View Full Version : Anyone Own Shoot Crossman Bolt Action Pump Pistol

TCLouis
10-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Worth it?

Accuracy??

Enough power for yard Squirrels?

Old Coot
11-01-2013, 12:13 AM
I don't know about the new ones, but the old one we had (I think I was 3 or 4 when Dad got it. I'm 67 now>) had an abominable trigger on it. About a 12 to 15 lb pull. It was .177 cal and we used it to kill grouse, when Dad was Moose hunting. It did it quite well, short range with a good rest against a tree, and I shot a couple of squirrels with it. It is was a good solidly built little pistol that rode many miles in saddle bags, and ALWAYS WORKED.
Brodie

Multigunner
11-01-2013, 12:18 AM
In the UK some consider these pistols suitable for hunting rabbits, I don't think they would be a good choice for some of the larger breeds of rabbit.
These are much more powerful than my CO2 powered S&W 78g and it does a good job on large rats at close range, the Crosman .22 copperhead pellets often going straight through the body.

RoyEllis
11-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Worth it?
For the price, not a bad little pistol.

Accuracy??
Out to 50ft I can hit a Necco wafer 100% of the time, shooting offhand.

Enough power for yard Squirrels?
Power is marginal, but will usually be found sufficient with head shots. I recommend Crosman Premier heavy pellets (the 10 grain round nose ones)

I'd say you'll be happier with the performance of a .22 model vs a .177 model but if you go .177, get a tin of those heavy pellets to shoot anything you intend to kill.

GARD72977
11-03-2013, 10:24 PM
My dad got me a well used 22 cal when I was a kid. It sure took down a squirrels better than my .177 pump rifle. It was a great gun to shoot aluminum cans with. The seals finally gave out. I guess my dad still has it. Its not a match gun but you can have a lot of fun with it.

Zymurgy50
11-03-2013, 11:06 PM
I don't have the pump model, but the late 40's model that uses a screw-on co2 tank that was military surplus. The co2 tanks were used to inflate one person rubber rafts that were emergency equipment on aircraft. 22 cal, and i did harvest a few rabbits with it in my younger days.

grizzlyadams
11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
they are ok for squirrel....if you get close.fortunately there are a lot of power mods you can do to them, like a flat top valve and adjustable piston. that will bring the power up. i have used them for bunny bustin in the past and they do work, another on worth a look would be the hatsan supercharger pistol. it is big and heavy but very accurate and puts out more power with one cocking stroke than the crosmans do with ten pumps. i have been using one in .22 caliber for nutters and bunnies and it works great out to the 25 or so yds that i have used it. i liked it so much that i have another coming in .177.