PDA

View Full Version : Mobile casting booth

jawjaboy
11-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Vacation again this week. Project #1(besides a list of chores) is to build a mobile casting booth. Something I can use in the shop, and roll outside on beautimous days. Already have the exhaust fan(cooling fan from a big VFD cabinet), framing wood and hardware. **I jes need a lot of good ideas thrown at me right now**. Pics would be helpful.

And if'n ye ain't got nothing t'do this week, any help would be appreciated. Come on down! I'll supply the beer. :wink:

pumpguy
11-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Only suggestion I can think of is to make it adjustable for level. Hate to think of liquid lead spilling out if it's on a slant.

MN91311
11-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I use a heavyweight metal mechanics cart on wheels. I keep the turkey fryer / dutch oven on the top shelf and the propane tank on the bottom . All the accessories fit somewhere on this cart. Plenty of room on the top shelf for ingot molds.

I keep it in my garage, where I can use it with clean alloy. I open the garage door and wheel it outside to process raw wheelweights, etc.

For a wind shield, I just use cardboard temporarily clamped in place on three sides of the pot. Keeps the air movement from cooling the pot.

When not in use, it is kept inside, and being on wheels, lets me move it out of the way as necessary for other projects.

Works great.

scrat
11-17-2007, 12:05 AM
hahahah

i already cast outside on the back porch patio. I sue a lee bottom pour. So i just pull the extension cord out. i have a small table i made that i put a piece of sheet metal on. place a small 3/8 piece of plywood on the sheetmetal. Then put the pot on top of it. this helps to disipate the heat. then start casting. The sheetmetal table works great for loading too. I have 3 sets of holes drilled in it. Depending on what press or sizer i am going to be using. Pretty cool as i can do all my bullet work outside.

Take advantage of Southern California weather