PDA

View Full Version : 32 fans

Lloyd Smale
11-08-2007, 08:46 PM
http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=6&id=171&brand=5&year=2007

Skrenos
11-08-2007, 09:27 PM
So, it's basically a 32 H&R super mag. Hopefully the extra length will help fill up that big empty space from bullet to forcing cone, but I dont think it's gonne be enough. So, we can all take our .32 mag sp101 revolvers and just ream 1/8" deeper to rechamber, right?

Harry O
11-08-2007, 09:49 PM
So, we can all take our .32 mag sp101 revolvers and just ream 1/8" deeper to rechamber, right?

Thats right. When the SP-101 first came out, it was for .38 Special only (my wife has one). It was way heavier than it needed to be for a .38 Special -- even a +P. A few gunsmiths reamed them out for .357 Magnum and they were written up in the gun magazines as "Pocket Rockets". The only problem was that it could not take more than 125gr bullets because of the length. Ruger started offering the same thing in a year or so. The gun was actually stamped "125gr bullets ONLY". But enough idiots complained so that Ruger lengthened the frame and cylinder. Then it could take any factory .357 Magnum load made. This should be no different.

floodgate
11-08-2007, 10:09 PM
HarryO:

"The gun was actually stamped "125gr bullets ONLY". But enough idiots complained so that Ruger lengthened the frame and cylinder. Then it could take any factory .357 Magnum load made. This should be no different."

Idiots??? Sound like sensible folks to me, and a sensible response fron Rugger!

Doug

Mk42gunner
11-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Sounds like it is supposed to have the ballistics the 32 Mag would have had if it came out in a Ruger first; instead of an H&R.

Any idea on Max length overall? I wonder if Ruger will camber it in a Single Six platform like the SSM? Cylinder length on mine is 1.412".

Robert

Nueces
11-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Oh, man. Life has color again! This'll be fun. Thanks, Lloyd.

Mark

AZ-Stew
11-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks, Lloyd! I GOTS to git me one o' THEM!

I've also been waiting for Speer to come out with a Gold Dot bullet in .32. I hope they follow up the 115 gr with one in the 95 gr (+/- 5gr) range. Damn! The world gets better every day! The mind reels with the possibilities! :idea:

I have a little Taurus .32 H&R Titanium that's the size of a Smith J frame. It fits in my pants pocket and simply disappears. If I walk around with it for 5 minutes or so, I forget it's there. Can't wait for Smith to bless us with a Scandium J frame in this new hottie! :bigsmyl2:

I wonder how fast I can drive an RCBS 98gr SWC with AA#7? YEE-HAW!

Regards,

Stew

lawboy
11-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Not interested unless they give the sp101 a FULLY ADJUSTABLE REAR SIGHT. I like my sp101 32 magnum just fine except for the cheesy rear sight. Come on Ruger ... it is just ridiculous.

spurrit
11-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Do Ruger's double action triggers make anyone else want to vomit?

Harry O
11-09-2007, 08:55 AM
HarryO:

Idiots??? Sound like sensible folks to me, and a sensible response fron Rugger!

Doug

It doesn't to me. If it is stamped that way, you buy it as it or don't buy it at all. Simple.

lawboy
11-09-2007, 12:13 PM
The trigger on mine is very good but I bought it used and someone ovbiously spent some money cleaning it up.

Larry Gibson
11-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Doesn't float my boat....If I want .357 performance I'll use a .357. That's what's nice about my Ruger Single Six (original model)...it's not a .357 but a nice low recoil, easy to carry and fun to shoot .32. Neither my Ruger or my 10" TC Contender barrel in .32 H&R will see a reamer for the .327. Now as to that 6th round for a snub gun...if you haven't got a close range problem sorted out with 5 shots the 6th one is a rather moot point. Contrary to most IPSC "assault" courses requiring multiple shots and reloads and most of the movies all real handgun shootouts are resolved with just about half of 6 shots. Be nice if Federal AND Ruger would concentrate on better .32 H&R products instead of something "new".

Larry Gibson

9.3X62AL
11-09-2007, 06:36 PM
It would take an SP-101 with 4" barrel-length and DECENT adjustable sights to get my interest. It would be nice if S&W could do another K-frame or J-frame in this caliber. Dunno if that will happen.

spurrit
11-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Doesn't float my boat....If I want .357 performance I'll use a .357. That's what's nice about my Ruger Single Six (original model)...it's not a .357 but a nice low recoil, easy to carry and fun to shoot .32. Neither my Ruger or my 10" TC Contender barrel in .32 H&R will see a reamer for the .327. Now as to that 6th round for a snub gun...if you haven't got a close range problem sorted out with 5 shots the 6th one is a rather moot point. Contrary to most IPSC "assault" courses requiring multiple shots and reloads and most of the movies all real handgun shootouts are resolved with just about half of 6 shots. Be nice if Federal AND Ruger would concentrate on better .32 H&R products instead of something "new".

Larry Gibson

The cowboy action folks seem to be obsessed with .32's. Why? Because they can't get away with competing with .22's. A bunch of them go off about authenticity, then carry more weapons than a real cowboy ever would have owned, in calibers he'd have never considered.

MT Gianni
11-10-2007, 01:10 AM
The cowboy shooters also like the lack of recoil making for a fast 2nd shot. G

2 dogs
11-10-2007, 01:47 AM
It'll make great Jackrabbit medicine!

Larry Gibson
11-10-2007, 01:21 PM
It'll make great Jackrabbit medicine!

Heck, the .32 H&R already is that!

Larry Gibson

9.3X62AL
11-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Heck, the .32 H&R already is that!Larry Gibson

+1. The CCW/SD marketing emphasis (so far at least) enthusiastically ignores the sporting potenial such a caliber has, which could expand its market greatly. But I'm just a gun buyer/shooter/handloader, not a marketing maven or gunrag mouthpiece. What could I know?

spurrit
11-11-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm constantly amazed, since we got CCW here in Kansas, how many people I see buying .32's for self defense. The way I see it, if 8 rounds of .45's don't kill the guy, I'm pretty much screwed, but I'll have time to reload.

happy7
11-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Am I missing something? It seems to me the whole point of carrying a 32 instead of a 357 for self defense is so you can carry a smaller gun and this ruger is not small. Now if they could fit that 327 into something smaller than a J frame that would be interesting to me.

Three44s
11-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Some posts point out the lack of adjustable sights on the SP101 ......

Alpha Precison can fix that.

http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com/

Three 44s

spurrit
11-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Am I the only one that thinks guns should come set up correctly from the factory? There are too many gunmakers out there putting out guns that need smithing before they can be relied on. And why the HELL is it such a big deal to let us order a gun with target sights? Hell, it makes them $50 a whack to sell us $10 in parts and drill a couple of holes!

Dale53
11-12-2007, 12:00 PM
I, for one, believe a handgun without adjustable sights is "crippled".

The only exception, is a duty gun that can be regulated for ONE load.

I bought my Ruger SP101 because it was chambered in .32 H&R Magnum. I deplored that fact that the rear sight was only adjustable for windage. It was flat unusable to me as it shot entirely too high for proper use. So, I had a Red Dot installed (required a good gunsmith to mill a standard Weaver base to fit the two level receiver/frame of the Ruger, drill two holes and then hang the Red Dot). It makes a marvelous little revolver that I can NOW shoot with a variety of ammo. My gunsmith thought I was a bit "strange" for hanging a Red Dot on a small revolver, but he was nicely accommodating, anyway:mrgreen:.

Dale53

9.3X62AL
11-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Dale, mid-caliber enthusiasts are a little different anyway.

I've rolled this around for a few days.......if the SP-101 came out with a 4" barrel and decent sights--or S&W did a 4" Kit Gun in this caliber (probably a 5-shot) with adjustable sights--I might just buy one.

It also occurred to me that with the birthing of the 327, we now have 4 case lengths of 32 caliber cartridges that could conceivably be fired in the 327--32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum, and the 327 Federal.

Lloyd Smale
11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
well i been sitting back and reading the comments. Personaly i love the 32s. There about as much fun as a guy can have with his pants on but to me the 327 doesnt have much appeal. Most of the 32 ammo my guns see are moderately loaded 32 mags or 32 specials. I chuckle at there advertisement that its as powerful as a 357 with less recoil.
Thats like the old 41 mag vs 44 mag arguement. I dont care what anyone says a 44 mag is more of a gun then a 41 and a 357 will be more then a 32 if loaded properly. What this round does is about the same thing the 454 does over the 45 colt. Next to nothing. If a guy is shooting cast bullets a 32 mag case will push them as fast as they need to be pushed in a sixgun.
I hear the argument that it will make a great self defense gun for a women because i recoils less. That little bugger is going to be a fire breather for muzzleblast and i would guess that about every women that cranks one off is going to put it down and not want another thing to do with it. Ive shot 3220s loaded hot and 30 carbines and to put one in a 3 inch barrel and it would scare off alot of experienced shooters
I personaly think rugers has it head up its ***! The put all this research into a round and a gun that i doubt will have a chance in hell of making it in the long run and discontinue the 480 which is about the best ballanced big bore round ever. They should have put that effort into making a single action 5 shot 480 and insureing that a good round didnt die.
I guess alot of it is the fault of the consumers. To many people just dont understand how handguns work and think that velocity is king. I guess thats why guns like the 454s and 460s and every rifle thats called a magnum sells like hotcakes. Call something a special and it will sit on the shelf for years. Id about bet if they would have called the 480 the 480 mag it would have made it.
Ruger doesnt have there head up there *** totaly as i heard the 4 inch redhawks in 45 are soon to hit the market. My gun buying days are comming to a sceaching halt but thats one that id really like to have.
They might have gotten my attention even if they would have came out with a 5.5 inch single six stainless bisley in 32 mag but this doesnt float my boat.

2 dogs
11-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Lloyd ole pal, keep your life preserver handy! Here come my comments! For putting the slap on small varmints VELOCITY is king. Your comments on the 327 Federal for self defense are pretty accurate but dont overlook the fact that even if she misses the bad guy she might light his butt on fire.....Ruger and Smith are going to do what they are going to do...Im hoping Smith reintroduces some of the small sixguns you cant get anymore and as far as Ruger making the 327 in a SS it aint likely so Im just gonna make my own....so overall, Im glad to see it....

Lloyd Smale
11-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I knew id raise your hackles but i thought it would take more then 2 minutes for you to go after me :) Hell you texans are about the biggest market for those wizz bang super mags anyway!!!!
Lloyd ole pal, keep your life preserver handy! Here come my comments! For putting the slap on small varmints VELOCITY is king. Your comments on the 327 Federal for self defense are pretty accurate but dont overlook the fact that even if she misses the bad guy she might light his butt on fire.....Ruger and Smith are going to do what they are going to do...Im hoping Smith reintroduces some of the small sixguns you cant get anymore and as far as Ruger making the 327 in a SS it aint likely so Im just gonna make my own....so overall, Im glad to see it....

spurrit
11-12-2007, 10:30 PM
I, for one, believe a handgun without adjustable sights is "crippled".
Dale53

I kinda agree, but when I'm gonna be horseback or in the brush, my Vaquero gets the nod over the Blackhawk. The blackhawk just seems more at home in an across the chest type holster.

9.3X62AL
11-15-2007, 09:56 AM
All of this 32 caliber discussion prompted me to take a look at Ruger's website last night. Sure enough, right there in front of God and everybody--there's the SP-101 in 327 Federal Magnum, with 3.1" barrel. Underwhelming.

What DID get my attention was the apparent return of the SP-101 in 32 Mag with 4" barrel--that variant had been supposedly taken out of print in early 2007, and it did not appear on the website at all a few months ago. One of these could attract my disposable income.

Skrenos
11-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Theonly good thing about this whole 327 magnum business is that we'll have a lot of new .32 magnum revolvers out there... with deep cut chambers.

johnly
11-15-2007, 12:28 PM
The 32 dream gun from my perspective was the S&W 631, a 4" 32 magnum on a J frame with adjustable sights. The Ruger single-six with 4 5/8" barrel with adjustable sights would be my second choice.

John in Oregon

Dale53
11-15-2007, 01:56 PM
I have a 631 and it shoots fine and has a very nice trigger. However, it is so light that I find it difficult to shoot really well with it (heck, maybe I am asking too much of a "Kit Gun"...). At any rate, mine is not for sale. It makes a dandy "walking thru the woods" piece. Pretty good protection from Coyotes and Feral Dogs (I'm far more concerned with feral dogs than I am Coyotes).

I have spoken about my SP101 .32 magnum and I really like this little revolver as a field piece with the Red Dot. I can see to shoot it with precision and it is quite strong for those 30,000 psi loads when I want a flat shooting, hard smacking .32. I have no intention of exceeding factory specs with my 631. I think it is a crime that Ruger doesn't offer real sights on the SP101, but I have satisfactorily solved that problem with mine. It certainly won't meet with everyone's approval, but I am HAPPY!:mrgreen:

One thing you might want to keep in mind. The Ruger will require a trigger job before serious use. They are relatively easy to fix, tho' so I would not let that keep me from considering the SP101.

