PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Scales

bhn22
10-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Sometime back, I posted an RCBS electronic scale for sale in S&S, with the (honest) notation that fluorescent lights could drive it nuts. It sparked a bit of conversation that I thought we might expand upon a bit. I did sell the scale locally, and was honest with the buyer about its little boggle. I heard back from him a week later. He thought I was crazy, the scale wouldn't fluctuate for him at all. And he had fluorescent lights too.

Between the two of us we did some research and made some interesting discoveries. First of all, it isn't the light itself that caused fluctuations, its the starter in some cheap light fixtures. These starters can cause a current fluctuation which can affect the entire circuit. Higher end light fixtures, like those built into most houses don't fluctuate as bad as my $19.99 Menards cheapie. Many use real ballasts, which don't fluctuate much, if at all. I had my shop light and scale plugged into the same outlet.

If you're having similar issues, try moving the sale to a different circuit. This doesn't address the reports of cell phones and cordless phones causing issues, but it's at least a starting point for some of you.

codgerville@zianet.com
10-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Sometime back, I posted an RCBS electronic scale for sale in S&S, with the (honest) notation that fluorescent lights could drive it nuts. It sparked a bit of conversation that I thought we might expand upon a bit. I did sell the scale locally, and was honest with the buyer about its little boggle. I heard back from him a week later. He thought I was crazy, the scale wouldn't fluctuate for him at all. And he had fluorescent lights too.

Between the two of us we did some research and made some interesting discoveries. First of all, it isn't the light itself that caused fluctuations, its the starter in some cheap light fixtures. These starters can cause a current fluctuation which can affect the entire circuit. Higher end light fixtures, like those built into most houses don't fluctuate as bad as my $19.99 Menards cheapie. Many use real ballasts, which don't fluctuate much, if at all. I had my shop light and scale plugged into the same outlet.

If you're having similar issues, try moving the sale to a different circuit. This doesn't address the reports of cell phones and cordless phones causing issues, but it's at least a starting point for some of you.
Thank you, I think you have just given me a solution to a problem I've had with my Dillon electronic scale. I have fluorescent lighting in my reloading room, and I think that is the culprit. I've noticed that when I set up the scale, calibrate it, zero it, and watch it for a few minutes, it will fluctuate. That is, it will show zero, .002, -.001, .000, etc. And yes, the power source for the scale is using the same outlet as the light. The light is an old three tube adjustable desk light, one of the hummers. Will change things around. Thanks, Dan.