PDA

View Full Version : 1863 Sharps ignition problems

hhilljr
10-31-2013, 09:45 AM
I am working with my second 1863 Sharps rifle, having become infatuated with these guns. My first was an older IAB Marchetta which never failed to fire even once. I sold it and purchased a Pedersoli .45 sporting version, and my troubles began.

Using the same RWS caps as I had previously, I had several failures to light the cap, and some failures to fire when the caps did go off. I replaced the original nipple with an Ampco/Treso nipple, which eliminated the cap misfires completely. Last night I tried to spend some time at the bench, without luck.

I am dropping in a bullet followed by 90 grains of Goex 2F. The first hammer fall fired the cap but no boom. The second cap fired the gun with a very slight but noticeable delay. From that point on, through a half dozen caps, it would not fire.

I have tried to make sure my breechblock is clean and dry, and I thought if I had one shot go off the remainder of my shots would be OK.

The new nipple has a much smaller hole in the bottom than the original, should I open up the new one? Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks.

country gent
10-31-2013, 10:35 AM
I would ceck the channel in the block to make sure it is clear and the holes line up completly. Use a fine wire or maybe a pipe cleaner for this. A cleaner for tourch tips may have a wire the right size also.If I remember corectly the spark has to make 2 turns on this rifle to get to the powder. Does your use no11 caps or musket caps?Before modifying anything I would try the above. A slightly plugged or misalighned hole could cause this. Also check the hammer spring and its power a weak hammer blow may not be holding the cap sealed tight enough.

hhilljr
10-31-2013, 11:05 AM
I have tried my best to clean the block channels thoroughly, and to dry them too. As for the holes being lined up, I can run something back through the cleanout hole and see it through he nipple seat. I do remember that the length of the cleanout screw is important because, if I remember correctly, it turns the fire out into the charge. It looks to be the correct length, but haven't yet measured it.

I am using musket caps, but the comment about hammer spring strength makes me wonder. When these caps are fired without the gun going off, there is quite a bit of flash in front of my eyes, so much so that I'm glad to be looking through a tang sight. Cocking the hammer doesn't seem too weak, but wouldn't a small hole through the nipple contribute to back pressure ?

John Allen
10-31-2013, 11:26 AM
I used to have an 1863 I would check the breechblock and make sure there is nothing in there. I always sued to pull the breechblock before I shot it and wipe all the oil off. I then fired a couple of caps to make sure it was dry.

DIRT Farmer
10-31-2013, 12:39 PM
The only issue I have ever had with mine was having oil in the flash channel, sounds like you have covered this. I also am using loose powder and cast in the 54. It is legal in Indiana for cartridge deer hunting (not as a muzzleloader) with a fixed cartridge so I load a few when deer hunting.