PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for Rossi Mares Leg

Black Lung
10-31-2013, 07:57 PM
A friend of my brother just called me and asked if I had any load data for 45 Colt (actually, he called it long Colt) using W296 in a Rossi Mares Leg. He had some 250gr "cowboy" boolits he was casting out of wheel weight alloy. I told him I believed that would make too high pressure a load for a lever gun, but I don't really know for sure.

What kind of strength do these guns have compared to a Ruger? This guy is a rookie reloader, which is one of the reasons I told him it wouldn't be safe. He told me W296 was the only powder he could find.

Any help would be appreciated!

robertbank
10-31-2013, 08:55 PM
I have used 7.1 gr of 231 under my 160 gr boo'its with good results using a Beretta SAA Stampede and a Ruger Flat Top New Model. This load should work well in the gun. The Rossi uses the same receiver for ther 45 70 guns so I don't think he will have any problems using his Cowboy boolits. Velocity out of my 4.75" SAA Clone was 756 fps. Standatd Deviation 9.

Take Care

Bob

220swiftfn
11-01-2013, 02:01 AM
To further Robertbank's answer, the Rossi Mare's leg uses a replica of the Winchester '92 action, and is strong enough to handle the "Ruger only" load data. Doing so with such a short gun that has a straight "hand stock" with a lever loop on your knuckles might make for an interesting range trip, so proceed accordingly.

Dan

badguybuster
11-01-2013, 10:29 AM
I had one in 44 and found that mid range loads are best. Itll beat yer hands to death if you get too hot

robertbank
11-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Up here we can put a regular stock on them legally and do. They make for a great truck gun or for bush carry. The Mares Legs are classified as rifles in Canada.

Take Care

Bob

snaketail
11-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Use .454 boolits, these are made for .45 Colt (and the long Colt). .452 is for .45 ACP and will not group as will and will lead the barrel if he runs hot W296 loads. I like Unique - 8gr with a 250gr Boolit is very nice.

robertbank
11-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Use .454 boolits, these are made for .45 Colt (and the long Colt). .452 is for .45 ACP and will not group as will and will lead the barrel if he runs hot W296 loads. I like Unique - 8gr with a 250gr Boolit is very nice.

45 Colt revolvers have not been made with 454 bores since WW11. The Rugers and SAA Clones all take .452 lead bullets. The Rossi will use .452 boolits as well.

Take Care

Bob

220swiftfn
11-02-2013, 02:21 AM
Up here we can put a regular stock on them legally and do. They make for a great truck gun or for bush carry. The Mares Legs are classified as rifles in Canada.

Take Care

Bob

What you can do legally is just what I'd be tempted to do, which is why I probably will never own a Mare's Leg in the States......

Dan

robertbank
11-02-2013, 11:48 AM
What you can do legally is just what I'd be tempted to do, which is why I probably will never own a Mare's Leg in the States......

Dan

Dan can't you folks buy some sort of Federal Stamp to make the gun legal with a full butstock?

Take Care

Bob

osteodoc08
11-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Dan can't you folks buy some sort of Federal Stamp to make the gun legal with a full butstock?

Take Care

Bob

Yes. It would be considered a short barreled rifle. The new crop of AR pistols that have a naked buffer tube are still classified as pistols, thus function as a SBR but no stamp needed.

The newest thing is to buy a thread adapter to screw on an oil filter canister to use as a "solvent trap" while cleaning, but in reality, many people use it as a poor mans suppressor. Just dont get caught without your fun stamp partaking in such activities!

robertbank
11-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Yes. It would be considered a short barreled rifle. The new crop of AR pistols that have a naked buffer tube are still classified as pistols, thus function as a SBR but no stamp needed.

The newest thing is to buy a thread adapter to screw on an oil filter canister to use as a "solvent trap" while cleaning, but in reality, many people use it as a poor mans suppressor. Just dont get caught without your fun stamp partaking in such activities!

Yes the AR pistols are classified as such up here as well. I have never seen one imported and they may indeed be prohibited. Because they are classified as pistols the S&W 22LR AR rifle is limited to 10 rds because it is considered a variant of the .223 version. The Mossberg look alike isn't and can be run with 25 or 50 rd mags. Dumb but it is what it is.

I have seen the oil can suppressors and the screw on adapter. You won't be surprised to learn suppressors are considered evil and illegal up here. Again dumb laws since having a suppressed gun has it's place and it isn't always at the end of some Hollywood super sniper rifle designed to kill grandmothers at 10,000 yards.

Take Care

Bob

snaketail
11-03-2013, 01:32 PM
"The Rossi will use .452 boolits as well."
I'll challenge that statement.
I have a Rossi and it doesn't shoot .452 well at all. I changed to .454 and now my rifle groups rather than "patterns." Perhaps .452 might work well for jacketed, but I'll recommend .454 for cast loads.
Rossi uses the same barrel on all of their .45 caliber rifles - A 1:10 twist that will shoot the 250gr cast boolit best. I've seen some 270gr .454s that worked quite well in other guns, although I have not tried the heavier boolits myself.

robertbank
11-03-2013, 03:18 PM
"The Rossi will use .452 boolits as well."
I'll challenge that statement. I have a Rossi and it doesn't shoot .452 well at all. I changed to .454 and now my rifle groups rather than "patterns." Perhaps .452 might work well for jacketed, but I'll recommend .454 for cast loads.

Rossi uses the same barrel on all of their .45 caliber rifles - A 1:10 twist that will shoot the 250gr cast boolit best. I've seen some 270gr .454s that worked quite well in other guns, although I have not tried the heavier boolits myself.

Well the twist rate n the Rossi is not 1 - 10, it is 1 - 30. The standard sizing for lead boolits in 45Colt is .452. If you prefer .454 fill your boots.

Take Care

Bob

UNIQUEDOT
11-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Well the twist rate n the Rossi is not 1 - 10, it is 1 - 30. The standard sizing for lead boolits in 45Colt is .452.

Yeah and from what I recall reading on the Rossi rifleman forum was that most barrels slug at .451 and prefer .452 boolits. I've ran .453-.454 in mine without leading. I've sized the last batch to .452, but haven't done any testing yet.

robertbank
11-04-2013, 01:05 AM
The guns will run with the larger bullet as long as they will chamber. The barrel will size them down quick enough. The bore certainly will be sealed.

Take Care

Bob

jh45gun
11-04-2013, 02:39 AM
I have a Rossi Ranch hand in 45 Colt and I shoot 255 grain semi wad cutters in mine sized .452 and they shoot very well. I shoot the standard load of 8 grains of Unique and it makes a good easy to shoot load in the Ranch Hand. Probably not much different than factory 225 grain ammo in recoil. I have shot 300 grain in mine as well with no issues. From what I have read and from what folks have reported what the BATF says if you put a removable butt cuff on the back of them it is legal as it would be no different than putting on a rubber sleeve over a pistol grip. And if you keep it short they might balk at a long extension but a couple of inches is fine. You just cannot put on any thing permanent. Best thing I did to mine is a taller fiber optic front sight. It shoots right where I aim it now. I think these are handy and fun and they are accurate.