PDA

View Full Version : Shot my new GP-100 today.

Ben
10-30-2013, 08:07 PM
I realize that this test target certainly isn't all inclusive of much of anything but it was my 1st trip to the range with my new revolver and I thought that it gave a " good showing ".

I bought this revolver to use as a home self defense weapon for my family. It isn't very likely that I'll be firing at distances of more than 15 yards in home defense.( probably 98% of the time ......more like 7 yards and less )

This was shot at 15 yards with a 2 hand " Weaver Stance ". I'm pleased !

I think this one is a " keeper." My action is silky smooth and the trigger doesn't need a thing. A factory pistol that has not had any work done to it. Way to go Ruger, MADE IN AMERICA ! !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/download-9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/009-38.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/005-49.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/004-63.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/006-53.jpg

Lefty SRH
10-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Wow that's nice! Definitely a keeper!

dmize
10-30-2013, 08:49 PM
My little brother bought one of those and I love almost as my older half lug GP100.
That should definitely take care of business.

Joni Lynn
10-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Very nice looking GP100, the front sight is a nice touch.

Ben
10-30-2013, 09:50 PM
That front sight is VERY nice for old eyes like mine.

Makes a very contrasting sight picture that is easy to pick up , even in low light.

grampa243
10-30-2013, 10:06 PM
makes me want to go pay off the one i have on lay-a-way :)

Ben
10-30-2013, 10:29 PM
makes me want to go pay off the one i have on lay-a-way :)

If it shoots like mine, it will be good money spent !

Ben

Bzcraig
11-01-2013, 01:33 AM
I was very happy with the way my new to me 3" GP100 shot but need to do something about the front sight. The blade is dark and impossible to see against a dark background at least for my eyes. Any suggestions?

captaint
11-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks alot, Ben. After reading your first thread on the new GP-100, I went and ordered one at the LGS. Got a decent price, too !! This will be my first Ruger DA pistol. There goes the gun budget again !! Might be a month or 2 before it comes in, though. Mike PS. Great looking guns, eh ??

Rio Grande
11-03-2013, 10:56 AM
GP-100.

Out from his coffin, Drac's voice did ring
Seems he was troubled by just one thing
He opened the lid and shook his fist
And said, "Whatever happened to my Security-Six?"

Petrol & Powder
11-03-2013, 11:25 AM
The GP-100 is one of the best revolvers out there and way under-rated. You've got a good one!
I've owned and shot L-frame Smith's and GP-100's and they're both good guns but I lean towards the Ruger. The design of the GP is superior IMHO. The crane is locked to the frame, the cylinder bolt notches are offset from the chambers, the non-rotating ejector rod only performs one function, the lock-work is modular and uses coil springs, the peg that the grip attaches to allows a wide variety of grips, it's super strong, they shoot really well, They never break, It can be disassembled with a screwdriver, punch and a finishing nail!, IT DOESN'T have that idiotic internal lock!.........I could go on but there's no need.
Enjoy your GP !

williamwaco
11-03-2013, 11:27 AM
You are going to love that piece

daniel lawecki
11-03-2013, 01:10 PM
One of the best factory guns out there for the price. Built like a tank shoots and handles like no other.

roverboy
11-03-2013, 04:43 PM
GP-100.

Nice poem.

waco
11-03-2013, 07:31 PM
My Father and I bought one, SS< for my brother. Great gun! Built like a tank, and accurate!
Wish I had one!

rockshooter
11-03-2013, 10:52 PM
BZCraig: Hobby stores have tiny bottles of bright paints. Use white as a base, then pick a color (I use baby blue). A coat of clear fingernail polish makes it last longer. Acetone will remove it neatly.
Loren

james6600
11-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Nice piece, strong enough to withstand anything but stupid. I own more Rugers then any other maker, and so far not one has had a single malfunction in 30 years (other than faulty rimfire ammo). Congratulations, James

DoubleAdobe
11-04-2013, 10:01 AM
GP-100.

Just excellent, and I resemble that remark.

