PDA

View Full Version : Winchester (Miroku) 1885 BPCR Rear Sight Questions

Wyoming Shooter
10-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Gentlemen - Thank you for your suggestions about CB loads for my new rifle. I've just returned from my first trip to the range with a couple of questions regarding the rear sight. First, the rear sight tips slightly forward after each shot. I need to return it to vertical before firing again. Is this normal? Second, the windage knob won't turn in either direction with hand pressure. I don't want to strip a screw by using a tool to twist the knob. Is this something I can fix by disassembling the sight or, would I be better off simply returning it to the factory? Thanks again for the benefit of your experience with these rifles. I now understand the addiction. ;) From the Big Empty, ELN.

longranger
10-30-2013, 10:05 AM
What sight are you playing with,vernier,soule, MVA.Kelley,Pedersoli ? have you tried loosening the eye cup when making adjustments ?
Are you wearing a hat with a bill on it that is hitting the staff during recoil ? otherwise it probably happening during recoil and is normal.If you find it bothersome you could possibly find a way to stiffen it up.

country gent
10-30-2013, 10:07 AM
You want the sight to tip forward when the rifle is fired. You need to be close to the rear sight to properly use the apeture. Your forehad ( or bill of your hat) is tipping the sight foreward. a fixed sight would make that a very tender spot after a few rounds.
On some sights the left side is a "lock" the right side makes the adjustment. Loosen left side a little and then make the adjustment tighten the left side to relock. Sort of like the older bar lock sights on garands. For elevation adjustments the eyepiece is usually the "lock" on it.
There should be a section in the owners manual covering this also.

Don McDowell
10-30-2013, 10:17 AM
It's normal for the rear sight staff to fall forward during recoil.
What type of rear sight are you using? Soule sights sometimes need to be oiled real well when they are new to turn freely. Vernier type sights with the windage on the eyecup either have a set screw or need to have the eyecup loosened to make any adjustments.

Wyoming Shooter
10-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Gentlemen - Thanks for the help, again. The rear sight is the factory version. The factory manual is found here: http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/1885manual.pdf. The manual mentions loosening the sight disc 1/2 turn before making vertical adjustments. I infer that it's not necessary when adjusting windage. The manual makes no mention of loosening the left windage screw. I will try that when I get back to my gun safe. Best regards from the Big Empty, ELN.

Gunlaker
10-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Yeah, there should be no need for loosening anything to adjust windage on the factory (AMT) sight. I have one and the windage works the same as on my other soule sights. With the exception that you have to turn counter clockwise to move the POI to the right rather than clockwise like my other soule's )

Chris.

EDG
11-04-2013, 07:37 PM
If mis-adjusted the windage will bind up. Try loosening the screw on the windage knob with a screw driver.

These guys made the sight and might be able to tell you how to get it unlocked.
Other than that you might try Browning for an owners manual.

http://www.advancemfgtech.com/gun_sight_specs.htm

Wyoming Shooter
11-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Thank you sir. I will try loosening the screw on the left side.

Wyoming Shooter
12-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Gentlemen: Here's an update. After all attempts to get the rear sight to adjust for windage, I packaged it up and sent it off.

11/12/13 - Rear sight (only) mailed to Winchester service center in Arnold, MO

12/19/13 - Postcard received from Browning with instructions on how to access status of service order at browning.com

12/22/13 - Current status "Firearm has been assigned to a gunsmith" "Est Completion Date 6 Jan 2014"

EDG
12-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Sorry about that.
I have locked up mine before. I think I loosened the screw and twisted the knobs in opposite directions. That was about 2008 so I do not remember the exact process but it is not all that difficult.

Wyoming Shooter
01-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Winchester returned the rear sight. Total time was about 9 weeks. It appears that Winchester replaced a couple of parts on the rear sight. A range session today confirmed that all is working properly. Thanks for the help. From the Big Empty, ELN.