PDA

View Full Version : Using concrete as backstop for casted bullets?

wb_carpenter
11-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Basically have a new place to shoot but the backstop is exposed concrete drain pipes.

If shooting casted 9mm bullets or handgun bullets is there a chance of a ricochet?

runfiverun
11-03-2013, 05:07 PM
are these drain pipes in use?
if so they won't be draining much for too long, except all over your range.

the boolits will most likely slide along the curved surface.

wb_carpenter
11-03-2013, 05:33 PM
are these drain pipes in use?
if so they won't be draining much for too long, except all over your range.

the boolits will most likely slide along the curved surface.

No they are just stacked up on the property.

Behind them is a lake about 1000yds long, behind that is woods then ~1 mile to a major road.

btroj
11-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Concrete doesn't hold up for long to bullet impacts unless it is very, very thick. You also won't be recovering much lead, the bullets will tend to go to pieces.

wb_carpenter
11-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Concrete doesn't hold up for long to bullet impacts unless it is very, very thick. You also won't be recovering much lead, the bullets will tend to go to pieces.

Its either that or the public range where I get nothing.

This isn't property I own so building on it probably isn't an option(dont want to ask). Mostly worried about ricochets.

What is the risk vs a jacketed bullet? I shoot pistol competitions and catch one from steel from time to time if thats as bad as it can get then I'm not worried.

btroj
11-03-2013, 07:11 PM
It won't be that bad but in time the concrete will fracture and you will have holes thru it.

Is stacking hay bales in front of it a viable option? Slows down bullets, easy to stack, and it would cut down on ricochets.

slim1836
11-03-2013, 07:19 PM
If the property owner has plans for that pipe, I would think again about destroying it. If it is scrap, have at it.

Slim

bhn22
11-03-2013, 07:26 PM
How close would you be to these drain pipes? This doesn't sound wise at all.

DRNurse1
11-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Good advice so far. A baffle of some sort above the pipe to slow down rounds that glance off the top and using 4x4 x8 posts on the pipes (lay them in the same direction as the pipes) may also prolong the usefulness of the backstop and increase your lead recovery. Just my $0.02

Duckiller
11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Why do you think you have the right to destroy someone else's drain pipes? I think your biggest risk would be your neighbor having the sheriff arrest you for destroying his pipe.

waksupi
11-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Depending on the size of the pipe, they could end up costing you $1000 each.

wb_carpenter
11-03-2013, 10:17 PM
If the property owner has plans for that pipe, I would think again about destroying it. If it is scrap, have at it.

Slim

It's scrap.. Per the landowner

Why do you think you have the right to destroy someone else's drain pipes? I think your biggest risk would be your neighbor having the sheriff arrest you for destroying his pipe.

Why assume I am just blasting away at someones pipes without permission and how did you conjure up a neighbor?

How close would you be to these drain pipes? This doesn't sound wise at all.

As close or as far away as I need to be but lets say 10-50yds.

Bullshop Junior
11-03-2013, 10:27 PM
My backstop in a pile of old truck tires off of my pickup. I havr tem stacked about 6 high and 4 deep. Easy lead recovery as the tires allow access inside my backstop (they are not filled with anything) and i havnt had anything shoot through it, and when i do, ill add more tires to the back or front.

mikeym1a
11-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Well, he says he has a new place to shoot, on someone else's land. I presume he has permission to be there, and hopefully he would have discussed with the owner his intention to go shooting. If there is an agreement between them, and the owner knows he will be shooting at the concrete pipes, then there is no trouble. To prolong the life of the backstop, you might consider bringing earth fill in and filling them. That would be a slow job, but, enough fill for one pipe each time you come out would get the job done. But, make sure the landowner is fully aware of your intentions, and make sure the the pipes are disposable. Happy Shooting!!!!!! :D

RED333
11-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Get ya a 55 gallon plastic drum, fill it with dirt, it will last a fair amount of time.
When it is shot to pieces, mine the dirt for your lead.
Then start over.

GARD72977
11-03-2013, 10:34 PM
You have almost been named a criminal!!!!!!! Lol

It's scrap.. Per the landowner

Why assume I am just blasting away at someones pipes without permission and how did you conjure up a neighbor?

As close or as far away as I need to be but lets say 10-50yds.

wb_carpenter
11-03-2013, 10:35 PM
My backstop in a pile of old truck tires off of my pickup. I havr tem stacked about 6 high and 4 deep. Easy lead recovery as the tires allow access inside my backstop (they are not filled with anything) and i havnt had anything shoot through it, and when i do, ill add more tires to the back or front.

I like this idea. The road to his spot has a few big tires and I could stack a few around the concrete pipes.

I'll talk it over with him.

Blacksmith
11-04-2013, 12:58 AM
If you are shooting at the convex side of the pipe I wouldn't worry much about stuff coming back at you but it may ricochet off in other directions. But if the pipes are broken and a concave side is facing you it might turn the bullet around and send it back at you without slowing down much. It would be best to have something to absorb the energy rather than deflect it.

RED333
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
If you are shooting at the convex side of the pipe I wouldn't worry much about stuff coming back at you but it may ricochet off in other directions. But if the pipes are broken and a concave side is facing you it might turn the bullet around and send it back at you without slowing down much. It would be best to have something to absorb the energy rather than deflect it.
I had forgot about this.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Barrel of sand is a great idea !!!

I would worry about random errant ricochet when shooting at concrete, but the barrel of sand will solve all of that, unless you have a wild flier. recovering your boolits is a BIG plus too.
Jon

shooterg
11-04-2013, 09:09 AM
If available on the property, cut and stack suitably sized timber. Put a barrel at the firing line and burn it when leadfilled to warm you on cold days and recover the lead. If the landowner uses firewood, offer to cut some for his use(unleaded !).