PDA

View Full Version : 16ga Slug????

Fla9-40
11-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Anybody load these and can point me to a source on where get a mold for 16ga? Does anyone make one?

I have an old gun I want to shoot a little and I pure my own 12ga so I thought I would do the same for my 16ga.

turbo1889
11-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Step #1 ~ Have buckshot or one of the other competent machinists members of this board make 0.664" push through sizing die with long gradual taper starting at 0.68" or so. Push punch should be flat nosed and a tight slip fit in 0.664" part of die.

Step #2 ~ Buy Lee 7/8oz. and/or 1-oz. 12ga. "drive key" wad-slug mold and cast some slugs from pure or nearly pure soft lead.

Step #3 ~ Size down those slugs in your push through size die and tumble lube them.

Step #4 ~ Load resulting slugs as 16ga. full-bore diameter slugs on top of "gas seal + stack of nitro cards" for wad-column using appropriate equal weight lead shot load data for the powder charge info.

turbo1889
11-05-2013, 10:52 AM
You can also buy a 0.662" round ball mold and lap it out a little if necessary. No sizing die required, some people don't like idea of simple round ball full-bore diameter slug though.

Tackleberry41
11-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I looked for quite a while and have never found a 16ga slug mold. Just not enough demand.

I made one out of a socket. There was a video somewhere of a guy using them as is. Made a squatish 12pt disc of lead, needless to say they didn't fly to well. But I used the idea. A 13mm 12pt socket gets you the right size to fit down in the shot cup of a regular wad. I have a lathe so it was easy enough to round it out. I made an insert that would drop down inside and form a hollow base. Took a little adjustment to get the weight right. Not the fastest process, but not like I make 100 at a time for an old double barrel. Clamp the socket in a vice, spray some mold release inside, get it hot with a torch, then start pouring. Its easy to get the weight off since its not like a regular mold. Not pour level with the top and its heavy or light. Knock it out from the bottom with a hammer and punch. Pull the skirt piece back out and you have a slug. 86510

nanuk
11-05-2013, 03:17 PM
^^^ like it ^^^

Greg5278
11-05-2013, 05:33 PM
I've got the .662-.664" diameter hollow base Truncated cone mold. You could push them through a Die if you need to reduce the Diameter.
They would be fine in a cylinder bore or rifled bore as is. A push through sizer would be easy, you wouldn't need much force. Someone on the Forum could probably make you a Die for a Reloading Press. I would not make it 7/8-14 Thread. I would make it the 1 1/4" diameter of the Bushing in the Press.
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

Fla9-40
11-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Hey guys thanks or the great info. I have a couple of good ideas now, and will see what I can come up with!

I may be spinning my wheels here. All I remember about this old Browning the last time I did shot it (early 70's) is it had trouble ejecting plastic hulls but loved the paper verity. So it may not like slugs either.

It's a Browning semi-auto and it has "Made in Belgium" on one side. Wished I could put a DOB on it one day.

Thanks again for the help! Got some thinking and studying to do now....

Hogtamer
11-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Let me swap you out of that browning and it will solve your problems. After all, 16 ga is near obsolete, kicks so hard and won't eject? I'm just the guy to take it off your hands! BTW, if you decide to keep it, the DGS 16 ga slugs from BPI are amazing out of my sweet sixteen...

Fla9-40
11-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Hogtamer you would not want this one, I don't think it is a "Sweet Sixteen" it did not have it engraved on the action. But I do appreciate you looking out for me like that! =;)

I went on a site to try and run the numbers but they show all the SN to be alpha-numeric but mine only has five numbers..??? Like 36xxx

I think I will try this route first
You can also buy a 0.662" round ball mold and lap it out a little if necessary. No sizing die required, some people don't like idea of simple round ball full-bore diameter slug though

Then try to re-size some of my LEE 12ga slugs if I can find a sizing die to do so. Also want to try out the socket trick...looks interesting and cheap!!

Hogtamer
11-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Fla, try this site to date your gun. If it's real old it may not help though.
http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=13
Some of the old 16s were chambered shorter than 2 3/4" that's why i bring it up. Another good reason to swap me that old clunker!

Tackleberry41
11-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Socket trick only works if you have a lathe. The ones I saw posted on the internet, were wildly inaccurate. They were just 12pt shaped discs of lead. Few even came close to the target. Gotta have that hollow base or rifling.