PDA

View Full Version : Lee Mould Handles pinned on?

woody402
11-04-2013, 07:12 PM
I have a .45 round ball mould I have no use for so I was going to take the handle off and use it for another mould. Problem is it is pinned on. Is it not removable? I don't have any other lee moulds to compare it to but have a NOE 2 cavity mould on the way I was going to use the handles on.

blpenn66502
11-04-2013, 07:27 PM
You'll need the lee 6 cavity handles, the smaller lees that are pinned aren't going to fit.

williamwaco
11-04-2013, 07:31 PM
They are all pinned.

I am not sure what you could do with them if you managed to get the pins out.

taco650
11-04-2013, 09:39 PM
I removed mine by drilling through the off side of the mold and then driving the pins out with a punch so I could use them on another custom single cavity mold I have. Haven't tried to re-attach it yet.

It would be easier to just order the 6 cavity handles but I didn't want to order just one item and haven't had the $$$ to put together a bigger one to make the shipping cost affordable.

marvelshooter
11-04-2013, 10:23 PM
The new style Lee one and two cavity molds with locating pins do have removable handles. The pin has a hex for an Allen wrench and a fast spiral that comes out with about a half turn to the left. I have no idea if the handles will fit any other molds.

dikman
11-05-2013, 07:05 AM
I was given a mold with my revolver, but it was a bit the worse for wear. I did the same as taco - I carefully measured and marked the pin location on the blank side of the mold, drilled a small hole and used a broken drill bit to drive out the pins. Pretty easy, really, and they went back in ok once I'd finished cleaning everything up.

taco650
11-05-2013, 08:10 AM
The new style Lee one and two cavity molds with locating pins do have removable handles. The pin has a hex for an Allen wrench and a fast spiral that comes out with about a half turn to the left. I have no idea if the handles will fit any other molds.

I think they'll work for any brand mold but will fit more loosely. The thing I've noticed is Lyman, RCBS & other brand handles have thicker arms on them because the slot in the mold blocks is wider than on Lee. The other thing to consider is how many cavities the mold has. I removed mine from a 2-cavity 44 cal 310FPGC to use on a 303 cal single cavity. However, they might not work for a 3 or 4 cavity mold.

woody402
11-05-2013, 06:36 PM
I removed mine by drilling through the off side of the mold and then driving the pins out with a punch so I could use them on another custom single cavity mold I have. Haven't tried to re-attach it yet.

It would be easier to just order the 6 cavity handles but I didn't want to order just one item and haven't had the $$$ to put together a bigger one to make the shipping cost affordable.

I drilled mine out the same way today. Worked great thanks.

paul h
11-05-2013, 10:52 PM
I removed lee 2 cavity handles from several lee molds over the years. I use a small burr on a moto tool to grind out the crimp. The pins should just drop out. If you decide to re-use the handles on that mold all you have to do is d/t the mold for a long set screw or cap screw.

Yes, the lee 2 cavity handles are thin so you'll either have to live with the slop or add some washers to make up the difference. Just the other night I cast up some ammo for my wrist rocket with a .350" round ball mold someone had given me and that I'd added lee 2 cavity handles to. I can't believe I was casting from a single cavity mold for a slingshot, at least I only cast 2 pounds of lead.

454PB
11-05-2013, 11:02 PM
I've done as paul h describes, and even reinstalled the handles, then used a punch to re-crimp the pins in place.