PDA

View Full Version : need info on bullet length

johnson1942
10-31-2013, 03:49 PM
ive always relied on the green hill formula and it has never let me down. i have two .50 cal guns in 1/23 twist. they are very accurate, but fussy, with a 1.4 long 720 grain paper patch bullet. i shoot 100 grains of 2f black behind these bullets. i have developed a cast bullet design that is very accurate for a 1/28 twist .50 cal i have also. the cast bullet is 1.2 long and shoots consistantly accurate to very long ranges and close up also. one of the 1/23 50/s is a off the bench type and i want to shoot it a lot more. i would like to shoot it with less powder and the smaller bullet. i will have a 1.42 long mould made soon but i would still like to shoot as i said with less recoil, less powder(70) grains at targets to 200 yards at my place. am i wasteing my powder and time with the shorter bullet or is their a method of powder to bullet ratio that will give me groups i want? i will go to the 1.42 bullet if i have to but most of us are on a budget and you understand. im getting older now and i lost 22 lbs to a recent ilness and recoil that never bothered me before is a little more than i remembered. im building a new shooting bench to as im a little shakey now and hope recovery in a predicted year stops that. talk to me every, one i want to hear everyones experiences and knowledge in this area. i still like paper patch but i find my 1/18 twist .45 non fussy and uses anything i feed it without diff. oh yes dont let the wrong bug bite you, i got west nile virus in july and it darn near put me under the grass. prayer and the drs. saved me. thanks before hand for your posts.

Don McDowell
10-31-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm going out on a limb here and going to say that shorter bullet will most likely shoot alright. You may have to play with the load, wads stack etc.