PDA

View Full Version : Wanna go pheasent huntin?

southpaw
11-03-2013, 04:23 PM
My Dad is in the co-op with the game commission and one of the things they do is release pheasents on the property. There are around 12 of us that hunt it but seldom do we all get out at the same time (deer season first day maybe). If interested and you don't mind hunting with one or two others (not saying that there would be anyone else out but it is possible) let me know.

You get special treatment if you bring a kid :-)

I am in Tunkhannock. If you can say that on your first try you are welcome :D (not to mention probably live close enough)

Jerry Jr.

runfiverun
11-03-2013, 05:12 PM
I don't have anything to compare saying it properly against.
maybe toole sounds the same and y'all are pronouncing it wrong. :lol:
anyway i'll have to pass on the offer. [gotta work]

mikeym1a
11-03-2013, 05:22 PM
My mind playing tricks..............First time I read the title, I saw '.....wanna go peasant hunting?...'

southpaw
11-03-2013, 07:00 PM
RFR you mean to tell me that you have been offered a guided pheasent hunt and you are gonna go to work instead? Geesh :D

Mikey at first I thought that was what I had put for the title!

BTW this doesn't have to be any special day, just get ahold of me and I will make sure that it is known that another person(s) will be out. There is plenty of land that several can share ;)

Jerry Jr.

shooter93
11-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Those places usually have pretty good bird hunting guys. We have similar things here and yes..I can pronounce it...lol. I'd love to see birdhunting back like it was hen I was a young man. It was always my favorite kind of hunting in Pa.

starmac
11-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Rfive, if you are talking about Toole Ut. I would like to what the thinking was behind the spelling myself on that one. Tremonton too for that matter. lol

Sweetpea
11-03-2013, 08:20 PM
If you start going down the road of odd names in Utah, you better pack!

It's gonna be a loooooong trip...

starmac
11-03-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't find the names all that odd, but do the spelling. AND getting directions sometimes has been something else. Every body will tell you 90th avenue, when it is actually 9000th av, then when you call them on it, they always say we call it 90th. the street signs means nothing. lol

Blacksmith
11-04-2013, 01:09 AM
I can also pronounce Wallenpaupack, I'm not close enough to go hunting but La Anna was named after my Great Great grandmother.

starmac
11-04-2013, 01:21 AM
The first time I ever drove through Quitaque Tx. I had to stop and ask someone how you pronounced it, just out of curiosity. lol

southpaw
11-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Actually Tunkhannock is said pretty much the way it is spelled but for some reason most people can not say it on the first or second try. Tunk-han-nock (han like in hand but without the d). People seem to like to add vowels or omitt parts.

So... anybody wanna go shoot some swamp chickens? My beagle pup is starting to get the scent and has flushed a couple for me fo far.

Jerry Jr.

Rangefinder
11-04-2013, 05:31 PM
MAN, I wish we were close enough to take you up on the offer! My 4-year old "daddy's girl" would get a real kick out of a hunt like that. She sure enjoyed the experience of helping me field dress grousse and then cooking over our campfire. She said it was the bestest chicken ever, 'cause she did it.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-05-2013, 07:52 PM
I am way too far away to be able to enjoy your offer but that was nice thing to put up for the guys. Even in the 70's there were plenty of rabbits and deer and places to hunt. The small farms got bought up by bigger farmers and it got hard to get permission to go on their land. The coyotes came in and that was pretty much it for rabbits, quail and pheasants around here. I have not seen one on a country road for years. Too bad.

Firebricker
11-05-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't find the names all that odd, but do the spelling. AND getting directions sometimes has been something else. Every body will tell you 90th avenue, when it is actually 9000th av, then when you call them on it, they always say we call it 90th. the street signs means nothing. lol
Starmac, I've worked in Utah quite a bit and the first time I got directions it was hopeless ! They did the same type of thing to me 90th instead of 9000th. Once I got use to their system I actually got to like it. Glad to see I'm not the only one confused at first LOL. BTW Tooele is a nice place that's one of the towns I work in. FB

**oneshot**
11-05-2013, 09:47 PM
I always hear it called Tunk a nunk for some reason. I think it was a pittston thing. ha ha!

southpaw
11-05-2013, 11:32 PM
I got my first bp pheasant today. I have no idea why they even put 2 barrels on them old guns. Bird went up, I shot, then I waited for the cloud to move and I saw it flapping on the ground. No chance for a follow up shot there. The hammers do make it a good bit more interesting since I am used to just flipping the safety of and firing away.

