PDA

View Full Version : Where's all the powder?

Jayhawkhuntclub
10-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Seems like I can find everything but powder. I live within 1 hour of Hodgdon and there doesn't seem to be any variety available here. I was at Cabelas in KC yesterday. They had no powders that interested me. They might of had a half dozen choices. In the past the primers were always the hardest to find IIRC.

Love Life
10-31-2013, 02:02 PM
My garage...

Beagle333
10-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Ya gotta order it, and pay the hazmat shipping. My LGS has been out of everything since the madness started.

Love Life
10-31-2013, 02:07 PM
Best to do a group buy with local reloaders. That has helped me save some money on powder orders.

Shiloh
10-31-2013, 03:03 PM
This has served me well^^^

Shiloh

Jayhawkhuntclub
10-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Ya gotta order it, and pay the hazmat shipping. My LGS has been out of everything since the madness started.

From...? I would turn to Midway or Powder Valley, but neither is well stocked (to put it mildly). To be specific: I'm talking about Unique and Bullseye. I don't have an emergency on my hands at the moment. But I would like to restock what I've used.

MtGun44
10-31-2013, 09:47 PM
The Bullet Hole has plenty. Last gun show at the airport area had lots.

Bill

btroj
10-31-2013, 09:49 PM
I have plenty, powder is where you find it. Buy it in 8 pounders if you can, even then it doesn't last long.

jcwit
10-31-2013, 09:58 PM
The LGS I've been in the last couple of weeks here in No. Ind. hav had a good stock of most powder and very reasonable pricing.

texassako
10-31-2013, 10:09 PM
I was thinking it was easier to find now. Local range even had a bunch of 1 pounders including 2400, Unique, Red Dot, and others that have been hard to find for a while.

runfiverun
10-31-2013, 10:20 PM
bullseye-red dot-700 x- aa#2-clays
unique-universal-herco-aa#5-green dot
see how this goes, learn to be flexible.

Bulldogger
11-01-2013, 08:38 AM
I ordered 10lbs from 3rdGenShootingSupply last week and got it yesterday. At that time they had Clay Dot (copy of Univ Clays), Blue Dot, Green Dot, Trail Boss, and many more in stock. Not a super duper selection of do-it-all pistol and rifle powders, but out of those I list I can load anything I shoot for a good long time.
I know some have had trouble with them, but that was earlier this year and they seem to have sorted their stocking problems out. It is a small operation, I gather, so you won't get instant gratification of "Hey, we just did this" in terms of each step of the gathering, packing, and shipping process, but they give and order number by email after you hit Go, and I started hitting it once a day and 5-6 days later (like their website and email said it might take) I saw on UPS.com my package and it arrived about 8 days after ordering.
For the price and availability, I'm happy as a clam.
I also second finding another shooter or two to share the hazmat and shipping, that makes it much more bearable. You do need to be able to drop $100 or so (each), to make it worthwhile, I think.
Just try to have the other sportsmen on the phone or nearby, as powder availability is so variable it's no good to ask them to make a list, they'll just list the do-all powders, which are HARD to find, especially all in one place. Do a lot of cross-referencing and web searching. That's how I found out Clay Dot is a close-enough copy of Universal Clays, etc. If you buy an "almost" copy, do the usual short load and work up (*disclaimer, avoid very small loads on those powder types folks on CastBoolits have claimed might suffer detonation with cat sneeze quantities.)

Powder Valley, as someone mentioned, also has/had some last week, but not enough of what I needed to make it worthwhile.

I grabbed CCI small pistol primers off Midway last week too, more than I like paying, but they HAD them and for roughly what my tiny LGS (over)charges for them during good times.

Bulldogger

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-01-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm calling BS on the whole powder thing. Last summer, I went looking nobody had and said they couldnt get it.
I came home and called Western Powders. They said they had BOX CARS full of powder- no one was buying >:(
Someone is playing shenanigans.
BTW, they wouldnt and wont sell to individuals.

375RUGER
11-01-2013, 08:56 AM
I bet if you bought a box car full they would.

Tazman1602
11-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Yeah but WHERE Beagle? Even powder valley has almost nothing interesting. I've been shooting factory ammo out of my .308's because there is just zero amount of Varget available...............

Art

1Shirt
11-01-2013, 10:29 AM
A pretty fair quantity available here!
1Shirt!

waksupi
11-01-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm calling BS on the whole powder thing. Last summer, I went looking nobody had and said they couldnt get it.
I came home and called Western Powders. They said they had BOX CARS full of powder- no one was buying >:(
Someone is playing shenanigans.
BTW, they wouldnt and wont sell to individuals.

Jim, Hahn's Sporting Goods down on Zimmerman Road has had powder all year, although not a huge selection.

rintinglen
11-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Powder availability is slowly increasing in my neck of the woods. Both of my LGS had some yesterday, as well as some primers. They both restrict sales to 1 pound per person per day to allow all their customers a chance. Primers are still in short supply, though. Only store that has any is charging 3.99 a flat.

Jayhawkhuntclub
11-01-2013, 11:23 AM

Bill Thanks. I'll check the Bullet Hole. I try not to go to gun shows. I don't like the idea of paying money to see if there is anything I want to buy. I'm no where near desperate right now. If I can't find some by next spring, I may rethink that though.

