PDA

View Full Version : need some input on 20 ga. full bore hollow base slug

jason f
10-29-2013, 08:32 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?218003-20-Ga-full-bore-HB-discussion-thread

cpileri
10-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Sir!
Actually, same question for both 12 and 20ga: can it be made w a flat base?

As for the rest fo the design, i looked over the pictures and I cant decide which nose design i like better.
In the 20ga, if the bearing surface is small, then they can be made w larger diameter; .624 or maybe a bit more. If the bearing surface is more, can they be cut to custom (user/buyer-specified), diameter?

What Imean is, in my own case, for the 20ga i would need to fit a .619 and .6225 bore; so a large as-cast slug that swages easily (i.e. small bearing surface) would work for both. Otherwise, if the bullet does not swage too easily, to avoid pressure spikes, i'd need 2 molds in specific diameters.

Dovetailing into the above re bearing surface, nice wide lube grooves also a plus (as they are, already in design specs).

C-

jmort
10-30-2013, 10:04 AM
People seem to want both flat pin and hollow base pin. Greg made some good points about not having a stepped-nose for a better transition in and out of the chamber. I like the non-stepped SFN ala LBT Short Flat Nose. As designed it should work smoothly working its way in and out of the chamber and down the barrel. Should be more aerodynamic, penetrate better and possibly be more accurate. The .54" meplat should do some serious damage. It should smoke anything on earth.

cpileri
10-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Greg's slug (Pics posted in multiple threads and smae as Turbo's design, here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?214680-10ga-foster-slug-mold-thoughts&p=2421489&viewfull=1#post2421489
-ignore the dimensions, just for nose profile purposes)
noses are all truncated cones, more or less. Now if he thinks the rounded edge type nose w the wiiiiiide meplat will enter the bore smoothly and straight, then i can go for that too. Otherwise, Greg's nose designs have worked so well for me I see no reason to change.
C-

jmort
10-30-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm really liking the non-stepped nose. What he discussed was entry into the chamber. All of the Dixie Slug designs had "smooth" noses. It just makes sense.

The proposed slug is much like the Terminator.