PDA

View Full Version : Reloading newbe needs your help

PrecisionAmmunition
11-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Hey everyone,

I am not new to reloading, I have been reloading shotshell for a few years now. Now I have decided to jump into rifle reloading for my 22 250 I picked up and I need suggestions what reloader I should be looking at and which does I should be using etc etc etc . . . .

Open to all suggestions or advice.

Thanks in advance,

PA

ray h
11-05-2013, 09:44 AM
My suggestion would be buy a reloading manual like Sierra, read it twice. I'd buy the best equipment my budget would allow. When I started I ordered the A2 but got the new A3, I've been using it ever since. Good stuff will last your life time.

Wayne Smith
11-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Since you have been loading shotgun probably on what is essentially a progressive machine you will be tempted to go that way. My advice is - Don't! Get a good single stage press, most everybody makes one. The Lee Cast Iron is probably the best at that price point today, and a good press to boot. Learn to load one at a time, then batch, and make your mistakes one cartridge at a time. You will make mistakes! A bullet puller is an essential tool for the reloader. I would suggest Hornaday, Lyman, or RCBS dies and shell holder. I assume you already have a powder scale, if not the RCBS 510 or 1010 (I don't trust the electronic scales!). At least two manuals, and the Sierra is a good one as is the Lyman. I think all the shotgun powders are too fast for the 22-250 so you will need primers, powder and bullets. You are already a reloader so you know how things accumulate! This is just a start.

Ed_Shot
11-05-2013, 11:44 AM
+1 for the Lee Classic Cast Press. Reasonable price and a superb machine made to last a lifetime.

Greg B.
11-05-2013, 11:45 AM
After the manual get a single stage press,dies, shell holder and powder scale. I have been using my RCBS Rockchucker since the ninteen seventies. Same with the old balance beam scale I bought. Get some case sizing lube and don't put any on the case shoulder otherwise you can get grease dents which will fire form out. Make sure whatever press you buy has a priming mechanism on it unless you want to hand prime. Lee makes an economical single stage press and many manufactures offer reloading kits although dies and shell holders are usually extra.

At some point cases need to be trimmed. I have used the Forester tool for a long time plus some Lee trimmers which are not too expensive. This should pretty much get you going however there is usually some other gadget that always seems like a good idea.

mdi
11-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I too suggest reading up on the process and the types of equipment. The ABCs of Reloading, and Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbooke are two really good places to start. Reading these will give you the "hows" of reloading and will give you an idea of what equipment suits your reloading needs.

I would suggest a single stage to start (without set-it-and-ferget-it dies) as you learn what each step does, how it's done and why it's done. I like to tell new reloaders to learn to correctly adjust their dies (vs. turrets, or breech-lock type dies) so trouble shooting will be much easier. Many of new reloaders' questions on forums are answered by suggesting proper die adjustment (chambering problems, crimp problems, case bulging, etc.).

jm423
11-05-2013, 02:43 PM
All above good advice--start single stage (my pref is the RCBS Rockchucker--in fact my pref for reloading gear in general is RCBS), several manuals--Lyman, Hornaday, Sierra, Speer, Nosler are all good in their own way. And don't sell the powder mfr's websites short for reloading data--generally more up-to-date. Just my $0.02 JM

PrecisionAmmunition
11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
I have a Hornady 366 auto full progressive machine. So would the lee classic Kit be a decent starting point with lee dies ?

KYShooter73
11-06-2013, 01:25 AM
I have a Dillon 550b with 20yrs service. I've had a lee single stage for probably 25yrs and It still works fine. I did upgrade it to a Lee Classic Cast Turret recently. I rarely use the auto index feature. I much prefer it over the single stage because I have 4 tool heads so I'm not having to constantly change and adjust dies.

