PDA

View Full Version : Any casting people close to me

skykingjohn
10-30-2013, 10:00 PM
I am getting my stuff together to start casting and was wondering if there were any caster close that might be willing to let me watch and learn from . I live in the lake gaston/ littleton nc area i cant pay but am willing to trade skills .

thanks john

Duarteus
10-30-2013, 10:13 PM
2bad .. North Shore Massachusetts . :drinks: ,But to anyone around my neck of the wood you are welcome to join me for a casting work out :Bright idea: I 'm new as well to the casting class ,but have all my gear in order :-P

runfiverun
10-31-2013, 01:54 PM
i'll kick this back up the ladder.
you can see where i'm at... so no help unless you wanna drive across country.

Love Life
10-31-2013, 01:56 PM
^^His casting room is heated and has a TV. May be worth the trip.

Shiloh
10-31-2013, 06:48 PM
LOL^^^;)

Shiloh

Chihuahua Floyd
10-31-2013, 07:01 PM
I had to google Littleton, Sorry, wrong end on NC.
Anybody near Halifax County, NC can help this gentleman out?
CF

seanhagerty
10-31-2013, 07:26 PM
South Central Misosuri here.

johnho
10-31-2013, 08:39 PM
I'll be in Calabash NC in mid December but that is a trip for me. Suggest that if no one is available get the Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook and read that. It will walk you through the whole process. I learned by myself with that book. If you run into some problems then ask specifically the questions here with some pics and you will get the answers. It's not hard and once you start doing it it will all fall in line. Melt that lead, heat up the mold and start casting. When the temp of the mold reaches the right temp the bullets will all be smooth and pretty. How will you lube? Are you going to size them? If so do you have the equipment for that? Don't forget to wear safety glasses and heat resistant gloves too. Get a thermometer also, it helps in the beginning and then you won't use it much. Wear long pants and shoes with no open tops where lead can fall into-that smarts, don't ask. Keep your room well ventilated but you won't be working at temps where the lead will vaporize. Don't forget to flux, that's why you want to ventilate. Don't get burned. Ha. Good luck with that in the beginning. See, easy.

btroj
10-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Not even close. I would be a convenient stopping place on the way to Run's..........

JeffG
10-31-2013, 11:39 PM
I am getting my stuff together to start casting and was wondering if there were any caster close that might be willing to let me watch and learn from . I live in the lake gaston/ littleton nc area i cant pay but am willing to trade skills .

thanks john

I'm about 10 miles east of Raleigh. I might be able to work out something with you in a couple weeks on the weekend.
:castmine:

skykingjohn
10-31-2013, 11:46 PM
I am watching all the utube vidios i can and have a casting book coming and have just started my second book on casting . lucky i am a marine mech so i know medal and safe work habits . just hoping to watch someone do it that knows what to do . I am planing to do the whole Monty when it comes to not getting burned with lead i know what a small peace of solder feel like down the sleeve do not want to know what a bigger peace of molten lead feels like down any other place

skykingjohn
10-31-2013, 11:55 PM
great i look forward to it is peidmont near rock mount or wilson

rondog
11-01-2013, 12:36 AM
This is a good idea! Any members here in the Denver area? I'm in Parker, right at the south end of the Denver Metro area. I'd love to do a watch & learn session too. I'm sure this is easy, but watching it done would really help remove a lot of the mystery.

JeffG
11-01-2013, 11:11 AM
great i look forward to it is peidmont near rock mount or wilson

Peidmont just refers to the middle area in north carolina around Raleigh. I'm in Wendell.

runfiverun
11-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Dennis Eugene put up a little video here somewhere, I thought I saved it but can't find it now.

skykingjohn
11-01-2013, 10:32 PM
small world jeffg hope we can hookup .

JeffG
11-02-2013, 10:48 PM
I'll pop you an email.