PDA

View Full Version : An experiment

Jim
11-10-2007, 09:19 AM
My walnut shell media finally gave it up recently. I got to thinking and decided to try something different. I bought a 10 lb. bag of rice and it works. Upside, cheap media, works good. Downside, it sticks in the flash holes. Might have to leave the primers in.
I haven't tried it yet on bottlenecks, only pistol cases. Next experiment will be grits.

Single Shot
11-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Interesting.

Now it opens the question, which is better, brown or white rice? Long grain or short?

I wonder if cracked corn would work?

Cayoot
11-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Interesting.

Now it opens the question, which is better, brown or white rice?

Is that a racial remark???:roll:

Morgan Astorbilt
11-10-2007, 11:20 AM
My walnut shell media finally gave it up recently. I got to thinking and decided to try something different. I bought a 10 lb. bag of rice and it works. Upside, cheap media, works good. Downside, it sticks in the flash holes. Might have to leave the primers in.
I haven't tried it yet on bottlenecks, only pistol cases. Next experiment will be grits.

You can use corn grits for cartridges, and hominy grits for brass shotgun shells.

MMM, My mouth's waterin' thinkin' about all that good food goin' to waste!:-D
Morgan

hiram
11-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Beans

Baron von Trollwhack
11-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Just wait till the rice you have packed in your nicely polished 223 cases experiences an uptake of humidity whilst sitting in the garage awaiting our attention. There are better things to do than........BvT

pumpguy
11-10-2007, 01:08 PM
You can use corn grits for cartridges, and hominy grits for brass shotgun shells.

MMM, My mouth's waterin' thinkin' about all that good food goin' to waste!:-D
Morgan

You mean you guys eat that stuff?????????[smilie=1:

Jim
11-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Baron,
I know better than to tumble .223s in rice. That's one of the reasons I'm gonna investigate using grits.

Larry Gibson
11-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I've been using rice for quite a few years and it works fine by itself. I use Midways brass polish with it and it works even better, nice and really shiney brass. Use long stem rice and it mostly stays out of the primer pockets. I clean/polish the brass prior to sizing or depriming. If you get the rice compacted in the cases then run them for 10 minutes or so (can be annoyingly loud) in the vibrator without media. That will shake the rice out.

Larry Gibson

mooman76
11-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Just a couple questions. How long do you cook the rice before you use it, and do you eat it when you are done using it?

Jim
11-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Mooman,
I'd like to see you in my office when you finish your shift. We need to talk.

Mayor
11-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey...........

How would one dispose of this stuff in say, California after it looses it's polishing qualities? :-DThis is an open invitation[smilie=1:

spurrit
12-06-2007, 02:59 AM
I'd try milo grits. You can get a 50 pound sack for under $10 at the feed store. If your local co-op is a feed mill, they'd happily give you a coffee can full of the milo and cracked corn. I'd not use the corn in anything smaller than a .45, though. It'd be a bitch to get out of .30 calibers or smaller. I can also see a full kernel (there WILL be full kernels in a sack of cracked corn) getting stuck in a .38, .357, 9mm, .357 Sig, or .40 cal. case.

Lloyd Smale
12-06-2007, 07:36 AM
do you add a little bacon grease to the grits!!

spurrit
12-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Only if I thought it would catch them on fire. Grits are nasty.

GSM
12-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Only if I thought it would catch them on fire. Grits are nasty.

Uh-oh. I think I see a dead horse kicking.

montana_charlie
12-06-2007, 01:45 PM
How would one dispose of this stuff in say, California after it looses it's polishing qualities?
Feed it to the Condors...
CM

threett1
12-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Good one Charlie.:mrgreen:

spurrit
12-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Uh-oh. I think I see a dead horse kicking.

You mean, you see a dead horse being kicked?

Rick N Bama
12-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Guys, guys now listen up. Grits & Rice are for eating, with or without Bacon Grease. Corn Cob & Walnut Media is for cleaning your brass........'nuff said[smilie=1:

I bought 30# of each several years ago & I'll have tumbling media for years to come.

Rick

mike in co
12-06-2007, 09:11 PM
grainger sells fine corn cob for sand blast media. i paid 30 bucks for 50 lb bag...think two guys would have close to a life time supply.
mike

Tom-n8ies
12-13-2007, 12:55 AM
You can get walnut media reasonable at Wal Mart in the pet department, it is called lizzard litter.

tom

oksmle
12-13-2007, 01:17 AM
About ten years ago I bought a 10# bag of white, long grain , unbleached rice & tried it in my tumbler. Got everything nice & clean & I spent a frustratingly long time picking out the primer pockets & clearing log jams in bottle necked cases. Put a couple cupsful in Mrs. oksmle's blender, set it on "Puree," punched the switch & held onto the top. What came out was a whole bunch of rice grains (along with a bunch of rice dust) that had been chopped into pieces that were about one third their original length. Dropped the mess back into the tumbler (minus the dust) & never looked back. I have probably two pounds left of the original bag. Fellow reloaders who have tried it like it as well.
That's been ten years ago & Mrs. oksmle still doesn't know....
oksmle