortly after he posted the ad, and told him to save it and started my three hour drive. Luckily he was an honest man, he started getting flooded with calls and people were offering $500 over his asking price and could be there in 30 minutes. He told them he already committed to me, and if I didn't show they were next in line.

I would like to here more of your basic loading experience, the molds listed are hard to come buy but I have had all three of them hrough my hands over the years.

Matter of fact I can tell you right now casting with that 429303 can be an experience in frustration, LOL!

That one has some big honkin lube groove and is a pain to get out of the mold, if you cast with it use a lot of care not to beat it up!

As for your post count: I believe the rules state 25 post OR 90 days. Pending you exact join date it looks like you'll have that in a little bit.

I apprecaite your wanting to donate to the site my suggestion is wait for your time limit to be up, announce this as a benitfit auction, add a resurve if needed and let the site members have at it.

My experience with E bay has been everybody else's molds seem to be more valuable than mine even with the same mold number on it, LOL!

Go here and make good freinds for a long time!

Bil

btroj
11-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Put em on eBay.

azrednek
11-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Matter of fact I can tell you right now casting with that 429303 can be an experience in frustration, LOL! Bil

That is putting it mildly!! I'd never recommend casting the 429303 or its 358 counter part with in an ear shot of women and children.

relodr36
11-05-2013, 05:38 PM
I also hate bid sniping and think a lot of other sites that extend the auction by 5-10 minutes for last second bids have it right, but that's neither here nor there.

Well,I've sold a lot on ebay and also some on Gunbroker,so I have some experience.
Gunbroker's anti-sniping policy results in the seller and GUNBROKER making more money.

paul h
11-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I'd say for less common and popular molds it's worth selling them on flea bay as the premium can be staggering. The good thing about the classifieds here is you'll likely sell the item very quickly and won't have any jacked up ebay/paypal fees, but the prices will be reasonable.

Fishman
11-06-2013, 12:15 AM
It all depends on if you want to make new friends or make money. Either is ok as they are your moulds.

azrednek
11-06-2013, 01:23 AM
It all depends on if you want to make new friends or make money. Either is ok as they are your moulds.

One can not buy real friendship. Take the molds to Ebay.

Hope you don't take it personally, hope I'm wrong but I'd suspect a hustle if the moderators allowed an exception. Asking for or even hinting at making an exception makes me suspect. The policy is in place for good reasons.

HARRYMPOPE
11-06-2013, 03:15 AM
by eh time you pay ebay and paypal fees it costs you nearly 20%.Unless you get a couple of idiots with more money than sense that bid a mold to some crazy price you don make that much.

WallyM3
11-06-2013, 03:20 AM
Generally, eBay's fees depend upon the level at which an item sells: the higher the item's price, the lower the %. My last seller's account indicated that my eBay fees were about 8.4% of the gross. PayPal gets their cut, of course and now including shipping for both FVF and shipping.

That said, who would you guess to be the most ardent watchers for moulds on eBay?

Alvin
11-06-2013, 04:26 AM
I don't take it personally that the mods didn't make an exception, either way I still plan on donating a portion regardless of where I sell them. I'm leaning on posting them on eBay with a BIN/Best offer option. If a member decides to purchase one, I could just cancel the auction and sell it to them privately. If I do that it'll save me money on fees, and also allow the member a lower price then a random ebayer buying it.