PDA

View Full Version : Check my thinking on this

William Yanda
10-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Fellow casters
I presently cast for my 1858 Pietta New Army Replica, and the conversion cylinder in .45 LC. I am thinking of adding a lever gun to my stable.
I suspect a rifle in .45 LC would be able to utilize a 300 grain bullet. With 16-20+ inches of barrel will a slower powder give better results? Thinking 2400 instead of Bullseye or Red Dot.
Lee's 2d Ed. lists heavier loads for modern pistols like the Contender in 45 Colt, but I am not familiar with the powders chosen.
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks
Bill

TXGunNut
10-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Any excuse for buying a levergun is valid, IMHO. My concern is that finding one load for both may be tricky. Is this revolver safe with anything above a BP equivalent load? My Win 94 Trapper will handle anything I care to shoot thru my RBH but that's not what you're asking.
Bump for a better answer.

William Yanda
10-30-2013, 08:28 AM
One load for both will not work. The conversion cylinder is limited to "Cowboy" loads, 850fps. I know the rifle will handle stouter loads. I am asking about powders appropriate for the longer barrel.
Thanks
Bill
'

starmac
10-30-2013, 12:55 PM
I can't help you on which powder. But I have recently picked up a 45 rifle, and since I don't see using it in any hunting application, I am thinking about just using black powder in it, just for fun.

TGM
10-30-2013, 01:44 PM
The Lyman 49th edition hand loading manual has data for 45 colt rifle loads. I use 231 or HP 38 for my cowboy loads in my Rossi 45 colt rifle.

TGM

John Allen
10-30-2013, 01:47 PM
The rifle load will be light but will work. You could of course go with 3F black in both and make some real smoke.

missionary5155
10-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Greetings
Have several caliber 45 Colt carbines. Powders like 2400 all the way to 1680 work great in the 20 inch barrels. It is rather easy to get 260 grainers cooking right along at 1700 fps plus. In a light 1892 round barrel you will know you just touched off a hard core thumper. Much slower powders take up too much room in the caliber 45 case and you start loosing velocity.
I also use Unique. Unique is a good mid speed powder and does not do badly in carbines. But get into 24 inchers and it starts to loose velocity.
Just be absolutely sure none of these loads get into that 1858. Those cylinder walls are Thin and would split wide open.
Mike in Peru

osteodoc08
10-31-2013, 10:59 AM
I would suggest a slower powder like 4227 or 296 if your looking for max velocity. You can get some impressive numbers with those powders in the right gun.

I've got a Smith 25MG, Rugers (BH and RH) and a Marlin in 45 Colt. My personal favorite is a mid level loading with HS-6 and the SAA-45-270 cast boolit. You can really run the numbers up for the Rugers and Marlin. I'd suggest you check out John Linebaughs thoughts on the 45LC in his gun notes section. It's a fine read.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

As a side note: as of late, I find using TrailBoss to make very kid and the recoil shy loading using some off the shelf Hornady 255gr "Cowboy" boolits very pleasurable from a plinking perspective. It will dirty up the guns since the pressure generated doesn't expand the cases that well, but that's a small price to pay to have the fiancé along.

Larry Gibson
10-31-2013, 11:23 AM
CAUTION

As mentioned if your loads are intended for both the handgun and the rifle that 1858 Pietta New Army Replica, and the conversion cylinder in .45 LC limits the loads to the low level 45 Colt pressures; 14000 psi or less. Cowboy action loads are the best place to look and Bullseye and Red Dot powders serve best there. That Pietta will not take the hotter loads you are looking at.

If you choose to load hotter for the rifle make sure the rounds are very distinctive such as a different bullet style, different make of cases, loaded in nickeled brass, etc. and that the container for such are very well marked.

Larry Gibson

William Yanda
10-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Thanks Larry and all
Already got some red nail polish to mark the hot loads. Segregating brass by headstamp is another good idea. I was already planning to use 300 grain boolits. Any excuse for another mold, right? Thanks too for the link-that's the kind of input I was looking for.
Bill

TXGunNut
10-31-2013, 11:14 PM
I use RP for all my BP loads, Starline for SP loads. A Sharpie works, tumbling takes it off.