PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Suitable Kit To Complete An AR?

alamogunr
11-02-2013, 08:08 PM
I have two of the stripped lowers that I obtained in the GB here a few years ago but have never done anything with beyond acquiring 2 LPK's. Is this a suitable kit to complete at least one of them?

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001470&dir=

I'm not really into the AR platform but my sons may want one and I may want to do a second for 308W or 300 Blackout.

Combat Diver
11-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Nothing hard or complicted building a AR if you want. Just remember that the .308W uses the AR10/SR-25 frame which is bigger then the AR-15 (.223/.300 BKO) and uppers are not compatible.

CD

alamogunr
11-02-2013, 08:42 PM
When you frame, are you referring to the "lower"? If so, that eliminates the .308 from consideration. I'm not enough interested in a .308W to acquire another lower.

Combat Diver
11-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Correct in meaning frame/lower. I do believe the LPK will work with both however.

CD

alamogunr
11-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the information. The question posed in my OP is still open. Would there be any disadvantage to using the referenced kit to complete at least one AR?

Or, is there a better solution for not much more $$??

possom813
11-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Yes, that kit is designed to turn a stripped .223/5.56/multi lower into a complete 5.56 rifle.

There isn't really a disadvantage to it, it's just a basic rifle with no real bells and whistles.

wch
11-02-2013, 09:34 PM
You might be able to save a few bucks; do a Google search for "AR parts" and you'll see a lot of pieces and kits to price.

MtGun44
11-02-2013, 11:15 PM
That would be an easy way to get it all. Upper is all built, too. All you need is a stripped
lower receiver and some time. No special tools other than stock spanner wrench and a
punch and hammer will work although it will slightly mar the notch in the stock nut.
STRONGLY recommend you squeeze in the bolt lock roll pin with vise grips and protect
the "lump" with cardboard rather than trying to drive that roll pin in with hammer and
punch. The previous sentence will not mean anything much until you are starting to
put it together. THEN re-read and do it.

Note that it has NO front sight and NO rear sight, so you will only have optics. Use
HIGH rings. For some really odd reason it has no trigger guard, either. I'm sure you
can find one - is should be only a couple bucks, but it is weird since a LPK always comes
with one.

Bill

Jupiter7
11-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Ati isn't of known quality in the AR world. I'll add a link for the best bang for your buck below. Palmetto State Armory barrels are made by FN and cold hammer forged. The bolt carrier group and barrel are the 2 things not to cheap out on.

Www.palmettostatearmory.com

If you'll sign up for their e-mail list, they have daily deals that are great. Fwiw, my 3 gun rifle is built around a PSA bolt carrier group and barrel.

elginrunner
11-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Dont' know if I'd go with ATI. I have had very good luck with Del-ton, and model 1 sales....

alamogunr
11-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks, everyone. That is the kind of info I was looking for. I'll keep looking. I went to Palmetto State Armory. A lot of stuff but most "out of stock". I don't want to buy something that is in stock because nobody wanted it. I have looked at Model 1 in the past. I will have to look again.

I will keep looking.

MtGun44
11-03-2013, 08:53 PM
I have also had good results with Del-ton barrels and other parts.

Bill

Bored1
11-24-2013, 10:31 PM
If you are still looking heres a decent starter ar kit (from my limited experience) reviews are pretty good, and it comes with a bonus .22lr conversion to plink with.

alamogunr
11-24-2013, 10:40 PM
If you are still looking heres a decent starter ar kit (from my limited experience) reviews are pretty good, and it comes with a bonus .22lr conversion to plink with.

???
Did you mean to include a link?

Finster101
11-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Try Stag as well. They seem to have parts kits coming back in to stock.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-25-2013, 03:46 PM
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-16-1-9-a2-upper-w-yhm-diamond-rifle-rail-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

This is a good starter rifle. Add a lower parts kit and buttstock kit to that and you're good to go. You don't need M4 ramps on a semi auto rifle, it'll feed find without. It's only going full auto you need those. Other than not having those, this is a real nice kit.

BTW, don't get to sweating "out of stock" vs. in stock that nobody wants. Some outfits have low inventories of stuff and go in and out of stock pretty quickly. But the stuff they have in stock is perfectly good stuff. I've built quite a few AR's over the years and 99% of the US manufactured parts are fine. It's only under extreme hard use that you need military grade or better. For what you've described you're building, this kit would be perfect.

Hope this helps,

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-25-2013, 03:47 PM
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-16-1-9-a2-upper-w-yhm-diamond-rifle-rail-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

This is a good starter rifle. Add a lower parts kit and buttstock kit to that and you're good to go. You don't need M4 ramps on a semi auto rifle, it'll feed find without. It's only going full auto you need those. Other than not having those, this is a real nice kit.

