PDA

View Full Version : good evenin from NE ohio

okietwolf
11-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Names David, but no-one uses it cept for mama when she's mad, everyone calles me Okie. Newer to reloading but am enjoying it. Have owned an ArmiSport Quigley in 45/120 for around 8 years now, and have just really begun enjoying it. Seems I was going about it wrong, now paper patching long boolits and working MUCH betterer. Here to scrub as much info as I can. Thanks for having me.

cbrick
11-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Can't help ya with paper patching but I can welcome ya to CastBoolits. You'll find lot's of help here.

Rick

country gent
11-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Welcome Okie, theres aot of good informationto be gleaned here. 45-120 will be interesting What are you planningon loading it with? Smokeless, substitute, or Black Powder? WHich are you wanting to paper patch bore riding or groove riding? You need a chamber cast to get the throat dimensions and to slug your bore to get those dimensions also. Do you have a Mold for Paper Patched bullets If so what dia is it?Finding the correct paper is tricky at times. You want 2 wraps of paper almost meeting. ends can be 30-45 degrees. Width 1/3 of bullet dia and length to ogive. Paper thickness X4 and bullet dia will give you a good idea of finished dia. Are you going to wrap wet or dry?
I recomend getting a copy of Loading and Shooting the Paper Patched Bullets A Beginners Guide By Randolph S. Wright. Its very informative on the Paper Patched bullet and loading it. Paul Mattews has several books also.
Theres not alot of people doing this and little information available other than those of us learning as we go.

runfiverun
11-02-2013, 07:21 PM
I think there is a link to paul Mathews book in the black powder paper patching section.

okietwolf
11-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Chamber cast is in the morning, when I wake the smith up...lol So far the most accurite round I've worked up is a Buffalo Arms PP 550gr over about an 1/16th" grease smear between two milk carton wads over 110 gr of ffg. First tries with the rifle were so bad (425 gr flat nose grease groovers over 120gr ffg) I put the thing up for two years for further education. lmao. first loads were (no kidding) lucky to make 4' groups at 150 yards from a bench. The latest attempts gave a first shot about 9' left, but elevation was ok. After a slight sight fiddle, the next 5 were about a 6 inch group at 50 yards off hand. Patches wet onion skin paper, two wraps slighly overlap with a buffalo arms templet. start with a .451 diameter. will try post pics later

jimb16
11-02-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm from NE Ohio too. What town?

country gent
11-03-2013, 12:06 AM
You dont want ny overlap on the patch edges. If anything a slight gap of .060-.090 between the 2 edges. If your sure on the .451 dia then file the edge of your template to get the needed gap. Cut a 1" strip of paper and put 3 wraps around bullet nick with an razor or exacto knife. Distance between 2 nicks is very close to what you want. You can lay out the angles with you template line one sdge up with tick and cut line other up with tick and cut. This held to the template will show how muvh comes off. Also remeber paper streches when wet. How much depends on how "tight" you wrap.

waco
11-03-2013, 12:40 AM
:lovebooliWelcome to the site........DAVID!!!! Just kiddin Okie.
There is a full forum here for PP boolits, if you don't already know that.
Lots of knowledge and good people here.
Enjoy the addiction!:-)

okietwolf
11-03-2013, 09:45 AM
jimb16 from the Boredom....ooops Boardman (youngstown) area

Iron Mike Golf
11-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Hiya Okie. I am over between Akron and Green