PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt/CCI 350 magnum primers/unique

UNIQUEDOT
11-01-2013, 11:45 PM
I have a brick of cci 350 mag primers that I need to use up and my go to load for the 45 colt is 8.0 unique under a 255 grain cast boolit with wlp. What do any of you guys recommend trying in order to utilize the cci 350's with unique without my loads suffering from leading etc.? any info on pressure would be helpful as well. BTW I'm not out of standard LP's, but I would like to use up these 350's and would like to use them with unique.

winelover
11-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Try them with Unique if your determined. Might want to reduce the load your using. If it were me, I would just use the 350's up with 2400, as was recommended years ago!

Winelover

44man
11-02-2013, 07:31 AM
They will work. The only thing I have found is the primer pressure has a tendency to move boolits before full ignition in certain calibers with some powders.

paul h
11-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I'd save them for use with H-110 or see if you can find someone to trade for std large pistol primers. You may loose some accuracy but there should be no pressure or leading probs as you are closer to a starting load than a max load

UNIQUEDOT
11-02-2013, 05:50 PM
If it were me, I would just use the 350's up with 2400, as was recommended years ago!

Do you have any decent load recommendations with 2400? keeping in mind that the loads are used interchangeably with SAA clones and carbine.

They will work. The only thing I have found is the primer pressure has a tendency to move boolits before full ignition in certain calibers with some powders.

Perhaps the collet crimp or profile crimp would solve this problem?

You may loose some accuracy but there should be no pressure or leading probs as you are closer to a starting load than a max load

I used to load a bunch of the dirty 7.5 unique loads and thought that these might give a cleaner burn with those loads. Maybe I'll just leave the powder charge alone at a cleaner burning 8.0. I used to load a bunch of loads with BP and various substitutes and this is where magnum primers came in handy, but I stopped loading BP loads and just wanna use up these primers.

winelover
11-03-2013, 07:21 AM
I settled on 20 grains of 2400 and a mag primer in both my Redhawk and Marlin 1894. Keep in mind, these are strong guns. BTW, I have gone much higher!! You may want to start a little lower, say 17, and work up.

Winelover

tek4260
11-03-2013, 08:39 AM
...................and you might simply use those primers and not notice a difference from your WLP.

prs
11-03-2013, 09:38 AM
...................and you might simply use those primers and not notice a difference from your WLP.

Exactly my guess. Like always, strive for the best boolit retention possible based upon case to boolit fit and rely upon a light roll crimp to only prevent set-back. If you are concernrd about the SAA/clones, then drop down a disk size on that Pro-Auto charger. Then again, you could always go back t' shoot'n real gun powder. ;-)

prs

dmize
11-03-2013, 09:51 AM

After shooting many many thousand WW Std/Mag LPP, that's exactly what I am thinking.

gray wolf
11-03-2013, 05:05 PM
How do you achieve set back in a revolver ?
Just asking

UNIQUEDOT
11-03-2013, 06:56 PM

That's what I was hoping, but cci say's it's a no no!

prs
11-04-2013, 03:11 PM
How do you achieve set back in a revolver ?
Just asking

Beats the H377 out of me, but this Pard is using a lever action carbine too. The recoil of the stack of rounds in the tube magazine tends to hammer the boolits deeper into the cases, which is why the boolits intended for such have a crimp ring. But that crimp is not so effective in keeping the boolits from migrating forward in a revolver cylinder while other chambers are discharging, it is best to rely upon case to boolit fit for that.

prs

UNIQUEDOT
11-04-2013, 07:24 PM
If anyone is interested this is what the cci tech had to say about using the 350's with unique.

"Don't use these primer in the 45 Colt with Unique powder. If you use a Magnum primer with Unique, you can over ignite the powder causing a high pressure situation and be very dangerous. Your next thought is to reduce the powder charge and add more air in the case and cause higher pressure, not a good idea."

This makes me rethink some things I've done in the past! I wonder if the 350's have changed over time? the thought of flash ignition did occur to me, but I brushed it off quickly as paranoia. I suppose I'll use them with 2400 or BP.