Wayne Smith
11-06-2013, 11:09 AM
I don't like Lee dies, and I have several sets. Look carefully at the kit. Lee's scale is small and barely adequate. Do you need everything in the kit or will you be buying what you don't need? I have a tendency to mix and match to get the best for my application and thus seldom buy kits.

enfieldphile
11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
+1 for the Lee Classic Cast Press. Reasonable price and a superb machine made to last a lifetime.

+2 on that Lee press! There is a very good review on www.surplusrifle.com

mdi
11-06-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't like Lee dies, and I have several sets. Look carefully at the kit. Lee's scale is small and barely adequate. Do you need everything in the kit or will you be buying what you don't need? I have a tendency to mix and match to get the best for my application and thus seldom buy kits.

I also mix and match. I'm not real fond of reloading kits, I think some have stuff not needed. I like to research each piece of equipment for my reloading and get what I think is best for me. That's why I have tools/equipment from Lee, C-H, Pacific, RCBS, Lyman, Ideal, Redding, Hornady, and mebbe more that I have forgotten...

PrecisionAmmunition
11-06-2013, 10:03 PM
That's why I am asking for suggestions what's the best press and dies. I was going to but a Kit for ease but I am open to piecing together a setup to.

EDG
11-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Buy the press of your choice.
Buy a RCBS 505 or 502 , Ohaus, or Hornady triple poise scale.
Buy Forster, Redding or RCBS dies.
a Wilson or RCBS (made by Wilson) deburr tool
Forster case trimmer
a set of Lee dippers
a decent set of loading blocks
Imperial sizing lube
a decent powder funnel

Hey everyone,

I am not new to reloading, I have been reloading shotshell for a few years now. Now I have decided to jump into rifle reloading for my 22 250 I picked up and I need suggestions what reloader I should be looking at and which does I should be using etc etc etc . . . .

Open to all suggestions or advice.

Thanks in advance,

PA

mdi
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
There is so much "personal choice" involved there really isn't a "best" press. It can even boil down to someone preferring one color over another! All today's manufacturers' presses will last a lifetime of reloading, all will produce safe, accurate ammo, some have little added features that may or may not be to your liking. Same with all tools/equipment; some have features necessary, some features likeable, so-so, and some have unwanted features. I prefer balance beam scales (I have 4, kinda like collecting but not) and yep I also have a good digital, just prefer balance beam.

So, if you need to be told which to buy;

Buy a Lee Classic Cast single stage press. Buy the dies and shell holders from Redding. Buy a balanced beam scale from RCBS. Buy a powder measure from C-H. Buy a loading block from MEC. Buy a powder trickler from Hornady. Buy a Ram Prime from RCBS. :lol:

jonas302
11-08-2013, 12:23 AM
If your going to load a lot for it I like the rcbs competition seating die with the little window in the side to drop those tiny bullets in especially the flat base ones otherwise any press and dies will do you well its a personal choice thing
The Lee kit is a pretty good deal even better on sale if you go that way the only other thing to get started will be a case trimmer and a bunch of other toys I can't think of right now(:

Wayne Smith
11-08-2013, 08:33 AM
As you can now see there is almost universal approval of the Lee Cast single stage press. Almost universal approval of the RCBS scales (made by Ohaus). Dies are a matter of choice - I happen to like a secure lockup of the lock ring, Lee doesn't provide that. I like to switch out primer pins when one breaks, Lee claims theirs don't! I've broken two. There are my basic problems with Lee dies, not that they don't work, but I'm used to another style. I think you could probably buy anyone's powder funnel without problem. Powder measures - your choice is almost related to the powder you choose to use than any other single issue. Some work well with Ball powders, the Lee doesn't. Only a few work well with the stick powders. I use my Belding and Mull for almost everything but pistol powders.

How is that for a summary?

mdi
11-09-2013, 01:42 PM
FWIW. I like to "accumulate" reloading stuff and have several methods to measure powder. I really like my C-H powder measure, but my low $$ Lee works excellent with some powders (mine will hold much less than +- .1 grain variance of W231 and Bullseye).