PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Base Swaged Percussion Revolver Bullet

jaxenro
11-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Is anyone familier with these bullets for BP revolvers? These are in 36 but they also came in 44. They are swaged not cast and I only have a few hundred left. They have a hollow base that expands to take the rifling, a round nose, a band around the tip that shaves off, and a base that drops into the cylinder. I think they we made by Albert Co or Taurus (may be the same company)

In use they seem to work like a wadcutter, are very accurate, easy to load, and I would like some more. If no one is making them how difficult do you think it would be to swage them myself if I bought the equipment and what/where would I get it?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj29/Yehya_61/005_zps5e0a622c.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/Yehya_61/media/005_zps5e0a622c.jpg.html)

runfiverun
11-02-2013, 08:50 PM
i'd just have a mold cut and cast them.

jaxenro
11-03-2013, 04:00 PM
So are you saying it can't/shouldn't be swaged? Seems like with the hollow base it would be easier? I would like to check into it anyway of it can be swaged, from pure lead, who would make dies for me? Where could I have that done?

runfiverun
11-03-2013, 05:30 PM
they could be, but that ring on the top would have to be swaged on the bottom.
this presents about 100 other problems to the die maker.
I don't think i'd wanna pay for a one-off swage die, but it could be done.

for about 1/4 the price you could make a lifetime supply

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=12
this guy makes custom molds for a reasonable price, you could probably get both sizes in one mold from him, and have the hollow base pin made by buckshot, for still waay less than a swage die set up.

jaxenro
11-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Thank you for the information

Purely an academic question but if you were going to produce these for sale would you cast or swage?

BT Sniper
11-04-2013, 01:30 PM
It could be as simple as a typical core seat die or core swage die. The swaged lead bullet would be all the same diameter and easy to make so long as you didn't need that rim around the tip that gets "shaved off" anyway.

This would be an easy one step in a simple swage die. You could improve it with a bleed hole then you could adjust the weight to any weight you wanted.

Simple! Anything is possible. Could be had for around/under $300!

BT

jaxenro
11-04-2013, 01:44 PM
But the rim that gets shaved off anyway is a critical design element for use in a percussion revolver. The slightly narrower base dropsin and the rim assures a right fit to prevent chain firing. The rounded nose works with most loading levers and the hollow base expands

Reload3006
11-04-2013, 02:11 PM
RCE sells a lead boolit die for 150ish if your using his press. A single lead bullet die is all that would be needed. It would bleed from the side and cut the sprue off as it is ejected. Bottom and top punch will completely make the boolit in one shot. Not a big deal. Another source for a lead bullet die would be Hawk Dies I am sure he could fix you up. If a reloading press die is what your looking for Its possible but doubtful that it would shave the bleed off sprue from the side but rather out the bottom. Still it would not be such a big deal to clip off the sprue.

Dryball
12-10-2013, 03:11 AM
You really wouldn't need that front band to prevent chain-fires. You have at the least 3 options. Have the dies made to .454 (or whatever they are for other caliber you shoot) and let the cylinder mouth shave off the entire boolit (but that would do away with the "drop ins"). Or you could have the swaged boolit fit so it is seated with minimal effort. In this case you could either buy/make wonderwads for seating between the powder and boolit or seat without the wad and use a popsicle stick (or whatever) and fill the gap between the top of the boolit and end of cylinder with lube. The last two options would probably be better anyway because you want/need lube to keep the fouling soft so it won't build up as bad and to make cleaning easier. I have thought about having BT make me a die to just that for my Walker replica. :Fire: