PDA

View Full Version : American Primer Ignition Long Range Rifle

ResearchPress
10-30-2013, 06:30 PM
The above rifle sold recently. It is thought to be the work of Charles Overbaugh.

The dealer has given me permission to add it to my Research Press web site. It is also linked to the dealers page, where images can be enlarged.

I have added a little information about Overbaugh that I have been able to find. Anyone got any other ideas about the maker - or any additional information on Overbaugh?

See: http://www.researchpress.co.uk/gunmakers/unitedstates/overbaugh/index.htm

David

johnson1942
10-30-2013, 09:57 PM
a 1800/s inline? i looked up antique inlines and their are some out their. i even found a inline antique flintlock on the internet. thanks for the post.

451 Pete
11-01-2013, 05:52 PM
David the only thing I have is this " Overbaugh, C.E. about 1880 Gunsmith and dealer at 300 Broadway, New York . Specialized in metallic cartridge match or target rifles. " American Firearms Makers by A. Merwyn Carey
I checked a number of my other books but with no further results.

Pete

ResearchPress
11-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks for looking Pete.

David

Squeeze
11-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Awesome gun! obviously way ahead of its time, Im thinking the slot in the forend might be a storage bin for a tang peep? just seems to make sense with the hashmark scale look to it. maybe the peep was laid in there for distance adjustments? does the 2 slot screws on the tang and top rear serve a true purpose, or are they a cap of sorts? just a guess

451 Pete
11-03-2013, 10:34 AM
David ,
A project is currently underway at Friendship Indiana in the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association's new Education Building to catalog reference materials that have been donated over the 80 years of the existence of the association. Some additional information on something like this rifle may possibly be found with further research within these materials. ( I would guess that there is several thousand muzzle loading related books plus various magazines and an archive of all of the issues of Muzzle Blast, the member magazine of the N.M.L.R.A. )

Pete