PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my Redhawk to shoot!

Deep Six
11-03-2013, 09:03 AM
I've been working on finding a cast bullet load for my .44 7.5" Blue Redhawk that delivers the kind of accuracy I know the gun is capable of. This past spring I finally got a 250 Keith mold (the Accurate version), and as I expected, that bullet showed early promise at the 20 yard range compared to other designs. I tried several powders - Unique, Blue Dot, HS-6, AA #7, 2400 (I have a 4 lb keg of the old Hercules variety), and H110. 2400 and H110 delivered the best groups, but I decided I liked the way 2400 felt better. H110 just seemed too over the top.

At that point I started trying different charge weights and primers, finally settling on 18.5 gr with a CCI 350 primer. I know this is quite a bit less than the current max book charge per Alliant, but my old can of the Hercules stuff starts showing pressure signs at 19.5 gr with the mag primer. 18.5 showed just a little bit better accuracy than other charge weights, so that's what I settled on.

At this point it all it could do at 50 yards was about 12", and I was getting some (not terrible) leading, so I knew I still had some work to do. I switched lubes from paraffin+vasoline to a concoction I made with moly grease and paraffin. This helped only a little with accuracy (now it was maybe 10" at 50 yards). It still leaded, but the lead was easier to remove (must have been the moly...?)

Next I figured it must be a boolit fit issue. The gun has .432 chambers and .4305 bore. My mold casts at .432-.433 so I figured I would run some unsized. This made no difference, which had me scratching my head until I realized that I was still using the Lee FCD to crimp. Next I made a batch using unsized boolits and crimped with the RCBS seater die. At this point I started to get some better results - it would put maybe 6 out of 10 in a 5" circle at 50 yards and then the other 4 would be flyers.

I still wasn't satisfied as I was still getting a little leading and the flyers. This lead me on a search for better lube. I finally made a batch of Ben's Red a couple weeks ago and loaded some up. I shot them yesterday. Wow it's incredible the difference a lube can make! This time the Redhawk put 9 out of 10 in a 3" circle. The other shot was way high and to the left - I must have pulled it (easy to do with irons at 50 yards). Now I've finally got a load that I can feel confident deer hunting with and that will allow to me bust milk jugs at 100 yards consistently.

To summarize, the final load is an Accurate 43-250K, as-cast at .432-.433, lubed with Ben's Red, over 18.5 Gr Hercules 2400 with a CCI 350 primer, crimped with an RCBS seater die. Also, the same bullet was showing tremendous promise over 15 gr of 2400 in .44 special cases out of my 4-5/8" flattop Blackhawk. It turned in a golf ball sized group for 10 shots at 20 yards.

johnnyshooter
11-03-2013, 10:55 AM
I've been working on finding a cast bullet load for my .44 7.5" Blue Redhawk that delivers the kind of accuracy I know the gun is capable of. This past spring I finally got a 250 Keith mold (the Accurate version), and as I expected, that bullet showed early promise at the 20 yard range compared to other designs. I tried several powders - Unique, Blue Dot, HS-6, AA #7, 2400 (I have a 4 lb keg of the old Hercules variety), and H110. 2400 and H110 delivered the best groups, but I decided I liked the way 2400 felt better. H110 just seemed too over the top.

At that point I started trying different charge weights and primers, finally settling on 18.5 gr with a CCI 350 primer. I know this is quite a bit less than the current max book charge per Alliant, but my old can of the Hercules stuff starts showing pressure signs at 19.5 gr with the mag primer. 18.5 showed just a little bit better accuracy than other charge weights, so that's what I settled on.

At this point it all it could do at 50 yards was about 12", and I was getting some (not terrible) leading, so I knew I still had some work to do. I switched lubes from paraffin+vasoline to a concoction I made with moly grease and paraffin. This helped only a little with accuracy (now it was maybe 10" at 50 yards). It still leaded, but the lead was easier to remove (must have been the moly...?)

