PDA

View Full Version : Needle in a haystack.

firewalkerd1
11-01-2013, 12:21 AM
I have 30-40 lbs of lead ingots that I acquired back in the late 70's. This cane from a local factory that made chain link fence. No longer in business. I think they used the lead in coating of the fence. Does any one know of the content of this type of lead. I have tried to contact older enployees of the factory with no luck. I would like to use the lead for boolits but probably end up using it for spinner baits.

geargnasher
11-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Almost guaranteed to be zinc if used for fence plating baths. If you can't shave a corner of it easily with a pocket knife, or if they fizzle when hit with a drop of hydrochloric acid, knit covers for them and use them as door stops.

Gear

starmac
11-01-2013, 03:17 AM
What would it hurt to make fishing sinkers out of zinc.

Bulldogger
11-01-2013, 08:20 AM

Wouldn't hurt, I've seen plenty of jigs and sinkers made with zinc lately.
BDGR

Tatume
11-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Shadygrady will trade for them. Sounds like nice, clean zinc, just what he is looking for!

firewalkerd1
11-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Bump:

geargnasher
11-01-2013, 10:39 PM
What would it hurt to make fishing sinkers out of zinc. Nothing at all, but the OP mentioned spinner baits, I assumed to mean jigs, which might be a real challenge to get to fill out using plating-quality zinc, assuming that's even what he has.

Wouldn't hurt, I've seen plenty of jigs and sinkers made with zinc lately.
BDGR

Following what I mentioned above, you probably have seen plenty of jigs and sinkers made out of Zamak alloy or stuff similar to what "zinc" wheel weights are cast from, not pure zinc. Ever try to cast with pure zinc? I'm sure it would be excellent for spoon-moulded bait sinkers or decoy weights, but without LOTS of heat and some vibration it doesn't fill moulds out very well.

Gear

randyrat
11-02-2013, 06:26 AM
If they are pure you may get some good money out of them at the scrap yard,if your real lucky you could trade the Zinc for lead from a cannon ball maker

dodgyrog
11-02-2013, 06:57 AM
I would have thought that the lead would be for setting metal posts in stone and therefore likely to be pure - but who knows!

Shiloh
11-02-2013, 08:59 AM

I've seen a lot of them. Also the little bushings that folks use as bearings for spinners.

Shiloh