PDA

View Full Version : Case cleaner setup for rapid bottleneck BPCR cases

Frank Savage
10-31-2013, 06:44 AM
Case: 8x60R Kropatschek, which has .324 inner dia of neck after firing, while have a bit more than twice that at the base, fired with holy black.
3x5 milimeter (about 1/12"x1/5") ceramic media does not work so well, due to stacking in the bottle. No great action or no cleaning action inside the case-so the tumbling is almost worthless, since the time and work involved also includes cleaning the inside with brush. A bit too time consuming and not perfectly cleaned inside the neck. The smaller 2x4 mm media are so pricey now and here that amount needed is about the same price as 1/2 gal. ultrasonic cleaner with heater. I have no sure indication about the 2x4 media does or does not jam in the cases also. So

What are your experiences with cleaning of such bottlenecked case-would you recomend to go with smaller media, or to go with the ultrasonic cleaner, which easily holds 100 cases?

Thanks for sugestions

dromia
11-01-2013, 05:19 AM
This is one of the rare situations where I would use my stainless steel pins.

martinibelgian
11-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Never used ceramic media, but use an ultrasonic cleaner for everything BP. The unit must be big enough, powerful enough and heated. Mine's 3L, the minimum size for me, 5 would be better. Don't buy cheap chinese though... I use a weak acidic solution (citric acid), and it does give a good cleaning action inside and out )- but for a shine, you need to tumble it afterwards.

country gent
11-01-2013, 08:35 AM
I soak cases in citric acid ( lemi shine ) ad dawn dish soap in about a gallonof hot tap water ( enough to completly cover the cases. This loosens removes alot then dry and vibrate in corn cop and a teaspoon of so of new finish car polish. cases come out clean and bright primer pockets look good too. About an hour inthe soak and a couple hours in the vibrator.I also deprime by hand before the soak.

Don McDowell
11-01-2013, 07:33 PM
You can get ceramic media that is smaller sized and angle cut that works great on the smaller bores.
I generally use the ceramic on the 44-77 bn when cleaning large batches. But have to agree with martinibelgian about the ultrasonic cleaner. I do rinse the cases with just water before going into the ultrasonic, then run mine for two 8 minute cycles, then rinse and dry, and when dry off to the corncob media for an hour or so to get the pretty shine back on.

bigted
11-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I must say that I am +2 with the ultrasonic thing. that thing is just the best. takes my bp fouled cases and strips em clean of any small crevis seekin gunk. I also pre rinse in dish soap water with the primers out. this has to be the easiest cleaning for a FOR SURE clean on my bp cases especially my 43 Spanish [44-77 like] cases.

John Boy
11-03-2013, 10:24 PM
What are your experiences with cleaning of such bottlenecked case-would you recomend to go with smaller media, or to go with the ultrasonic cleaner, which easily holds 100 cases? Frank ... Order the 2mm K-Polish Ceramic triangles from Kramer ... http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/tumbling-media/precision-ceramic-media/precision-ceramic-polishing.htm

Precision Ceramic Polishing Triangles
Bond K-Polish
Color White
Application Polish/Light Deburr
Media Wear Excellent
Surface Finish Bright
Sizes Available
(length x depth) 2 x 2 mm, 3 x 3 mm, 4 x 4 mm, 6 x 6 mm

2 mm x 2 mm K-Polish Triangles are available in 1, 3, 5, 10, 25, 50 and 55 lb packages at www.KramerDepot.com. For all other sizes and shapes (packaged in 55 lb boxes), please call us at 1-888-515-9443

In a rotary tumbler with the 2mm's ... Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution and a squirt of Dawn, I clean 220 Swifts up to 50-70's. Insides/outsides and primer pockets come out like new for both smokeless & black powder brass.
Strat-O-Sheen ... http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Strat-O-Sheen-Powder-Burnishing-Compound-5-lbs/3390175

Years back, I drove to Kramer Industries lab in NJ with a dirty 25-20 case in my pocket and asked them - "What will clean and polish this" I have been completely satisfied with the 2mm's!