PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 Safety

Denver
11-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Somewhere I saw a replacement for the lawyer safety that is on the bolt of the Rossi 92 rifles, but can't recall where. Anyone here have information as to who makes/sells them?

Thanks, D

Pb2au
11-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Do a google search for Steve's guns. He is a Rossi 92 guru and sells a blank out for it.

Denver
11-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

joec
11-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

They take about a minute to change with a 1/16" punch. Save the parts if you ever want to sell it but be careful not to loose the spring or ball bearing in the safety. Here it is a Gunz http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4

Denver
11-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Any tips on replacing the safety lever with the spring & ball? Looks to be a PITA trying to keep the ball in place while putting it all back together.

KCSO
11-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Yes tap the pin out from the right direction and it goes fine. The pin is knurled on one end.

pietro
11-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Any tips on replacing the safety lever with the spring & ball?
Looks to be a PITA trying to keep the ball in place while putting it all back together.

The replacement plug is installed w/o the spring & ball detent - it's just pinned in place using the issue pin. Open the bolt to expose the pin (in the locking lug recess), w/o need to disassemble the bolt/etc.

I dug out the painted "S" & "F" from the bolt stamping of mine with some laq thinner & the tip of an awl. (the paint can always be replaced if the safety's re-installed)

If/when the safety's to be replaced, the spring/ball is held in it's recess with the tip of a small jewelers screwdriver while the safety body's slipped into the bolt prior to pinning it in place - a piece of cake.

FWIW, I made my own safety replacement plug in less than 30mins, from a scrounge box Remington crossbolt safety button, an electric hand drill & a file.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0331.jpg

knifemaker
11-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I removed the safety and replaced it with Steve's peep sight and it made a world of difference for these older eyes. I also replaced the front sight with one from Steve that has the red fiber optic insert and could not find a better combination for a wood's rifle. If you have problems trying to focus iron sights, you might want to look into this combination of front and rear sights.

Denver
11-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks all for your help. I fiddled around long enough and was finally able to put the safety back in my 357. I think I'll try to make a plug for my 45C.