PDA

View Full Version : Yet another trapdoor thread

Mike Malat
11-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Took the new to me trapdoor out to the range for the first time today. What a hoot. Started out with a .457 RB load under 40gr of Kik 2F. When that didn't break anything is proceed to shoot a mix of 53, 55, and 70 gr loads with the 405 gr Lee HB boolit. I forgot to bring my cross stick rest so groups were a bit larger than what I believe the gun is capable of. 4" vert x 10" horiz for the majority of the rounds and printing about 12" high @ 100 yds. At some time in the past the barrel's been cut back to 25 inches with a ramp front site installed and a 30-40 Krag rear site. So if I can't work out a load that gives me a 100 yard zero I may look into replacing the rear site. But that's in the future. In the meantime, time to clean up the brass and prep it for the next batch of loads.

bigted
11-03-2013, 06:35 PM
WELCOME Mike. cool on the springfield. sounds like you are havin a ball with it.

I always like to see photo's of everybody's shootin iron. ???

sounds like that LEE is the best boolit for these and mine is no different ... it likes that .459 inch 405 grain hollow base boolit with either straight blackpowder or a mix I use. some smokeless loads works well too but non as much fun as the straight bp loads. my biggest surprise came when after I shot the first 70 grain 2F loads under that LEE boolit in my 1888 ... I flipped up the trapdoor and nearly got my eye put out with the flying empty case ... very surprised with the gusto in which it flings those empty's outta the action for the reload. don't know why it surprised me so much but it did and continues to please me with its reaction to everything I feed it.

have fun with yours and ... pictures??

John Allen
11-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Mike, the trapdoors are my favorite. Once you get a load that works you will be a happy camper. I run soft lead in mine and do not even size them I just pan lube them. With most trapdoors the bigger the boolit the better. I am shooting 459 to 460.

Mike Malat
11-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Here's some pics. Even though it's been modified from the orig, they did a pretty good job of it. The bore is excellent, nice and bright with crisp rifling even after a couple of weeks scrubbing it. I'm using a 20:1 mix sized to .459. Ted. Shell ejection is best described as energetic. :-) I learned real quick to cover the action with my hand when opening the action otherwise I'd be chasing brass.

Mike Malat
11-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Noticed that I didn't have any full length pics so went downstairs and took a quick snap. This will give you an idea on the overall mods done.

bigted
11-04-2013, 12:08 AM
looks like a very fun rifle and something that will give you good service for years. that be a different sorta "improvement" but it do look serviceable. have fun and again ... welcome.

ogre
11-06-2013, 08:04 PM
You guys are getting me all fired up. My, new to me, 1884 rifle arrived yesterday.

Mike Malat
11-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Congrats. Get ready to have some fun. If you shoot it at a public range like I do you'll get all kinds of looks from the "tactical" crowd when it goes off. :-) Especially when the wind is blowing back towards the line. "Look at that guy shooting one of those civil war guns..... " . They're trying to get their rifle to group at 25-50yds and I'm the only one with a target @ 100yds. :D . Need to find a range that's longer than 100 yds and a load that will do it justice..