Dale53

Larry Gibson
11-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Here' my .32s. The SS is an original run with 6 1/2" barrel. It is my favorite. It is very light weight and in that high ride holster the longer barrel is quite comfortable and doesn't get in the way at all. Best of all it has excellent adjustable sights and a long sight radius. The little S&W .32L is also a pleasure to pack and in the solid frame the 90 gr SWC scoots along at .32 H&R lead bullet velocity. The fixed sights on it leave a lot to be desired with my eyes these days. I've a S&W J frame rear sight I'm thinking about having installed. The 10" Contender barrel is awesome but I've not fully had a chance to wring it out. I'm looking at the 313631Gc 105 gr bullet at around 1500 fps or so. Should be a deadly jack rabbit load.

Larry Gibson

9.3X62AL
11-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Larry--

Lyman #313631 wasn't real impressive at 800-850 FPS from my Model 16-4, but kicked out the door harder (1100-1200 FPS) it redeemed itself somewhat. Still not as flexible as the RCBS 98 SWC, which shoots well from 700 to 1300 FPS--but a decent upper-end boolit just the same. Just an FYI.

I see a trend developing in my handgun work--a Ruger for high pressure work, and a S&W for middle-of-the-road and 90% stuff. I already have that in 357 Magnum (BisHawk x 7.5" and 686 x 4"), 41 Magnum (Blackhawk x 6.5" and M-657 x 6"), and 32 Magnum may soon follow. I did it for a while in 44 Magnum too, but the present Redhawk outshot the 629 x 4" I had, so a buddy bought the S&W to monkey around with. Sorta like guys in the Rust Belt with beatermobiles for winter and nice cars for nice weather.

Newtire
11-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I wondered when they were going to do that. Might make a nice rifle round for those cowboy guns. They say they have new powder to make it go all that fast in that short barrel. We'll see. I know that .32-20 sure gets attention at the range with all the boom that goes with a hot load. Don't see myself converting right yet either.

Mk42gunner
11-16-2007, 10:07 PM
This may be a silly question, but here goes. Since this is probably going to be a high pressure round, will it flame cut the top straps like the 357 Max was supposed to do? I wonder if this round will be available in five or ten years if it does?

Food for thought,

Robert

Nueces
11-16-2007, 11:23 PM
I suppose that could happen with the 'new' powder they intend to use, but the 32-20 has more capacity and has earned no such rep.

Mark

Bret4207
11-17-2007, 10:39 AM
The 32 dream gun from my perspective was the S&W 631, a 4" 32 magnum on a J frame with adjustable sights. The Ruger single-six with 4 5/8" barrel with adjustable sights would be my second choice.

John in Oregon

Ditto! The new cartridge, this 327, just seems like a marketing ploy to me. Kind of like the 32NAA. WHY? Maybe it's desperation on the sales aspect, but this will be as big a seller as the 9MM Federal, the 256 Win Mag, the 30 American, the 8mmRem Mag and the entire Shooting Times west/east series.

If these guys would develop some decent quality, affordable, adjustable sighted field guns for the 32 Mag they might have my $$$. To tell the truth if someone would bring back a nice adjustable sighted Iver Johnson/H+R top break 32 long or mag made with modern steels and a good barrel they'd get my money even faster. Give it a 6" barrel and make it under 30 oz. like my ancient IJ 32 long and they'd have something for the common man.

Mk42gunner
11-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Give it a 6" barrel and make it under 30 oz. like my ancient IJ 32 long and they'd have something for the common man.

Bingo,

It seems like nobody makes an affordable gun that you can actually carry anymore.

Robert

9.3X62AL
11-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Bingo,

It seems like nobody makes an affordable gun that you can actually carry anymore.

Robert

When I see some of the tripe that is trooped out each January by the gun and ammo makers--I have only one question........

WHAT COLOR IS THE SKY IN THEIR WORLD?

spurrit
11-18-2007, 01:53 AM
I honestly don't see the need of all the plastic guns. It seems that everyone is making one now, but I don't see their point.

Bret4207
11-18-2007, 10:08 AM
I honestly don't see the need of all the plastic guns. It seems that everyone is making one now, but I don't see their point.

Sales my good man, sales! All the mall ninjas and pseudo soldiers have to have the latest whiz bang super polymer tactical extreme lazer sighted rail light wonder gun in the latest tactical extreme caliber. Anything less will result in their instantaneous death at the hands of the rouge biker/drug crazed mob/terrorist/hostage situation/rabid dog attack they are sure lays await for them them next time they frequent the 7-11. After all, there are all those "TRUE STORY" type articles published each month in "Tactical Extreme Law Enforcement and Tactical Extreme Super Soldier" magazine written by "Guys Who Have Really Been There!!!". It's just a matter of time before they will be able to send in their article and become an instant world famous celebrity, (under an assumed name of course to protect their families), who will draw down big bucks from the Tactical Extreme Magazine Industry.

