PDA

View Full Version : Saddle ring for 1885?

oldred
10-30-2013, 08:00 AM
I am going to ask this here instead of the special projects section because you guys are the single shot affectionados, I have been building a scaled down 1885 Highwall that is nearing completion after sitting idle for nearly a year now. I am thinking of adding a saddle ring and possibly using a barrel band on the forearm, these are departures from the original design but this is a custom rig anyway. When I first started I got input here as to caliber and barrel type and I finally settled on a 22" round barrel in 22 magnum RF, still not decided on open sights, just a scope, or maybe both. Suggestions?

square butte
10-30-2013, 08:14 AM
There were original Winchester 1885 high and low wall saddle ring carbines made. You can confirm this in the Madis - Winchester book.Take a look at the Winchester/Miroku high wall saddle ring carbines in trapper format that are for sale at many Cabelas stores. You can see them at there Gun Library web site or on Gunbroker.. You can buy replacement saddle rings and saddle ring studs at Tapaderas Winchesters website. The new Miroku/Winchester 1885's are being made with studs instead of staples. Not sure which the original Winchesters used (studs or staples)

oldred
10-31-2013, 06:27 AM
I did an image search on that Trapper (don't know why I didn't think to ask Mr Google about this first!) and found quite a few images of the saddle ring rifles but I was kind of disappointed with the way they look. Don't know what I was expecting but to me somehow it looks sort of out of place on that short receiver so I suppose I will take a pass on doing that, of course that's strictly just a matter of taste to me. Except for the musket style which I don't care for I couldn't find any pics of an 1885 with a barrel band but I think a 92' Winchester type fore end and barrel band might be kind of neat -or not?