PDA

View Full Version : Bens Red down under

Driver man
10-30-2013, 04:32 AM
After reading all the threads on Bens Red i decided to make some up. I obtained all the ingredients exactly bar the johnsons paste wax. it turns out that it is no longer available in NZ. I sent Johnsons NZ an email and they replied that they no longer sell or make it here, I considered making it without the johnsons and a member here said he would send me some from the states if i wanted it but the cost was going to be prohibitive so i thought i would try and duplicate the wax. I succeded pretty close, tried it on the floor and even on the cars. I varied the amount of carnauba wax untill i got a really good hard finish and then i made my Bens Red. Well, my Bens Red looks like fudge and untill you smell it you would want to eat it. I will call this Bens Brown. Today i went to the range. I was testing a few loads and wanted to try the lube in a .308 rifle . I had 4 different loads 2 of which used my normal lube and two using the new lube. I only had the 50m range available so set up 4 targets and shot 4 groups. I am impressed . I am most impressed with an unchecked 210 grain boolit sized .309 driven by 10 grains of unique. With open sights i got a 3/4 inch group at 1340fps . no leading at all shiny bore ,happy shooter. Thanks Ben. I will switch over to this lube.

w5pv
10-30-2013, 05:40 AM
I hear good reports from Ben's Red,use it myself for all of my lube from handguns to rifles.Gas checked rifle up to about 2000 fps.

Ben
10-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Driver man ,

3/4 " at 50 sounds pretty impressive.
Yes, that carnauba wax added to your lube will really make that bore shine.

Color of your lube is inconsequential, your performance is another story. Sounds like you've got yourself some good lube.

Glad the lube is working well for you !

Ben