PDA

View Full Version : How much lube?

aspangler
10-30-2013, 10:45 AM
I have never used the Maxi Ball before but a friend loaned me his 50 cal mold. I cast about 70 in pure lead and want to try them but am not sure how much lube to use on them. I have some that I mixed up from beeswax and Crisco with a smidgen of olive oil and it sticks to the boolits really well. If I have to fill the grooves all the way it is going to take a LOT of lube. Do I need to fill the grooves level or just put as much as I can in the grooves to get it to load and shoot OK.:?: Any help appreciated.

dondiego
10-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Just goop some into the large lube groove with your finger and see how they shoot.

fouronesix
10-30-2013, 11:19 AM
From my experience. The 50 cal Maxi can be very accurate and seems to do well in a 48" twist bore. After all- that was the original design/use for them in the T/C system.

FWIW. My most accurate combination using the 50 Maxi was not in faster 28-32" twist bores nor in 60+" twist bores. Standard T/C 48" twist seems best.

The most accurate load I found: Pure lead with full mold fill-out, sharp bands and sharp base. Clean between shots. Top band should engrave lands. Lube with Crisco, by finger, filling up most of the grooves evenly. 75-80 gr FFF real black. 50 cal over powder card (punched out of dense card of about .050" thickness) seated firmly on powder. Use short starter for Maxi then seat on card with firm even pressure for each shot. Regular #11 cap.

I prefer soft lubes. Think of the lube as a pressurized hydraulic cushion as the bullet is obturated and pushed down the bore during the firing. Hard lubes may be easier to handle or store, but I never found them to do as well for this type bullet lubrication job- namely BP loads or lower vel smokeless loads.

Boerrancher
11-04-2013, 10:13 PM
I have never fired a 50 Maxi, but shoot them out of my 32 cal. I use either bear grease/bees wax at 50/50 ratio, or deer fat and bees wax. I also must agree about keeping the lube soft. Mink oil will work well also. With the bear grease I have shot up to 20 times with out wiping. I use only real black powder mostly Goex or Wano. I don't loose any noticeable accuracy either. The 10th and 20th loaded as easily as the first.

Joe

John Allen
11-04-2013, 10:27 PM
A cheap lube that tends to work real well for me is Beewax/Olive Oil mixed to the texture you want. I also put a little lanolin in. The bees wax and lanolin is very affordable from Randyrat. The olive oil I buy at costco in a two pack. I made up a big batch and dumped it into two mason jars. I pan lube the left overs are stored in the pan I then just add extra as needed.

True.grit
11-04-2013, 11:58 PM
It is hard to beat Crisco, beeswax and olive oil. I does not get rancid, smells ok, and it softens up the fouling. I will never use anything else. Give it a try you will like it. It does not taste to bad ether. HA HA

tnpaw
11-05-2013, 12:05 AM
I haven't shot any MaxiBalls either! But I do mold the Lee R E A L in 250gr. Pan lubed with the same lube as I have made up for my 45/70, and pistol bullets! The mix is beeswax, parifin, Vaseline, and a little Johnson paste wax! I fill the bands! And load them over 80 grains of Pyrodex RS! Oh! I am shooting them in my old T/C Hawken in .45 cal! They shoot real good. !..... John