PDA

View Full Version : Gunlaw in different States

Speedjunke
11-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi everyone

I wanted to ask a queston to those who live over there. A friend and I are going to travel through America next year.
Now I read a lot obout your gun laws and that they are very different depending on the state you are in. Today I read on Wikipedia how the laws are in the states which were going to travel through.

Mostly it is written that you dont need a permission to buy one and/ or can carry it open/ concealed legaly.
How does this apply to a tourist? Is it possible for me to buy a gun and do some target shooting or dont you recommend it?

We both are in the Military over here. He is Ranked as a Soldier an I am a 1st Lt in the Air Force. So we both know how to handle guns and shoot them. We also both have a few guns in our private live and I do a lot of IPSC shooting also.

I am happy for some short answers. Thank you

frkelly74
11-02-2013, 01:19 PM
You are indeed opening a can of worms. Laws can and do vary widely from state to state and sometimes from county to county. The bigger cities by and large do not feel that The Constitution applies to ordinary people and open carry will get you a lot of trouble. Be very cautious. I do not have any idea how you can get through an airport here with any sort of weaponry , right down to nail clippers.

freebullet
11-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Unless you visit a state with "constitutional carry" you will run into a myriad of patchwork laws hard to comply with as a foreigner.

BrassMagnet
11-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Our gun laws are not friendly to foreigners.
As a visitor, you would be committing a felony to buy or possess a firearm and likely to spend years in one of our prisons.
Carrying a firearm openly or concealed would be a crime for you.

You could legally shoot with a member here using the member's firearms and ammo.
Trying to bring your own would be a big issue. Sometimes, even though it appears legal, there may still be legal issues to be aware of. I know an English shooter that brings rifles here to compete with. It is a hassle. He has to make arrangements to pick up ammo once he is here. Handguns are more likely to cause legal problems.
Wikepedia is not a good source for legal info. In some states, you have rights while in other states all is illegal and then you have exemptions from the laws. Firearms laws also change frequently and you may be in violation of a new law.
As someone not familiar with our driving practices, you are more likely to draw law enforcement scrutiny. That can lead to legal problems if you possess firearms or ammunition, whether legally or not.
Trying to buy one would be criminal.

Speedjunke
11-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the fast answers. I see. Its to complicated to buy a gun there. For sure i dont want to bring my service guns (fullauto) with me. But i thoght it would be cheaper to buy one than rentig them at a gun range per hour.

Very helpful guys on this forum. Thankyou

RED333
11-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Speedjunkie, if you come to US, all the above advice is spot on.
If ya swing through TN, let me know, I live just outside of Nashville, have a range
in the backyard. Yall can shoot what I have.

DRNurse1
11-02-2013, 07:40 PM
My $0.02: Google the Rifle and Pistol Associations for the states you intend to visit as well as the Rifle and Pistol clubs in the cities and towns. This should provide firearm friendly resources during your trip.

If you intend to purchase firearms in the US, seek firearm friendly legal advice LONG before the purchase. PM me for a reference in the Pennsylvania and I may be able to locate resources in other states.

Enjoy your adventure in this wonderful county, and don't be afraid to stay a spell.

Dan Cash
11-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Speedjunkie, if you come to US, all the above advice is spot on.
If ya swing through TN, let me know, I live just outside of Nashville, have a range
in the backyard. Yall can shoot what I have.

I will make you the same offer if you come to Western North Dakota. I live next to the Teddy Rosevelt National Park and the North Dakota Badlands. 1200 meters range from my front porch and plenty facilities with me or five miles East at my brother in law's guest ranch. You come, you'll be welcome.

Speedjunke
11-02-2013, 07:54 PM
You guys are amazing! Thanks for your very kind offers. I will take a look which route we are going to ride exactly. I will write a PM to you gentleman!
Mostly we will spend our time (two weeks) in florida and then (ten weeks) in the western part of the states. Would realy appreceate to shoot a few rounds in the land of freedom.

We have a nice gun law over here compared with others in europe but compared with the states.... Another story

Amazing forum and users!

daengmei
11-02-2013, 08:10 PM
You might try using the fact that you are military members. Talk to your Public Affairs Office (your equivalent) and try to arrange something at one of our many installations. Might take some time but I would think it's worth the effort. Let us know where you intend to travel and that will give members a chance to work something out, check laws and such. Quite a few of us are veterans and some active duty. I'm close to Knob Creek, Ky and they do rent firearms to shoot. I will check their information for guest/foreign military rentals.

