PDA

View Full Version : rws 350 magnum

GARD72977
11-05-2013, 01:33 AM
im considering a rws 350 magnum. Any opinions on this gun?

HARRYMPOPE
11-05-2013, 09:48 AM
"Good gun in .22 caliber.can be hard on scopes and mounts."

I am repeating the info I just got from Darrells Airguns in Portland Oregon.I have been eyeing one as well for a field gun.

MT Chambers
11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Powerful springer, not as smooth or refined as Air Arms or Weihrauch.

Multigunner
11-05-2013, 10:23 AM
"Good gun in .22 caliber.can be hard on scopes and mounts."

I am repeating the info I just got from Darrells Airguns in Portland Oregon.I have been eyeing one as well for a field gun.

You want to always use a spring piston airgun specific scope and mount on the more powerful springers.
Some of the higher quality spring gun scopes are recommended for use on SMGs and selective fire rifles, they are that sturdy.
The forward motion of the piston delivers similar forces to that of the autoloader bolts and bolt carriers.

grizzlyadams
11-05-2013, 10:33 AM
the 350 is a great gun if you take the time to learn to shoot it well. it is powerful and accurate. i have one in .177 and .22 it really shines in the bigger caliber as it is capable of well over 20ft lbs. have taken lots of game with it and it will work out to 50yds if you can hold on them.lifetime warranty, good trigger
.good guns for the money

GARD72977
11-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Im really wanting a open sight (regular sights) gun to practice with. I live on 1 acre that is flat so I cant shoot a cartridge gun but could practice with a air gun. I would like something that will shoot 50yds

Looking at 177 for economy. Just going to punch paper or shoot at steel/aluminum targets

roysha
11-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Well, I know I will get flamed for this, but I think that 50 yards is a bit of a reach for the .177. Of course it will shoot that distance and, in some cases, quite accurately, but it takes a LOT of practice with a springer and real good conditions to do so consistently.

Don't be mislead by the velocity hype. Check out some of the information available and it will be noted that the diablo style pellet becomes rather unstable at or above the speed of sound. Plus virtually the only way to achieve those velocities (with a springer) is to use ultra light pellets which are, in my experience, much less accurate plus using them is almost akin to dry firing. I have read, back when I was very active in airgun shooting, that consistent use of the ultra light pellets materially shortened the life of the seals. I believe it may have been one of Gaylord's blogs but I'm not sure. Plus they're darn expensive compared to regular pellets.

I know you asked about the 350 specifically but since you are interested in plinking rather than ultimate power and given that the practical velocity probably will be in the range of 875fps for the class of gun you are looking at, I really think you would be better served with an RWS 48. I do know they are easier to shoot well, at least as accurate and roughly the same price. Also, when you get to be an old guy like me the, the 48 is much easier to cock over a longer period of time. The 350 can become a bit of a job to cock over an afternoon of shooting. Plus you can cock the 48 at the bench without getting up or otherwise completely removing yourself and the gun from the bench for each shot.

If you were looking at the .22 rather than the .177 then I would agree with your choice and opt for the 350.

HARRYMPOPE
11-06-2013, 02:47 AM
I agree with roysha on the 48 in .177.Mine will shoot 3/4"-1/2" with good pellets on calm days at 50 yards.At 100 i got a couple of 2-1/2" 5 shot groups two weeks back but most were closer to 5".I have been shooting 5-7 days a week the last year with springers and i couldn't do this at first.The 48/52's are fairly easy to cock and handle on the bench as well.

Merc41
11-06-2013, 06:21 PM
I use to own a RWS 350 Mag but did sell it. I guess I was getting a bit too old for it. My problem with the rifle was that it was very heavy for my taste and it is a long rifle (Length of actual rifle itself) compared to my current rifle, as I like to hunt with my air rifles, OR I should say USE to hunt with them. Don't do it as much as I use too. I had the .177 caliber, and it definitely had plenty enough power for squirrels and rabbits.
Just my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps.

Pioneer2
11-14-2013, 10:08 PM
I sold my 350/.177 to a guy and he shot a full grown coyote with it.One through the lungs and the next through the frontal eyebrow with an instant kill.I previously killed a lot of grouse with it as well as crows and pigeons.Harold [one mangy feral cat] have a HW80K/.22 now less hold sensitive

Larry Gibson
11-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Looking at 177 for economy. Just going to punch paper or shoot at steel/aluminum targets

If that's the goal on a 1 acre plot that is flat the 350 Magnum in either caliber is "overkill". Way too powerful for the task at hand. I believe the RWS M48 is also. I suggest something like the R9 in .177 for quality, accuracy and easy of shootability. It will do very nice for the task at hand. The RP also will not rattle apart a moderately priced air rifle scope. I've have .20 cal R9 I bought from Darrel years ago at the Puyallup Gunshow. It has a RWS 4X on it and neither have given a lick of problem after years and thousands of pellets shot. The same R9 in .177 would be an excellent choice. The R9s also come with quite serviceable iopen sights but if a little more accuracy is wanted the Beehman Target aperture rear sight is readily available and easily mounted on the existing scope rail. I also wouldn't over look the ubiquitous M34 RWS in .177 either.

