PDA

View Full Version : .22 rimfire to .224 but not the right result.

ronaldod
11-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Hi today i got a litlle stuck in the search of perfectness of the reshaping a .22 case to a .224 bullet.

90% of mine finished bullets have wrinkles. Normally i would try to post a picture but have some problems to get that working.
It is not that curly wrinkle when you have to much lube in the die. But one that is even spaced around the top of the bullet. Roughly on the hight where on the inside the seated core is ending.

Total process that i follow is :

Clean the brass 45min in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Derim
Annealing the brass till its glowing red. Air cooled down till room temperature.
Cleaning the brass with a wet tumbler and stainless steel media.
Seat the cores with good pressure.
And in one step i swage the point on the bullet.

What is the thing that i'm doing wrong that give me so many "bad looking" bullets ?

supe47
11-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Wrinkles or folds?

Hickory
11-03-2013, 04:52 PM
If you have wrinkles on the bearing surface or shank the jacket was annealed way too much.
If there are vertical folds on the nose you are using too much lube, just use it on the base end.

ronaldod
11-03-2013, 05:17 PM
If you have wrinkles on the bearing surface or shank the jacket was annealed way too much.
If there are vertical folds on the nose you are using too much lube, just use it on the base end.
if the bullet is standing i have the vertical folds. evenly spread around the nose.

Hickory
11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
You are using to much lube, just confine it to the lower third/half of the bullet.

ronaldod
11-03-2013, 05:41 PM
You are using to much lube, just confine it to the lower third/half of the bullet.
Roger on the next batch i will follow that instruction.
Tanx for the quick advices.

Hickory
11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Also, when I make my bullets, I wipe off any lube that gets on the front half of the bullet.

ronaldod
11-03-2013, 06:07 PM
I remember i used more lube today because the room was colder and the feeling of lube on mine fingers was less. Thanks again.

steady1
11-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Also, when I make my bullets, I wipe off any lube that gets on the front half of the bullet.

+1
I have a rag handy to wipe it clean on the tip end, fixes the problem.

Folded tips I understand is not enough annealing.

BT Sniper
11-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Sounds like you guys got it all figured out.

Check out this thread for some simple pics of common flaws and cures.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206928-Cure-for-common-bullet-formtaion-flaws!&highlight=

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

Zymurgy50
11-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Shoot one group with the wrinkled bullets, and shoot another with "good" bullets. I am willing to bet you won't see much of a difference.

ronaldod
11-04-2013, 02:23 AM
That post of yours needs a sticky.

All the flaws explained in great detail.

Sounds like you guys got it all figured out.

Check out this thread for some simple pics of common flaws and cures.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206928-Cure-for-common-bullet-formtaion-flaws!&highlight=

BT

BT Sniper
11-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Glad it helped

BT