MtGun44
11-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Ben,

I have it on good authority [there was a thread on a website somewhere. . . . . ;-) ] that
cast boolits aren't accurate in 357s. How could you get that group?

:kidding:

Bill

Seriously - great shooting, and clearly a well-made revolver with well-made ammo.

Ben
11-06-2013, 06:18 AM
Ben,

I have it on good authority [there was a thread on a website somewhere. . . . . ] that

Bill

Bill,

Must have been a " fluke " ?

Those old cast bullets won't shoot , now will they ?

I'm like you, the stuff that is printed on the internet is simply amazing. A beginner should be very careful what he accepts as the gospel.

I wonder if the " Bad Guy " would be willing to bet his life on a " fluke" ? ? ?

Ben

2wheelDuke
11-06-2013, 10:09 AM
This thread just reminded to follow up on an offer I made on a 4" stainless GP100. The guy didn't like the gun I had for trade, so maybe I can get him to budge on his cash price.

John in WI
11-21-2013, 08:40 PM
That is a beauty! I've never owned a GP-100, but the one you showed there is the first thing on my list for after I graduate. I love the caliber, I love the black finish, and as everyone agrees, those things are built to take it. And clearly you got a real shooter there.

I don't know what it is, but I'm partial to a good revolver (my HD weapon is an old police trade in Smith .38)--and you got a beauty there!

jonp
11-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I bought a stainless and put that same front sight on. Made a world of difference in the woods

Hammerhead
11-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Love the GP100. Mine is a 4" stainless made last year.
I guess mine is 'flukey' accurate too. Flukey with light swaged lead loads, flukey with cast wadcutters and even flukey with 158 grain Rainier plated RNFP bullets.
I switched out the Hogue grips for the old style rubber with grip insets and now I'm doing the best revolver shooting of my life, both DA and SA. The old style rubber gives me a much high hand hold. That seems to really help the DA pull and reduce muzzle flip.

I added the red ramp front sight from Ruger, a big help for my old eyes.
Saving up for a Bowen rear sight.

rintinglen
11-23-2013, 01:50 PM
You know, only the plastic Square gun shooters are surprised at that group. All the old salts who shot PPC back in the day know full well that a quality revolver like your Ruger can be expected to shoot like that. Now if only this old salt could still SEE the sights to shoot like that. (Though in bright sun I can still shoot respectably.):-(

GaryN
11-24-2013, 01:26 AM
I really like my GP100 also. It is one of my most accurate revolvers. I got a fire sight for it from Brownells. Really brightens things up.

357Ruger
11-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Ben,

I have it on good authority [there was a thread on a website somewhere. . . . . ] that

Bill

Bill,

Must have been a " fluke " ?

Those old cast bullets won't shoot , now will they ?

I'm like you, the stuff that is printed on the internet is simply amazing. A beginner should be very careful what he accepts as the gospel.

I wonder if the " Bad Guy " would be willing to bet his life on a " fluke" ? ? ?

Ben

I've fired 12 round groups out of a GP-100 using commercial cast bullets that stayed under 2 inches at 50 yards (scoped gun off a rest). Then did it twice more just to prove it was a good load. Those of you who make your own bullets could probably do better.
My groups probably would have been better if I could see like I did when young and had a steadier rest.

Too bad those cast bullets aren't very accurate, the gun might have done better!!!

dknight297
04-10-2014, 11:41 PM
First post (yay me! LOL), My wife bought me a SS 6 inch about 6 years ago and it has been on our bed every night since. We used to shoot a buddy of mines a few years before and she found out that it was the best shooting (for her) gun she had ever touched. We had an armor sil. target and she was ringing it at 100 yards! At 75 to 100 ft. she can turn anyone's head into a canoe. It has been the most dependable, hard hitting handgun I have ever owned. Now I just need to get that front site changed out like yours! LOL

MtGun44
04-11-2014, 05:15 PM
The 6" Sec Six is a wonderful old pistol, too. I have one that is very
accurate,too.

Bill