As to pellets I also dislike the high speed low drag pellets and the el cheapo ones. I almost always get the Crosman Premier, either HP domed or regular domed. They are moderately priced and the accuracy is always excellent across the range spectrum. Don't waste your time on the "sample" test packages of different pellets. Just get a quality domed pellet like the Crosmans, Gamo and others often sold as "Field Target" pellets. They will give you the best performance.

Larry Gibson

nhrifle
11-15-2013, 11:47 AM
The RWS 350 Mag is a fine rifle, very well made and finished. The shot to shot consistency, which is very important for airgun accuracy, is excellent. The trigger break on mine was perfect out of the box, but I did have to become accustomed to the feel of both the trigger's shape as well as how the rifle itself felt when I held it. Also, there is quite a bit of spring/piston vibration upon firing. No big deal though. As stated, it is a big rifle, longer than most, is heavy and requires some effort to cock, and is quite powerful so make sure you have a good back stop. As far as accuracy, this rifle will hold its own. At 25 yards I can cut little 3 shot cloverleafs if I hold it properly. 50 yards isn't a problem either. A couple years ago my son and I were plinking in a relative's sand pit, which is quite large and has a high dirt wall on the far end. Just for fun we started challenging each other to hit dark spots on the wall, and once I got the elevation dialed in, the RWS was connecting with most shots, and I think the misses were our faults. Later I went back with a laser range finder and found we were shooting at 184 yards. Not too shabby for an airgun!

GARD72977
11-15-2013, 02:04 PM
All the information that has been brought up is appreciated but keep in mind I am not a airgunner (yet) this was intended for practice for ML competition because I do not get enough trigger time. I need to hit larger targets at longer ranges than most Air gun enthuasts are interested in. I did not realize the accuracy that could be achieved using air. I have bought the 350 so its getting shot and shot often!

Now Im interested in a PCP gun. There are no competitions near me. Maybe some of the online contest would be interesting.

GARD72977
11-18-2013, 02:22 PM
The gun came in today and I have to say that the excitement was as high as any cartridge gun I have bought. First impressions were good but I was somehow expecting more. Fit and finish are great. I cleaned the barrel with fishing line and a few 17cal patches. First patch wet with GOO OFF and then three dry patches.

First shot I was shocked at how little it kicked. I was expecting mild 12ga level. I have to say that it is comfortable to shoot. The first time cocking it was awkward at best. This is my first adult air gun and I have never seen a springer in person.

It was real windy but shots at 30yds were easy. It is strange to see large exit holes in dog food cans form a 177. I am hooked. I have to get my range set up. Shooting this thing is as much fun as shooting my flintlocks. I may be a full blown airgunner before long

W.R.Buchanan
11-19-2013, 12:21 AM
You will be.

Randy

HARRYMPOPE
11-19-2013, 01:32 AM
Springers are fun for sure.My RWS 48 likes the 10.5 Crosman Heavies but is old and tired and barely gets 700 with them.Nice trigger isn't it!

GARD72977
11-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I was shooting behind the house today. The neighbors dog keeps coming over annoying me. I keep my pellets and drink on the swing pool deck. I smack the dog every time he gets on the deck. I was shooting and looked around and the dog was licking my can of coke. I was smacked the dog. He was running off and I took the 1/4 full can of coke and slung it at the dog sidearmed from 20 feet away. It smacked him in the head. I kind of felt bad. He came back and I was petting him on the head and he pissed on my shoe. Guess it just goes to show that shooting a airgun will make you more accurate. I could have never hit the dog with the can before!!!!!

W.R.Buchanan
11-21-2013, 11:32 PM
I doubt the dog could have hit your shoe before either! :kidding:

Some things defy explanation.

Randy

tnpaw
01-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Golf Tee's and Paintballs are great practice! Just don't get the green one's! Hard to see against the grass! Deduct points for hitting the T! The wife and I both love to shoot at them off the back deck!

Camba
02-08-2014, 01:45 AM
My RWS 350 in .177 shoots really great with the Crossman premier hp, 7.8gr lead. I measured the speed and it averaged at 1070 pfs. The groups I get at 10 yards is 1/2" or less. My RWS 34, shooting the same pellets is not as accurate (.75") and it yields a velocity of 970 fps. They both give me a workout when I decide to do some target shooting.
A few years back, I took one of those walmart Chinese made Crossman springer to my dad in south America. The rifle was advertised as 1000fps but with lead pellets (7.8gr) it was doing between 850 to 900 fps. It messed up a couple of cheap scopes so my dad uses it iron sights. Very accurate little rifle. They had been shooting raccoon size animals up to 30 yards successfully. Most of them head shot with the exception of one that was shoulder shot that run about 10 yards and rolled down. They gave it a second shot to the head and it was over. The pellet actually went through the body and stop between the muscle and the skin at the opposite side of the impact. I am sure my RWS 350 magnum springer can do better than that.
Camba