Tunk a nunk is one of the more popular ones. Also I get Tun ka han nook. I can't really pick on any one for pronunciation since I am one of the worst.

Maybe I will take the mutt out tomorrow and she if we can get a couple more.

Jerry Jr.

bart55
11-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Hope you had a great time ,just took my grandson out for grouse ,we managed to put two out but never saw them .Hunting near Elk mountain at my sisters land .Seems that since all of the coyotes and the abundance of hawks there is a lack of small game.Though you can hear the coyotes even in the day. I also am using an old semi hammerless bp shotgun .Fun but hard to see after the first shot!How about the way Scranton is butchered in the mid valley lingo?

dragon813gt
11-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Wish I would have seen this sooner. I'd love to bring my GSP up to see what he can do. I haven't really trained him because there are no birds in the south east. Well I did see one yesterday while deer hunting. He made his way a few miles from where they stock. But those farm raised birds sure don't like to fly. I have a place in Dingman's Ferry(Pecks Pond is closer) so your not that far away.

TXGunNut
11-18-2013, 12:05 AM
The first time I ever drove through Quitaque Tx. I had to stop and ask someone how you pronounced it, just out of curiosity. lol

If the Sportsman was open I hope you stopped in. There was a time when that was one of the best burgers in the state. Friday night was fajita night. Had to ask for a menu, most folks didn't need one. Stopped in there during a hog hunt one chilly spring day after getting a good soaking, barroom had a nice potbelly stove and we soon had a good fire going. Roy (owner) was killed trying to settle a misunderstanding, new owners never could make a go of it. And it's KittyKway.

Hardcast416taylor
11-18-2013, 12:14 AM
My mind playing tricks..............First time I read the title, I saw '.....wanna go peasant hunting?...'

No, that "season" is for vampires in Transylvania.Robert

southpaw
11-18-2013, 01:03 AM
Dragon- There happens to be 2 weeks left before deer season ;). Come on guys I need someone to come up this sat and do some bear drives for me :smile:.

Is it normal for a beagle to chase birds? My pup has taken to their scent. Every time we go out she gets a little better. She now has a special bark for when she is on a hot trail. She has put several up for us so far.

Ohh... one other thing. I learned that one should not pull back both hammers on their old side by side in preperation for the flush. 180 grs of black going off and pushing 2 and half ounces of shot has a bit of recoil to it! I saw the birds on the bank and knew they would be flushing soon so I pulled them both back, the dog got closer and birds wen every direction and I shot at one. Good thing I had my footing or the miss would have been even more embarressing!

One last tip. After you fire the right barrel and pull the left hammer back your chances of getting the bird increase greatly if you pull the back trigger :lol:. Don't matter how hard you pull on that front one it aint going off!!

Jerry Jr.

fatnhappy
11-18-2013, 01:23 AM
I am in Tunkhannock. If you can say that on your first try you are welcome :D (not to mention probably live close enough)

Jerry Jr.

Sounds like fun for somebody.
I can pronounce it. I've driven fire house hill road in a snow storm. One of my friends from work is from Meshoppen.
BTW, NY has a state park of the same name.

JeffinNZ
11-18-2013, 03:48 AM
I inadverently went pheasant hunting last week. I was running in the forest with Bella dog when I heard a bird going ballistic. Turned and saw a hen pheasant reading Bella the riot act. Called the puppy off and she came running to me with a tiny head sticking out one side of her mouth and a pair of feet out the other side. Then she swallowed it. Eeeewwww.

JWFilips
11-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Southpaw:

PM sent