Next I figured it must be a boolit fit issue. The gun has .432 chambers and .4305 bore. My mold casts at .432-.433 so I figured I would run some unsized. This made no difference, which had me scratching my head until I realized that I was still using the Lee FCD to crimp. Next I made a batch using unsized boolits and crimped with the RCBS seater die. At this point I started to get some better results - it would put maybe 6 out of 10 in a 5" circle at 50 yards and then the other 4 would be flyers.

I still wasn't satisfied as I was still getting a little leading and the flyers. This lead me on a search for better lube. I finally made a batch of Ben's Red a couple weeks ago and loaded some up. I shot them yesterday. Wow it's incredible the difference a lube can make! This time the Redhawk put 9 out of 10 in a 3" circle. The other shot was way high and to the left - I must have pulled it (easy to do with irons at 50 yards). Now I've finally got a load that I can feel confident deer hunting with and that will allow to me bust milk jugs at 100 yards consistently.

To summarize, the final load is an Accurate 43-250K, as-cast at .432-.433, lubed with Ben's Red, over 18.5 Gr Hercules 2400 with a CCI 350 primer, crimped with an RCBS seater die. Also, the same bullet was showing tremendous promise over 15 gr of 2400 in .44 special cases out of my 4-5/8" flattop Blackhawk. It turned in a golf ball sized group for 10 shots at 20 yards.

That's a great write up. Glad to hear you figured it out. I have been wanting to get that same mold. I do have one question. Where did you get your 10 shot Redhawk.

Deep Six
11-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Haha. I was loading 5 and 5. 10 just seemed like a good number to test with.

MtGun44
11-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Good news that you broke the code. Lube quality can be a major issue and
so many will just mix up any old crud and use it. I try to recommend starting
with a known good lube and then - after establishing a good load, try out the
homebrew lubes. At that point you can see if the lube has no effect, makes
things better or worse. And another example of the benefits of the infamous
Lee factory crimp die.

Bill

500MAG
11-03-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm sure your gonna love that Redhawk. My mom gave me one for my 18th birthday many moons ago and I refer to it as my little brother. Love it to death.

Deep Six
11-03-2013, 10:34 PM
And another example of the benefits of the infamous
Lee factory crimp die.

I'm generally a fan of the Lee FCD, but when you need bullets 3 thousands over standard for the caliber, it is doesn't work so great. For jacketed and cast where standard diameter is fine, the FCD delivers easy perfect crimps every time and is especially nice on a progressive press where it can be beneficial to separate the seating and crimping operations. I'm contemplating buying a 2nd RCBS seater/crimp die since I have an extra hole in my Hornday L-N-L press. I never liked having to dial in the seating depth and crimp at the same time on the same die.

Three44s
11-06-2013, 12:44 AM
I have good luck with Lee FCD's but for those with dimensions that are not conducive ...... then the Redding Profile Crimp die is the bomb!

I like 2400 lit with magnum primers but only to about 18 gr. behind the RCBS 250K boolit.

Above that ......... I switch to standard primers ........ and run that powder/bullet to around 20.6 gr. in a Smith and could use more powder in a Ruger DA but don't because these will chamber in my Smith MG and don't like that experience.

My real go to powder for day in and day out is HS-6 ........ same boolit and the Federal 155 primer, a good crimp and 10-12 gr. of powder according to the Hodgdon's #26 manual (my load is 11.8gr.) and you have a very good medium field load.

For my guns, leading stopped not so much with lubes but with barrel conditioning.

In my case, the use of JB or USP bore paste along with my cleaning regiment did the trick.

When they "quit leading" ......... I dropped the abrassive paste.

The leading never came back.

One caveat is that I religiously use CorrosionX as my last cleaner on each trip and run dry patches to dry that agent up.

The stuff smells about as poorly as moose dung .......... but it WORKS!

Best regards

Three 44s