PDA

View Full Version : S&W J-Frame Accessory Question

Jeff82
11-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I've seen some J-frame S&Ws modified by adding a piece of metal to the front of the grip on the frame to give a more solid hold. Does anyone know what these are called?

fouronesix
11-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Currently I think Tyler Manufacturing calls them a T-Grip. In the past, other companies have made them probably using different names.

codgerville@zianet.com
11-04-2013, 03:43 PM
I've seen some J-frame S&Ws modified by adding a piece of metal to the front of the grip on the frame to give a more solid hold. Does anyone know what these are called?
Grip adapters. Pachmayr used to sell them.

John Allen
11-04-2013, 03:48 PM
The Tyler tee grip. I really hated mine. Try replacing your grip with a boot grip it is wider but does not add any length.

Mk42gunner
11-04-2013, 04:49 PM
I have used the Tyler T grip adapter on K-Frames and like it. I have never used one on a J-Frame, but it would be worth a try, if you can find one these days.

Robert

Larry in MT
11-04-2013, 05:01 PM
This is my K Frame Model 18 with the Tyler T Adaptor. Be sure you check their shipping times out before ordering. They were having terrible problems about a year or so ago.
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/larrykay47/13974504.jpg (http://s861.photobucket.com/user/larrykay47/media/13974504.jpg.html)

PS I've never had a Tyler on a J Frame either, but it should work fine. My Model 34 wears these old Herrett's that I like a lot.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/larrykay47/7bfd426f.jpg (http://s861.photobucket.com/user/larrykay47/media/7bfd426f.jpg.html)

LeMat
11-04-2013, 09:44 PM
I absolutely love Tyler T's. I've tried factory banana grips, Herrett's, Hogues, Pach's....... I always go back to the Tyler. I give up absolutely nothing in compactness and gain everything in comfort......
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/LeMat_photos/Forum%20Guns/2012-10-09_12-40-26_315.jpg

Yes the company was having some issues a year or so again. I believe things have been straightened out. You'll need to call them and place an order over the phone - they're kind of old school. ;)

There is/was a gentleman on the S&W forum that was making grip adapters from some kind of resin. Seems folks like them. They are very similar to the Tylers.

imashooter2
11-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Have you considered the Hogue Bantam grip? I really like them on concealment J and Ks. If enhanced grip is what you are looking for, these are the ticket.

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/360a-760-1.jpg

John Allen
11-04-2013, 10:19 PM
imashooter, this a great grip for the j frames. I got one when they first came out and it is still on the gun

MtGun44
11-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Mostly the grip adapters have been replaced by grips with that shape built
in.

Bill

Hardcast416taylor
11-04-2013, 10:33 PM
For me I went back to the original manner my S&W 36 looked like when it was made with no T- grip. Robert

Petrol & Powder
11-04-2013, 10:38 PM
I always liked grip adaptors but they have largely been replaced by boot grips.
Here's something I'll just throw out there, http://snubtraining.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/snub-training-werner-carry-system/

Pepe Ray
11-05-2013, 02:11 AM
These new rubber/plastic grips are great, for sure, but the Tylers are also.
they are a FAMILY owned/operated co. Not corporate type. Yes they had some family type problems a few years ago and if your of an impatient nature you should deal with the BIGGIES.
The Tyler family is honest and reliable and produces a fine product. Production is sometimes slow but always comes thru.
The "T" grips work fine on J frames and also on old Colts.
Pepe Ray

winelover
11-05-2013, 08:01 AM
My Model 60 wears the Tyler T-Grip.

Winelover

Bret4207
11-05-2013, 09:47 AM
I have an aluminum T-grip on my Bodyguard. Fits my hand great and looks old school...like me.

Jeff82
11-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Yes. the reason I want to go with a T-grip is to maintain the classic look of the Model-36.

2wheelDuke
11-06-2013, 09:53 AM
My Model 60 wears the Tyler T-Grip.

Winelover

I like the humpback grip to shroud the hammer. Who makes that?

Alvin
11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Speaking of grips, does anyone have any old ones lying around that they would be willing to trade for? I have the crimson trace and don't care for it and my friend wants it. If you do please send me a PM, also would be interested in an IWB holster. If you are in the market for a set of crimson trace grips, I believe they still offer a 60% military/LEO discount for up to two a year. I have to look into this adapter, my big hands would like a little bit more coverage. Thanks.

cajun shooter
11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
The Tyler Grip adapter has been around for many years and I can tell you that the biggest reason they stayed in business was for Police Departments. Back in the 50's, 60's and early 70's most all large Police Departments had a set of rules that forbid any officer from changing the grips or adding anything to the issued firearm that was a permanent fix. This included triggers, hammers and grips. The real problem came to light when the departments started hiring people and putting more firearms training into the programs. The stock grip on the J and K frames are just a middle of the road grip. They decided to allow the officers to put grip adapters on their issued guns.
The reason I know about this is that I worked in a gun store in 1971 and when they issued the ok for the adapters we were out of stock for weeks on end. We would receive an order and then sell all of them in two days. It was like that for a very long time. If you have never used a J or K frame S&W with one of these then you will be surprised if you do. They work well and give the revolver a much better grip and position in the hand.
This all ended when it was OK éd to use larger grips

winelover
11-06-2013, 06:04 PM
I like the humpback grip to shroud the hammer. Who makes that?

Bianchi use to offer them in rubber. Just yesterday, I went on their website and couldn't find them. However, if you look up their speed strips, they show a J-frame wearing a set. Mine were made, by me, out of black linen micarta. Here is the opposite side.

Winelover

Thin Man
11-06-2013, 06:28 PM
The Tyler company is still open for business. Their web site is t-grips.com and the owner/manager is a relative (son or grandson) to Melvin Tyler who created the business and t-grip product. They are located in Oklahoma City. You can order from the web site or telephone. When the recent rash of tornados hit OK he lost his house, also had extensive damage to the business property. He had to re-locate the business, took a few weeks to get back in operation. I expect he is back up to routine production by now and probably is still trying to get his personal side back in order. He surely would appreciate any business you want to start his way.
Thin Man

fouronesix
11-06-2013, 08:29 PM
I see them now and then in the "used" box at guns shops and at gun shows. I've had one mounted on my M36 since the early 80s. I don't know if they take the place of a custom fit-to-hand full sized grip but they do add some length to a small factory grip. That little extra length helps me. The adapter seems to nestle nicely between the first and second joint of my fingers. Seems to add quite a bit of lateral stability to the grip when firing double action.

And, a nice feature is the simplicity of non-permanent attachment.

Jeff82
11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I sent off a check to Tyler Manufacturing for the shiney black version.

Petrol & Powder
11-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Tyler grip adaptors are "Old School Cool", I think you'll like them.