PDA

View Full Version : Lewis lead remover

like it all
10-30-2013, 10:33 AM
I was digging through my cleaning equipment yesterday and found my old Lewis lead remover. I haven't used it years, but wondered if it's still a wise thing to use on my pistols. This is an original with the square handle. There were a few of the brass screens left in 44 cal. Is this largely an obsolete tool, or can it still be useful. I was wondering if it could damage the bores of new guns. I also have the old forcing cone tip for it.:?:

Tatume
10-30-2013, 11:53 AM
If used correctly the Lewis Lead Remover will not damage your barrel and is very effective at its intended job. Brownells still sells them:

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=lewis+lead+remover&ksubmit=y

imashooter2
10-30-2013, 12:02 PM
I bought one used in spite of the many suggestions that I would be better served by the copper Chore Boy on an old bore brush method.

The tool works as advertised. It will not damage a bore when used as directed.

...And you will be better served with the copper Chore Boy on an old bore brush method.

DougGuy
10-30-2013, 12:33 PM
+1 on a few strands of Chore Boy wrapped around an old worn out brush. Lewis lead remover can't hang with it.

ROGER4314
10-30-2013, 01:31 PM
I have 2 of them....one for 38/357 and one for .45. Thanks for the tip on finding the screens!

Flash

like it all
10-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I used to use one extensively when I used a 45 Colt shooting production standing class in IHMSA. Those hot loaded 452424's used to leave a light smear in my Blackhawks bore. Ordered a bunch of screens for the 44 and 45 and 357. Plus they have a model now for my .40 and the .32 H&R. Good old Brownells, they usually have everything you need. Hell, there's even a you tube video on how to use one, just thought I'd take a refresher course.
I'm going to look into the "chore boy".

Joni Lynn
10-30-2013, 08:57 PM
I use one, no harm done to forcing cone or bore and it does the job well enough.

MtGun44
10-30-2013, 09:51 PM
I agree with Joni Lynn and others that like it.

Very effective. Back when I was learning, I needed and used it. I haven't cleaned lead out
of a barrel in at least 15 years, probably 20.

Bill

Larry Gibson
10-30-2013, 09:54 PM
I've had a 38, 41, 44 and 45 Lewis Lead Removers for many years. After testing loads with commercial bullets, which almost certainly lead the barrel to some extent, I always reach for the Lewis 1st thing when cleaning time comes. I have the bore brush and the chore boy but reach for the Lewis Lead Remover 1st because it always works quick and sure. I also take it to the range when testing such leading bullets to keep the leading down.

Larry Gibson

nickE10mm
11-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Copper Chore Boy.

Ghost101
11-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I have had a Lewis Lead remover for many yrs. and still use it to this day when needed. For me it is a lot faster to use then Chore Boy.

Ghost101

UNIQUEDOT
11-06-2013, 01:13 AM
I have had a Lewis Lead remover for many yrs. and still use it to this day when needed. For me it is a lot faster to use then Chore Boy.

It works better for me too. I bought a case of chore boy from a store that was going out of business for next to nothing, but when I need to get the lead out I always reach for the Lewis. I lucked up and got a deal on a lot of the brass screens from another member here the other day too.

like it all
11-06-2013, 09:56 AM
My Brownells order came in, on Friday, for screens for everything now. The original instructions are available on line under Lewis lead remover.

9.3X62AL
11-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Mtn Gun took the words out of my mouth. The Lewis Lead Remover does excellent work, and I still have mine in 38/357, 44, and 45 calibers. These have gotten most of their work in the 9mm caliber, though--as I negotiated the learning curve of cast boolits in that once-aggravating chambering. Copper Chore Boy strands on a played-out bore brush got traction and gained popularity after I got the leading monster largely subdued, but both the LLR and the CCB methods remain on deck in case of need.

Garyshome
11-06-2013, 11:09 AM
+2 on a few strands of Chore Boy wrapped around an old worn out brush. Use it all the time, works fast!

scattershot
11-06-2013, 12:01 PM
If you decide to use the Chore Boy, be sure to get the genuine article. There are knockoffs around that are copper plated steel, and I wouldn't want to use that in my bore.

DougGuy
11-08-2013, 04:07 PM
If you decide to use the Chore Boy, be sure to get the genuine article. There are knockoffs around that are copper plated steel, and I wouldn't want to use that in my bore.

Yep, you -really- got to read close and fine print too because most of those pads are copper plated steel! The reason Chore Boy is hard to find is that all the crackheads use it in their pipes so stores quit selling it because of that.

Last time I wanted some I hit 7 stores before I found some solid copper ones and by that time I was pissed and could have got it in a few days off ebay with a few mouse clicks, and would have STILL been cheaper than wasting gas and time. next time, ebay..

imashooter2
11-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Buy your Chore Boy by the case online. Believe it or not, it works great for scrubbing pots and pans too.

scattershot
11-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Buy your Chore Boy by the case online. Believe it or not, it works great for scrubbing pots and pans too.

Learn something new every day. Who'da thought?:kidding:

nickE10mm
11-08-2013, 05:44 PM
+2 on a few strands of Chore Boy wrapped around an old worn out brush. Use it all the time, works fast!

A FEW STRANDS???? I wrap enough on the old brush where its touch to push through the bore. That's more than a few strands.... ;-P

Airman Basic
11-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Bronze wool works as well, and you don't get the leftovers when you use scissors on them.

357mags
11-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Waste of money!

detox
11-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Belive it or not, 0000 fine steel wool wrapped around bronze wire bore brush will easily remove lead and polish bore without damaging. You can buy anywhere. I first clean bore with Hopp's solvent or Kroil. Then i scrub with the wool IF there is any leading.

I use a Hawkeye bore scope to inspect for leading...nearly impossible to see lead without. Especially in "cylinder's" forcing cone area, just ahead of case mouth. To remove lead in this area I use a large bronze wire bore brush, Hopp's or Kroil and hand drill.

Gas Check will prevent most leading

oldfart1956
11-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Love the Lewis Lead Remover. I keep one right in the range bag. While testing loads it's easy to drop the barrel out of the 1911 and run the tool thru to check on my progress. I just bought a set (.38/.44/.45) for my brother. Now here's some food for thought. Last time at the gun show I picked up a Hoppe's Lead Remover tool still in the original blister pack for $1. Yes...one dollar. This thing is identical to the Lewis and I sent an e-mail off to Hoppe's asking why they stopped making this. Perhaps if we send a few more e-mails we might encourage them to bring them back? Their website has a "contact us" button and you can send them an e-mail right from there. Mind ye there's nothing wrong with the Lewis but more options is better...right? Audie....the Oldfart..

Petrol & Powder
11-11-2013, 09:47 PM
I found one of those Hoppe's lead removers too. Yep, looks just like the Lewis but mine didn't come with the cleaning rod but any non-rotating rod will work. I got gouged, I think I paid $1.95 for mine.