Anyone disagreeing is welcome to do so in next months exciting issue of "Tactical Trout Fishing!!!":roll:

Dale53
11-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Bret;
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm? Nah-h-h-h, not possible![smilie=1:

Unfortunately, a lot of what you say is correct. I DO believe in the Second Amendment and I DO believe in concealed carry. But entirely too many of these drugstore commandos live in a fantasy world. One of my goals, in my old age, is to be a good "wordsmith". I am SO sick of the word "tactical" that i nearly vomit every time I see it. I am however, waiting for the latest "tactical" finger nail clippers and the latest "tactical" toothbrush. That is about the only thing that "they" have missed.

That being said, the newspapers are full of "true stories" that illustrate why we SHOULD carry.

Frankly, I believe that polymer frames exist simply because they can be built for MUCH less money than forged steel. They do have the benefit of lighter weight, which for concealed carry, is a plus. I have a house full of guns, but for some reason, I don't have any polymer framed guns. Maybe I should come up out of the dark ages??![smilie=1:

Just an opinion, and we all know how much THAT is worth!:mrgreen:

Dale53

Newtire
11-18-2007, 12:13 PM
One of my goals, in my old age, is to be a good "wordsmith". I am SO sick of the word "tactical" that i nearly vomit every time I see it. I am however, waiting for the latest "tactical" finger nail clippers and the latest "tactical" toothbrush. That is about the only thing that "they" have missed.

I guess they wore out the phrases "World Class" & "Cutting Edge". Reminds me, gotta go grab me a Latte & some scones down at the cyberstop in the village. Looking out, I see the detailers have taken the Lexus in for it's monthly tidying up so will have to drive the Ranger. It's a big old wacky world huh?

9.3X62AL
11-18-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure which group I've found more irritating......the peace and surrender enthusiasts from the 1960's that persist to this day, or the mall ninja types, tactical toothbrush at the ready. Dead heat, I think.

Polymer hasn't made deep inroads into my pistol collection, but I am impressed by Glock pistols and their out-of-box reliability for the price they sell at. I have exactly one (1) such handgun to date, and considering that it took 26 years of Glock availability in the USA for me to finally buy one.......you could say that I'm slow to adapt. The new Ruger 9mm polymer critter might be the closest thing to an "attractive" plastic wunderpistole that has come along so far.

A polymer-framed revolver.........no, too tragic to consider. A bridge too far.

Skrenos
11-18-2007, 12:45 PM
I never cared for polymer pistols... but I do carry a Keltec P3AT. It's a wonderfully small pistol. It's a gun I carry more than I shoot.

smkummer
11-18-2007, 10:57 PM
How about just using the 30 carbine? A hot 32-20 would also work. It appears to have ballistics of the 7.62X25 Tok. round which would not work in a revolver. The fact that one can use low powered ammo would mainly appeal to non reloaders. 327? That was the engine in my first car-1968 Impala. Why not call it what it is a 312 magnum?

Mohillbilly
11-18-2007, 11:16 PM
I won,t bad mouth a glock it shoots good but I still don't own one.I did a few years back, buy a plastic Grendel made in Florida.30 rounds of 22 mag in a pistol, lots of fun...the 327? well I'll wait and see if brass is made availble......I'd want some of that brass just to make snake shot loads........As far as mall ninjia's I do it the old fastion way, instead of lasers,night sights,rails and other whiz-bangs stuff I am happy with my 3 bulldog/hound mixs and a 12 ga 870............

spurrit
11-19-2007, 01:57 AM
If i didn't hear about a Glock KB here locally every month or two, I'd be more interested in them. Imagine how many we DON'T hear about? BTW, the ones I've heard about had nothing to do with lead bullets.

Bret4207
11-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Dale- I knew we'd get along. The sad part is the image all the urban commandos (cammie underwear?!) and the belt keeper brigade (psuedo "LEOs"/tactical extreme gunfighters) leave to the general public. Just as the "news" never shows an articulate, well dressed gun owner, (they ALWAYS finds a "Buuba in Bibs" somehow), the sight of Joe Camoflage and Tactical Tim Thomas sends shivers up the spine of the average citizen. After seeing far too many overweight, shaved head, cammie clad types with multiple "Death Before Dishonor" type tats hanging around the gun book section at Borders, I can't say I blame them. It's about as likely to gain favor to our cause as David Duke is to gain support at an NAACP rally. They may be great guys, but you have to SELL ideas to the fence riders.

Jeeze, I'm a cynic.