Aunegl
11-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks. I'll check the Bullet Hole. I try not to go to gun shows. I don't like the idea of paying money to see if there is anything I want to buy. I'm no where near desperate right now. If I can't find some by next spring, I may rethink that though.

That's where I used to get my powder, when I lived in Mission.

felix
11-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Was the BulletHole Hodgdon's indoor range many moons ago? I tend to remember they were part of Hodgdon's during the 60s at that location. Foggy mind, though! ... felix

jcameron996
11-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Was the BulletHole Hodgdon's indoor range many moons ago? I tend to remember they were part of Hodgdon's during the 60s at that location. Foggy mind, though! ... felix

I think you are probably right. It seems like there is a Hodgdon's building that shares a parking lot with the BulletHole. I have only been there a couple of times to shoot the USPSA match on Friday nights. They have seemed to have a pretty good stock of reloading supplies. I was able to pick up a pound of WIN231 when no one else in the world seemed to have any.

prs
11-01-2013, 01:51 PM
I just checked at Third Generation Shooters Supply and they list ready to ship:

Promo 8# kegs
700X 1# bottles
7625 1# bottles
Blue Dot 1# 5# bottles
They may have others, there are just the ones I noticed.

prs
I have purchased several other powders from them as of late and had no delays or problems.

Garyshome
11-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Ed's gun shop Vass NC

craig61a
11-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I've been checking for months, every time I call a lot of the stuff I normally use is on backorder. I did notice that the Fleet Farm near me has set up a whole new section with reloading supplies (all the powder was out of stock...). Nice though to have another source nearby...

johnho
11-01-2013, 04:39 PM
It's starting to show up. Was at a small gun show this weekend and several vendors had only 1 pounders, no larger. And it was priced at $30 a pound, wow. Primers were available too but Winchesters were $35/1000 regardless of type. Glad I don't need any but it is showing up.

Sparky141
11-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Between Cabelas and the 2 LGS i can pretty much get any kind of powder or primers I want here in Eastern Ohio

tcbnick
11-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Bill
Yea, and I bought some at the show, and the prices were only a buck or two higher than mail order and no fee.

mold maker
11-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Closest LGS yesterday had 34 flavers at reasonale prices and 3-8 containers each, even the 8lb jugs. Several weeks ago the shelves were nearly bare.
They also had plenty of primers, but at $35./1000..

jonp
11-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Ed's gun shop Vass NC

Might head there tomarrow. I want to check out the new brewery a.nyways

jonp
11-01-2013, 09:29 PM
You need to check the sights every night and pull the trigger immediately when you see it. If you order 10lbs or 1 8lb container it works out pricewise

Full Mold Jack
11-01-2013, 10:05 PM
If anyone uses Hodgdon Universal and sees it on the shelf they might want to grab it.

I went shopping here for ADI AP70N which is the same stuff repackaged by Hodgdon as Universal and couldn't find it anywhere then after a little research I discovered this.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/news.asp

Disruptions to powder supply - AP70N
12 August 2013

We regret to inform reloaders that, due to a recent issue with the production of AP70N, there will be a temporary interruption in the supply of AP70N only. Please note that none of our other powders are affected, we continue to produce and stock our entire range of reloading powders. Production of AP70N will resume early in 2014, please continue to check this website for updates. We regret any inconvenience caused by this disruption.

So Universal may be in short supply for a while.

However I had no problem finding an 8lb keg of Unique so it looks like I'll be working up some new loads soon.

cheetah
11-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I believe the hoarders started this shortage but I also think our pals, the manufacturers and distributers, jumped on the opportunity to squeeze supply. Components are all over eastern Pennsylvania in time for hunting season at twenty percent over last year.

zomby woof
11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Plenty of powder where I shop

http://www.beikirchs.com/PDF/PowderInventory103013.pdf

Jayhawkhuntclub
11-19-2013, 04:28 PM

Bill
I just called the Bullet Hole. He said "No Bullseye, No Unique. Haven't seen any since last summer."[smilie=b:

detox
11-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Elite Pawn, Sigman rd., Conyers ,GA. has new shipment of Bullseye, Unique, 2400, Tightgroup, 4350, 223 CFE and several others. I paid $23.95 for 1 lb of Unique. CCI primers are $37.00

wistlepig1
11-20-2013, 10:17 PM
I was at Cabela's (North Denver)today and they had some powder and primers. Primers where $39-$44 a K. At those prices I just walked away!

jmort
11-20-2013, 10:21 PM
"Primers where $39-$44 a K. At those prices I just walked away!"

I'd take them. I need 1k SR right now!

h8dirt
11-20-2013, 10:37 PM
I just bought a 8# can of Unique. I thought the price of the powder was fair. Shipping + HazMat was about $60. Glad to get the powder. Buy once cry once.

Kraschenbirn
11-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Been picking up powder when/wherever I could find it at a reasonable price for the last few months. Snagged a couple pounds of IMR4895 this morning from a local farm store with a large hunting/fishing dept (Big R in Tilton, IL). Was the first 4895 of either label that I've seen in quite awhile and they also had several other IMRs (4064, 4350, 3031) and a few Hodgens (H335, Varget, HP38) along with some shotgun powders like 700X and Clays. Looks like retail supplies may be coming back around here and prices were only a bucks or two over what I was paying about a year ago.

Bill

TXGunNut
11-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Situation is improving, just be patient. My powder shelf has completely recovered and I'm hoping primers will be along soon.