BTW, don't get to sweating "out of stock" vs. in stock that nobody wants. Some outfits have low inventories of stuff and go in and out of stock pretty quickly. But the stuff they have in stock is perfectly good stuff. I've built quite a few AR's over the years and 99% of the US manufactured parts are fine. It's only under extreme hard use that you need military grade or better. For what you've described you're building, this kit would be perfect.

Hope this helps,

fcvan
11-26-2013, 02:25 AM
I bought a stripped lower last year (and several more this year) and finished my first two rifles this year. I bought plain jane A3 5.56 kits from Model 1 Sales ($485) and have some nice shooting rifles. You can buy an A2 upper which will have the carry handle rear sight but both come with the standard front sight. Since I bought the A3, I mounted a Ruger rear flip up and an open reflex red/green reticle sight. The two sights in concert make for a really quick sighting weapon as the red/green dot/circle/cross/ or dot-cross sight really makes the front post stand out.

I currently have a 300 blk kit on order ($550) and look forward to putting that together. My brother bought the punches, tools, and an assembly DVD from Brownells which was very helpful. Oh ya, the uppers come assembled and headspaced, all you have to to is install the fire control group, the buffer tube, stock, and takedown pins. I should have built an AR platform rifle years ago as I am really enjoying shooting cast/PCd boolits in 5.56 and just know the 300 blk with cast/PCd boolits will shoot just as well if not better.

alamogunr
11-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Hope this helps,

OK! I just ordered the upper linked above. I forgot about a butt stock but I figured I can get that later. I would try to add one to the order for the upper but since the web site doesn't list any way to contact them, I decided not to mess things up by trying to cancel and reorder.

Any other advice on assembly will be welcome.

The main reason I've been so slow about following up on building these lowers is I'm not sure I am that much of a fan of AR's. I much prefer milsurps. But if this one proceeds OK, I will put the other lower together, maybe in a different configuration and have one each for my sons. They are both in their 40's and may not want them. In that case I can sell them.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-26-2013, 07:02 PM
IF they are gun guys, they will want them.

alamogunr
12-14-2013, 01:55 PM
OK! I received the upper from Palmetto Armory. I have to assume it is good since I have absolutely no experience with AR's.

As I said in an earlier post, I forgot about the butt stock. I have been looking at various vendors and have gotten very confused by the multitude of stocks. I'm going to impose on your collective patience once more for a recommendation of butt stock and open sights. This upper has neither(which I knew about before ordering).

I found one butt stock in the Brownell's catalog. Both a commercial and Mil-Spec version is available. I would assume the commercial verison is what I need to match my lower but I'm not sure. This is the link to the online catalog page for the commercial version.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/rifle-stocks/ar-15-m16-m4-collapsible-buttstock-prod26652.aspx

Again, I'm reopening this thread so I can impose on you good folks again for a recommendation on the buttstock and sights.

Combat Diver
12-14-2013, 06:01 PM
First decide if you want a fixed or adjustable stock. There are tons out there. On the one you posted your lower will take either. The difference is the buffer tube outside diameter. The military is the oldest standard and 1.14" outside dia. The commercial is thicker diameter and stronger, 1.17". More stock options available in the military dia however. Either will work for you esp. if you just order the kit (just be aware if you plan on ever changing stock which one you have)

You will also need one of these wrenches to tighten the castle nut. Usually a buck or two. Other end is for a 1911 bushing.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Black-AR-Stock-Wrench-Tool-Buffer-Tube-Nut-Tool-Castle-Nut-1911-Bushing-Tool-/00/s/NTQzWDUxNw==/z/D9sAAOxyDoZSIMoY/$(KGrHqF,!ncFIdLmHFshBSIMoYB!Ig~~60_35.JPG
or
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/ar-15-m4-stock-wrench-prod16882.aspx

CD

alamogunr
12-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks Diver. I will probably order the Brownell's wrench along with the buttstock. Even if the one you pictured is cheaper I would still have to pay shipping.

I still need to pick out front and rear sights. I think basic is going to be better than fancy. From the looks of the Palmetto upper, there should be lots of options.

I'm not going to order anything until after the holidays. Too much going on.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-15-2013, 07:20 AM
John,

Save your money and get your buttstock kit from Palmetto Armory as well if you're going for a basic stock. They make a reasonably decent kit that includes the buttstock, tube, spring and buffer for a very reasonable price and about half of the price of that Brownell's kit for a kit as good or better.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar15-days-of-christmas/psa-classic-m4-stock-kit-black.html

Here's their blackhawk kit, very affordable and comes and goes in and out of stock due to popularity:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/ar-15-parts-sale/blackhawk-ar-15-stock-kit.html

Brownell's sells good stuff, but not better than anybody else's and they charge a good bit more for it.

As far as sights go, I'd buy some back up iron sights (BUIS) from Magpul, their plastic ones, since you're mounting on a free float rail. They work fine, are well made and some of the most affordable out there unless you buy the made in china junk (I personally refuse to.).

