PDA

View Full Version : Think I'm starting to catch on

Mod42
11-03-2013, 11:42 PM
New guy here, been lurking for about a year and a half and I just wanted to tell everyone what a help this forum has been.
Been loading for about 40 years, and started casting a little over a year ago. I found this form about two years ago and started reading. It didn't take long to figure that this casting thing wasn't rocket science and thought I should give it a try. So, I bought a couple of Lee molds, push through dies, and a melting pot. I manage an auto center so I have a good supply of wheel weights. First project make ingots out of wheel weights. Found out real fast that an Aluminum pan is not a good smelting vessel even if it is a quarter inch thick. Cleaned up the mess on the ground and came to this forum for answers. Next project, make some of those lead muffins into boolits. Poured the lead into the Lee mold, opened it up and was amazed that that lead I just let run into the mold kind of looked like a bullet!! Wasn't so pretty anymore when I got done pounding the bullet out of the mold with a 4 lb hammer. Tried a few more and pretty much the same results, couldn't get the bullet out with out using excessive force. Back to the forum to figure out what to do. Learned all about Lementing, did it on all three molds. Saved them from becoming targets at the rifle range. Next up was lubing, had all of that Alox that Lee was nice enough to send me with the push through dies, so I sprayed it on......back to the forum. I learned about mixing Alox, wax, and mineral spirits into something that actually works!
I had been buying store bought cast boolits for years for the .357, and was expecting a little leading with my home brewed just like the store bought stuff. I was really happy when the .357's worked great, with no leading. So I loaded up 750 .45 ACP's. After about fifty of them the barrel was so badly leaded that I could have opened a mine. I'm getting pretty smart by now so I figure the alloy is to soft ( don't laugh at me I'm still learning). Back to the forum to learn about water dropping and heat treating, didn't help. Good thing I only loaded 200 more. Read a lot about slugging the barrel, but by then I was too smart, I knew that was not going to help. Bought a better cleaning kit, leading was going to happen, I was using lead bullets. Then one night after spending an hour removing lead from my .45, I thought just for kicks I'll pound a slug through the barrel. What I discovered was that I was shooting bullets that were .0015 smaller than the barrel diameter. Back to the forum for answers. Opened the die up to the proper size and no more leading. Then I started to read about lube (by now I was to sophisticated for Lee's Alox), Ben's Red sounded like something I had to have, mixed up a batch. Tried pan lubing after spending a lot of time on the forum reading about it. Made cutters out of old shells. All I am going to say about pan lubing is that UPS brought me a brand new Lyman 4500 two weeks ago.

I mean it with all my hart when I tell you that I would not be casting right now if this forum wasn't here to get me back on track when things went wrong. The volume and quality of the information available here is fantastic. I was able to find answers for each problem that I encountered along the way, and because of that I was able to maintain interest until I actually learned how to cast a decent boolit. Today I can cast a boolit that I am proud to show other shooters, in a mold that I took the "rough edges" off, lubed with a concoction that I mixed up myself. When I get done shooting my barrel just needs a quick wipe and it's clean....life don't get much better!!

Thanks.....bruce

el roboto
11-03-2013, 11:59 PM
These guys are great. Only forums where theres not at least 1 arrogant jerk who chimes in to bash me for asking my noob questions. I use the lee ingot molds for my wheel weight ingots. I have 5 of them, I fill one then sit it in front of a fan and it hardens faster, I then dump the ingots and place the mold on a damp towel to cool it. Useing this process I can rotate those 5 molds and cast 100lbs of pounds of ingots non stop. Found this to be a much neater and cleaner process then the muffin tin thing. All ingots are uniform, perfect size for dropping into a melting pot, and easy to inventory.

Bzcraig
11-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Welcome aboard, enjoy the addiction and continue to spend all the money you were going to save.:lovebooli

littlejack
11-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Mod42:
Welcome to the CastBoolits.
Jack

btroj
11-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Keep on learning. Casting, loading, and shooting are great learning tools. Keep an eye on what works and what doesn't. What is different when it works?

Don't be afraid to ask questions but always keep in mind that trial and error are old school learning tools and they still work pretty dang well.

waco
11-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Welcome aboard! If you have a problem or question, someone here is bound to have the answer.

tg32-20
11-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Welcome to this incredible forum, in my opinion it is the only place to get true honest facts about casting.

I learned the "hard way" about fit to bore sizing. It is everything when it comes to shooting cast boolits.

Driver man
11-04-2013, 11:01 PM
This is a great site. welcome.

Slow Elk 45/70
11-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Welcome , Sir, you have already learned that there is an answer to most questions concerning making cast boolits on this site ....Most people are ready and willing to help, good luck.

Ben
11-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Some of my BEST friends are right here on this site.

Ben

35 shooter
11-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Good choice on the BEN'S RED. If you made the full recipe you'll have enough for a looooooong time!

Three44s
11-05-2013, 01:50 AM
mod42,

All of that learning here ........ and this is just your first post?

WOW! You sure kept your powder dry!!

While it's true you hear better if you keep quiet ........ I hope you feel like posting more often ....... WELCOME ABOARD!!

Best regards

Three 44s

Bret4207
11-05-2013, 09:33 AM
We should all be thankful we have this community to go to. In 78 or 79 when I started you read the Lyman book and Elmer Keith and you spent years figuring things out. Today we can have a noob up and running successfully in a few days.

Lance Boyle
11-05-2013, 10:37 AM
yep, I probably wouldn't have attempted it if I hadn't seen so many referrals to this site, and did a lot of reading and have a local friend who has been doing it for years.

The bad part is I have accumulated a lot more stuff just to cast! I started out with old busted SS pot on the coleman stove, then the tiny RCBS 10lb lead pot, now I'm using a ProMelt I picked up at half price at a gunshow.

The even more bad part I am moving across the state. Good thing I returned a fair chunk of lead to the berm.

I can read a lot more here then I can find the time to use the knowledge. One of these days, I'll get set up all proper and go to town. On my scouting trip for my move I see a place called Babbet Bob's. Now I'm dying to see if Babbet Bob is the mecca for lead.

ETA- the site has a great warm feel of a well run gun club. No off color busting of chops, no jumping down throats, good discussion and sharing of info and sometimes some normally polite agree to disagree on things in threads. Everyone is welcome as long as they have manners. The way it aught to be.

Gtek
11-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Welcome aboard and welcome to the madness, and just think of all the money your saving rolling your own, (He-He). Gtek

Mod42
11-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the information and the warm welcome. This is a great site, and I am very happy to have found it.

bruce