PDA

View Full Version : Enamel coated boolits

Skip62
11-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Maybe this was covered in another thread and I missed it. Ok, this guy is using regular old oil based enamel to 2500fps. So I'm coating some now. If this works I will be very happy, 1 qt for 8.97 at Home Depot.

Anyone else try it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJwiPvYxdc

bangerjim
11-04-2013, 07:15 PM
I would be leery of that! Enamel is a volatile hydrocarbon-based evaporative coating that relies on a L_____O______N______G time to dry. He may be baking it to speed it up......but it is still just plain old enamel paint.

I avoid ANY of the liquid slop-on-tumble methods as they are messy, uneven, take way too much time, requiring multiple coats and bakes, and just look like crapola. Epoxy (sprayed on) and ESPECIALLY powder coat (My ONE and ONLY method of producing PEFECT boolits) rely on proven scientific formulations of chemical hardening and molecular bonding to form a hard surface. I sure would not wast my time!

But it is your call. Many on here have gone to electrostatic gun powder coating to achieve perfect hard coated boolits that need no lube, look great, shoot straight, and do NOT lead.

bangerjim

Skip62
11-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the input. I've been doing the epoxy paint, and piglet method PC since spring and have coated many thousands of bullets. I don't have to a bullet that looks perfect and I have guys wanting to buy mine so they must look good enough. They all shoot great. The thing with enamel is, it will be the cheapest thing I've done so far.

AmishWarlord
12-18-2013, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=Skip62;2461546]Maybe this was covered in another thread and I missed it. Ok, this guy is using regular old oil based enamel to 2500fps. So I'm coating some now. If this works I will be very happy, 1 qt for 8.97 at Home Depot.

Anyone else try it yet?

How did it work out for you Skip?

I developed that system to be as off the shelf as possible. Powder Coating is the best but it's not like to can go get the powder or spray gun at your local Ace. I have since changed the system to doing three coats then baking rather than the three separate baked on coats.

I have shot these at over 3,000FPS with no coating failure how ever there is still the cast bullet accuracy speed limit of about 2,400FPS. So I'm still using heavy slow bullets in 7.62x54,76.2x51, 303, and 308. All pistol calibers have worked really well. Even the speedy 7.62x25mm Tok

popper
12-18-2013, 06:29 PM
cast bullet accuracy speed limit of about 2,400FPS. Why?

felix
12-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Same worldly limitations (you can name them as you think of them) which limit BR bullet accuracy to circa 3200 fps. ... felix

AmishWarlord
12-18-2013, 08:14 PM
I didn't say speed limit. I said accuracy speed limit. Lead bullets shoot great until you go over 2,400FPS then the groups start to open up.

Jarle was shooting some powder coated 55gr lead bullets out of a .223 at 3,900FPS They shot out of the barrel just fine with no leading. They yielded a 12" group at 100 yards though.

prickett
12-18-2013, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the input. I've been doing the epoxy paint, and piglet method PC since spring and have coated many thousands of bullets. I don't have to a bullet that looks perfect and I have guys wanting to buy mine so they must look good enough. They all shoot great. The thing with enamel is, it will be the cheapest thing I've done so far.

Hey Skip,
Have you tried the dry tumble coat PC method for your pistol boolits? It ROCKS! If not, get some HF Red (won't work with their black), and give it a try. You'll never do Piglet again. One coat, no acetone, no wasted paint, very decent appearance. By far the best/quickest/easiest coating method of any of them.

popper
12-19-2013, 05:39 PM
AmishWarlord - I understood what you said. Your statement kind of sounded like some blanket statement math formula you found, like the RPM limit. I do think you mean to say most of us casters can't make boolits good enough for faster with accuracy, with our guns, moulds, alloy, etc. Is the Easy Button limit 2400, 2500? I sure don't know. Jarle's boolits in a 1:9 is turning >300K RPM so his alloy is good, Maybe he should slow them down to ~ 3K fps?
I tried MinWax poly finish in 40sw couple years ago - it worked but I didn't think about tumbling & cooking. Dipping & air drying was a pain.