Front sight:

http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-MBUS-Folding-Front-Site/dp/B007OWZB0Q/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Rear sight, shows a tan one, but is listed as black:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RR0N8Q/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

alamogunr
12-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Well! I just ordered the buttstock kit from Palmetto and the sights from Amazon. I won't start assy until after the first of the year but at least the parts will be on hand.

Thanks to everyone, especially Dave for the recommendations. I was flying blind trying to choose good parts and save money at the same time. I'll resurrect this thread when I have something to report. I may even learn how to post a picture.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Merry Christmas John

alamogunr
12-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Merry Christmas to you too! And Merry Christmas to all on this board, the best on the net.

alamogunr
01-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Time to resurrect this thread again! In my post of about 2 wks ago, I said I ordered the buttstock from Palmetto. I have a confirmation showing the order placed on 12/17. I still have not received it. I checked their website and it shows "Processing". Their site shows no way to contact them so all I can do is sit and wait. My credit card statement shows they charged it on 12/18.

It appears that all I can do is wait through another billing cycle and then contest the charge to get their attention. Any thoughts?

BTW, I've completed the lower except for the buttstock.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-04-2014, 03:06 AM
Processing can mean anything, but if they haven't shipped, it hasn't come in yet, so they can't ship. They're pretty good about shipping out things in stock. Give them a call. If it's not in stock, they may have a similar product you can switch your order to.

garym1a2
01-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Customer Service: compliments-concerns-complaints

Time to resurrect this thread again! In my post of about 2 wks ago, I said I ordered the buttstock from Palmetto. I have a confirmation showing the order placed on 12/17. I still have not received it. I checked their website and it shows "Processing". Their site shows no way to contact them so all I can do is sit and wait. My credit card statement shows they charged it on 12/18.

It appears that all I can do is wait through another billing cycle and then contest the charge to get their attention. Any thoughts?

BTW, I've completed the lower except for the buttstock.

alamogunr
01-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, Dave. And Gary, thanks for the phone #. I couldn't find anything on the website. No phone # or email addy. I guess they save a lot of money by not having to hire people to man the phones or answer emails.

I'll try to call Monday. My main concern was that my order had gotten lost in Christmas shipping and was laying somewhere behind a bench or machine.

garym1a2
01-04-2014, 02:45 PM
It was listed in their store section. Hope the numbers good. My brother has brought from them before and they seem like a decent company.

Thanks for the reassurance, Dave. And Gary, thanks for the phone #. I couldn't find anything on the website. No phone # or email addy. I guess they save a lot of money by not having to hire people to man the phones or answer emails.

I'll try to call Monday. My main concern was that my order had gotten lost in Christmas shipping and was laying somewhere behind a bench or machine.

Jupiter7
01-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Don't fret. PSA will ship assuming all is well with your order. They are pretty swamped from all the deals they had during Christmas season. I've ordered stuff from them for about 4yrs and it has always made it.

alamogunr
01-07-2014, 05:15 PM
I just got a UPS ship notification concerning my order. Rather than call, I had emailed them on Monday. They didn't respond to the email, but the shipping notification served to reassure me that my order hadn't gotten lost.

I think, sometimes, we (I) tend to picture all companies as very large organizations that have people just waiting to fill orders or answer questions. I guess, to be realistic, most of these companies are small businesses compared to the S&P 500 companies and do the best they can without overextending themselves out of business.

Tazman1602
01-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Hey John,

Been lurking on your thread. Just wanted you to know PSA is a first class place to deal with. I've used several of their uppers to build AR's with and have always been happy with them. have good luck with them.

I saw some references to Stag Arms here also -- FIRST CLASS AR's from them too, I'm a dealer and the only downfall I've found to building a Stag from parts is this; you can save a few bucks by doing it this way (buying the upper and lower separately......) but you only get a one year guarantee on the parts. If you buy the complete Stag rifle, you get a Stag lifetime warranty from them.

Like I said I've built a few AR's from PSA parts (Palmetto) as I like the 1-7 twist in PSA's barrels for certain things, but I like the 1-9 twist and the warranty from Stag for my own personal AR's.

Hey different stroke for different folks, they are both good manufacturers of AR's. I am certain you will enjoy your AR experience, at least I hope you do. I was NEVER an "EBR" (Evil Black Rifle) guy until a few years back, but they are as much fun to work on as they are to shoot in my experience!

Art

alamogunr
01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm looking forward to finishing this one up. I've still got another lower and LPK. I might decide to do it differently and build the upper too, provided I don't lose interest first.

I've got to get some ammo to try it out too. I've got some j@$^*#ed bullets around somewhere and could use those if I can find some acceptable loads. I'm a complete ignoramus about small caliber loads, especially for AR's.