PDA

View Full Version : cast iron grille modification

Charlie Two Tracks
10-31-2013, 01:44 PM
I recently went to a yard sale and found three cast iron grills at a total cost of $12.00. One is a Lodge and the other two are Heuck Classic. One of the Heuck grills measures almost 11 inches square and I was wondering about trying to grind the ridges on the cooking surface flat. That way, I would have a real nice sized frying pan. Anybody done that or heard of it being done? I really don/t need three grills.

MT Gianni
10-31-2013, 06:47 PM
I call a grill:
1] something you put charcoal in or turn on a burner and cook burgers on.
2] a grate that fits over a campfire.
3] a greasy spoon cafe that cooks all of their food on a flat griddle top.
Are you talking about cast iron pans with ridges? I have difficulty picturing what you have.

Lance Boyle
10-31-2013, 06:57 PM
I have a lodge grill pan, I pretty much hate using the thing.

If you don't like it, give it away, it's not worth the effort to bust out the ridges, you'll end up finding an empty pore to spoil your effort if your luck is like mine.

Charlie Two Tracks
10-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Cast iron pan with the ridges on the cooking surface. I like using them but three seems a bit much and I really need a big skillet.

RED333
10-31-2013, 08:08 PM
One of the Heuck grills measures almost 11 inches square and I was wondering about trying to grind the ridges on the cooking surface flat. That way, I would have a real nice sized frying pan. Anybody done that or heard of it being done? I really don/t need three grills.

We collect cast iron, we have a 24" skillet, and all sizes down to 2".
Take it to a machine shop and have them mill them out.
It might be worth some money, try doing a bit of research on it.
We have some pieces that are worth a few dollars, but are priceless to us.
2 of them are old waffle irons.

starmac
10-31-2013, 08:56 PM
I like them for cooking bacon. I have one (quite a bit larger) that one side is flat and the other corrugated, that I really like.

unclogum bill
11-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Put it on ebay and sell it for 12 bucks. But they do cook nice steak,burgers and hotdogs. helps keep the grease from soaking in.