Combat Diver
11-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Speedjunke

I wish you and your friend a great vaction over here. I've got a good friend in your country that is a fellow shooter and he lives in the Canton of Geneva. Depending on the time of year, you might what to look into a non resident hunting license. It may give you a way to carry in open areas.

CD

357mags
11-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Forget it!

willie_pete
11-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Mostly we will spend our time (two weeks) in florida and then (ten weeks) in the western part of the states. Would realy appreceate to shoot a few rounds in the land of freedom.

!

I live near Daytona Beach in FL. Ex-US Air Force. Same offer; I have a 200 yard range at my house and would be happy to host you for a day. You can shoot what I have; just bring plenty of ammo. :D

WP

Springfield
11-03-2013, 11:58 PM
If you make it to the San Francisco area of California I am sure I could find something for you to shoot! Forget about any kind of open carry in this state, though.

AricTheRed
11-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Speedjunke,

Again what Springfield wrote, if you come near San Francisco we can go out to a private range I am a member at ,and I would be happy to share with you. It does not matter if you want to shoot handgun, shotgun and clay pigeons, long range (400-1200m) rifle, or short range 0-400m rifle, cast boolit or j-word. My friends and I can see that you have a good afternoon "reciting loud poetry"!

ak_milsurp
11-04-2013, 12:43 AM
If you come to Alaska, you'll be in luck. Look me up.... Www.Amga.net. email honcho@Amga.net Alaska machine gun association. Wink wink

Speedjunke
11-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Its amazing. I am happy about your offerings and I hope that we can arrange some of these. Like I sayd we will be traveling in Florida and after that in the western Part (California Utah Nevada Wyoming...)

So i will contact some of you kind guys via PN. Willie Pete and AricTheRed are in range :) and Ammo souldnt be the problem (or cash for you to buy SOME)

Carrying a gun is no longer in my mind. That just would have been nice if it was easy to do. (I dont need to carry one, here in switzerland its not allowed)

Probably Im planning another tour trough the USA just for plinking after so many nice offerings.:-)

Again thank you Gentleman!

willie_pete
11-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Sounds like you might be motorcycling. If so, I can ride with you for a while around Florida if you want some company.

WP

BSalty
11-06-2013, 06:00 PM
I am in Utah. I would be happy to help you while you are here. Even if it is only for advice on which places are worth visiting or have a great view or extra nice road to ride through on a motorcycle.

We have no world known shooting ranges here, but we have some nice ones just the same. I would be happy to let you shoot any of my collection if you wanted to.

justing
11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
You guys are amazing! Thanks for your very kind offers. I will take a look which route we are going to ride exactly. I will write a PM to you gentleman!

We have a nice gun law over here compared with others in europe but compared with the states.... Another story

Amazing forum and users! if your in Orlando hit me up if i am available ill take ya shooting.

another gsxr 1k
11-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Jacksonville Florida here. Same thing, let us know. One thing not answered, is rental pieces. One local range here has about 15-20 different handguns for rent, from .22LR thru .44 magnum. Last time I looked they rented for $15 /day, and have to use their ammo. Which isn't that bad a deal, their range ammo is pretty reasonable, $12-13 for 9mm, to $27 for .44 mag. Their range fees are also reasonable under $15 for the day.

NoZombies
11-11-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm in N. FL, and I'd be happy to take you guys to the range.

olereb
11-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Seeing as you mentioned FL if your down around FT Myers I would be happy to let y'all use some of my guns,i don't have a range at the house but there are indoor ranges for handguns close by and also a outdoor range close by that you can shoot anything at.

Speedjunke
11-12-2013, 03:35 PM
And once again. Thank you all! We will take a look how many times and where we are going to shoot. From so many offerings we could shoot nearly every day somewhere else :) and of course we also want to see something else than different ranges.

But I am realy happy about all the very kind offerings. I will contact some of you via PN before our travel.

Thank you guys!

PS: olereb our route will go through FT Meyers for sure! :Fire:

1Shirt
11-12-2013, 05:17 PM
If you have a smart phone, suggest you get the app "Legal Heat"! It lists the laws for cc in each state, open holster, what states recognize what etc. Invaluable if you are traveling state to state.
1Shirt!