PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here used a CZ 527 ?

Jack Stanley
11-03-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm comtemplating the purchase of a CZ 527 and I'm leaning toward the LUX version because it does have sights on it . I think both the LUX and the "American M1" come with rings so the LUX can be scoped . If you have a LUX scoped is the drop in the stock to much for alignment with the scope ? The "American" looked more normal to me and I'm sure it would work real well . I like the LUX for the iron sights on it and since I'm intending to shoot cast at short ranges , that one seems the better way to go .

The .223 has a one in twelve inch twist and the barrel is a bit longer so the sight radius will help my old eyes use it untill I have to scope it . I checked the CZ websight and they still make them in left hand versions .

Any input you have is appreciated thanks , Jack

Opps ! sorry fellas , I thought I was in the factory forum , can someone move this for me?

koehlerrk
11-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Well Jack, I can state that I have owned a CZ527 in 204 Ruger for four years now, and it is sudden death on anything I point it at. Mine is the walnut stocked varmint model with the heavy 26 inch barrel, they only do that for the 204 if I remember right, but I have no issue getting lined up on the scope.

On scopes, the biggest issue I had was that the bolt handle has a bit of extra meat on it that will interfere with most AO scopes. You can be fussy on scope selection, or do what I did and had a machinist buddy mill the offending 1/16" off the bolt handle so it cleared my scope. That, and be aware that the 527 uses a 13mm dovetail, so you won't get good contact with standard rings, make sure you get rings with the rifle.

Other than that, learn it, love it, and shoot it, CZ makes fine rifles. Being a pint-size Mauser action, all rounds have to be fed from the mag, it's a full-on controlled round feed, so if you just drop one in and close the bolt, you have to force the extractor over the groove which is not recommended. It does a fully adjustable single-set trigger, and if you decide to adjust it, go step by step from the book, otherwise you will have a trigger that feels horrible and shoots worse. You probably won't hurt it, in fact, that's how I got mine, the previous owner tried adjusting the trigger and screwed it all up, and it was horrible to use. I followed the book on how to adjust it and it is one of the sweetest triggers I own.

I think that about covers it...

Dan Cash
11-04-2013, 08:19 PM
I have a regular 527 American sporter weight .223. It is the most accurate rifle out of the box that I have ever owned. You must limit yourself to 55 grain or lighter bullets as the twist will not stabilize heavier bullets. Fantastic rifle.

Jack Stanley
11-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys , I've been doimg some reading on the internet and scopes with the fixed sights on the LUX can sometimes be a problem . I do like the looks of the American so I may go that direction instead . This one is likely going to be a cast bullet shooter and the mold I have is the Lyman 225462 . Normal weights for it is about fifty eight grains , I hope it will work alright with the one in twelve twist .

Jack

koehlerrk
11-04-2013, 10:02 PM
well, the folks at Lija know a thing or two about barrel twist, and they were kind enough to put together a nice table. Scroll down the page and you'll see that in a 224 diameter 1:12 twist they recommend no heavier than a 60gr bullet, but then, this is for J-words also, cast boolits are a little different. My 22 Hornet has a 1:16 twist, won't stabilize over a 45gr J-word, but punches bug-holes with my cast Lee Bators which with gas check weigh in at 52 grains.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/caliber_twist_rates.htm

Jack Stanley
11-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Your Hornet is living proof that I should be able to get away with using that particular cast bullet . Bug holes would be nice but I'll settle with tight reliable groups .

Jack

Denver
11-04-2013, 10:48 PM
I've had my dealer trying to locate an American M1 for the last several weeks, but no luck yet. I like that they changed the magazine to a more streamline design. I would rather have one in 222 Rem, but they only offer it in the LUX version. Can't take that European stock design.

destrux
11-05-2013, 12:17 AM
My brother has the 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 and it's very accurate, even with cheap ammo. The Carbine model has iron sights and the American stock. They also offer it in .223.

DeanWinchester
11-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Mine is a varmint model. Single set trigger, laminate stock and a 1/9 twist barrel. I wouldn't take double my money back on it.
I've never fed it any load it wouldn't shoot straight. It's just an awesome rifle.

Jack Stanley
11-05-2013, 10:17 AM
I do hope they are not part of the "hard to get" type of rifles right now . I'd want a left handed version regardless of style , I like the American but I'd take the LUX I suppose . It's so good to hear that so many different people have had good results with them accuracy wise .

Jack