PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Guide Gun 45/70

Lefty Red
10-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Ok, looking at a Harvard CT made (used) SS Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70.

Its SS, non ported, and feels great and looks awesome. I do hate the cross bolt safety! Wouldn't want that going on SAFE when I had a charging Griz bearing down on me, but thankfull that odds of that happening in Southern Illinois is rarer than a full set of hen's teeth! :)

I would put a red dot on it or scope on it.

Question, would the shorter barrel "really" affect its range compared to a 32" H&R Buff Classic? I figured with the newer powders, a shorter barrel would be ok, especially with scope. Am I missing anything?

I always wanted a 45/70! And now i have a chance to do some late winter nuisance deer hunting on a couple of larger farms. They want me to use a firearm that can kill cleanly from 100-300 yards, not high velocity, and won't travel to the next county. I am thinking the 45/70 would fill all of this, but just checking. I can get the Marlin cheap! But could hold off and get the Cowboy or the H&R Buff Classic.

Also, held a Rossi Rio Grande in 45/70. It was used and had that stupid cross bolt safety. Felt good and is a possiblity as well.

Lefty

00buck
10-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I think if you push the safety to off you can put an O ring on the one side to hold it off. I think

thats a SASS trick.. so when you stage your rifle on a table it doesnt get pushed to on.

I think those ugly little safeties are dumb too

dubber123
10-30-2013, 02:12 AM
My brothers Guide Gun has been awesome, and seems to shoot everything well. My 1895 Cowboy has been a PITA and continues to be one.

Tatume
10-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Yes, you can put an O-ring in the red groove, but I've never had a problem with mine; just put it on "Fire" and forget it. Also, speeds are surprisingly high in the Guide Gun. You can easily achieve muzzle velocities that you won't want to shoot very often.

PbHurler
10-30-2013, 06:50 AM
"They want me to use a firearm that can kill cleanly from 100-300 yards, not high velocity, and won't travel to the next county."

Considering these requirements; Have you considered a trebuchet? :kidding:

btroj
10-30-2013, 07:01 AM
The guide gun will easily reach to 300, drop is the problem. You need to really know your drop tables and range well as at 200 to 300 yards a 45 cal bullet is dropping like a rock.
Look online at ballistics tables. Adding a few hundred fps doesn't change the table much, does it? Going to a lighter bullet doesn't help, you need the bullet weight for better downrange accuracy and penetration.

Load a 400 to 420 gr bullet and learn to shoot it. It will do anything that needs doing in the US.

I personally prefer the regular rifle over the guide gun, just me. If the gun looks right and is priced right then go for it.

gon2shoot
10-30-2013, 07:03 AM
The 45-70 should do everything you want......................but I would like to watch a casting session for the trebuchet.

Lefty Red
10-30-2013, 07:26 AM
"They want me to use a firearm that can kill cleanly from 100-300 yards, not high velocity, and won't travel to the next county."

Considering these requirements; Have you considered a trebuchet? :kidding:

Forgot to add I am hunting from a stand. :bigsmyl2:

Lefty Red
10-30-2013, 07:29 AM
I figured the drop after 200 would look like a rainbow! :)

W.R.Buchanan
10-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Lefty: get the Marlin quick before someone else sees it!

For shooting small deer, very light loads with 300 gr boolits will literally knock them off their feet. I don't see any reason for heavier loads for the game you are talking about.

In the .45-70, 400-425 gr Boolits have killed everything on Planet Earth.

120lb Deer aren't much of a threat, so I don't see the need for anything heavier than a light 300gr load for that usage.

The thing about the .45-70 cartridge is that it's personality can be altered dramatically by how you load it. Literally having various loads using two boolits of 300 and 400 gr you can cover anything in North America, and most everything everywhere else as well. It is one of the most versatile cartridges ever developed,,, and it's 140 years old this year!

With a Guide Gun Recoil with heavier loads will be really noticeable. It's pretty noticeable in a heavier rifle as well. This is why I recommend using lighter loads for your deer hunting. When you start talking 400 gr boolits at 1800 fps and above there is a significant price to pay on the back end. Guide Guns only weigh about 6 1/2 lbs. With the idea that they are easy to carry for long periods of time and you probably won't have to shoot more than once or twice to solve a problem, thus trading recoil for carry weight.

Really as far as the power needed for this cartridge to do it's job, in your case the question becomes how far into the dirt on the back side of the deer do you want the boolit to go? You should get full penetration at anything above 900 fps with either a 300 or 400 gr boolit. 1200 FPS with a 300 gr boolit is a pretty light load.

No need to bring a Tank to a Turkey Shoot.

This post should be in the Leverguns forum.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
10-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Lefty: get the Marlin quick before someone else sees it!

For shooting small deer, very light loads with 300 gr boolits will literally knock them off their feet. I don't see any reason for heavier loads for the game you are talking about.

In the .45-70, 400-425 gr Boolits have killed everything on Planet Earth.

120lb Deer aren't much of a threat, so I don't see the need for anything heavier than a light 300gr load for that usage.

The thing about the .45-70 cartridge is that it's personality can be altered dramatically by how you load it. Literally having various loads using two boolits of 300 and 400 gr you can cover anything in North America, and most everything everywhere else as well. It is one of the most versatile cartridges ever developed,,, and it's 140 years old this year!

With a Guide Gun Recoil with heavier loads will be really noticeable. It's pretty noticeable in a heavier rifle as well. This is why I recommend using lighter loads for your deer hunting. When you start talking 400 gr boolits at 1800 fps and above there is a significant price to pay on the back end. Guide Guns only weigh about 6 1/2 lbs. With the idea that they are easy to carry for long periods of time and you probably won't have to shoot more than once or twice to solve a problem, thus trading recoil for carry weight.

Really as far as the power needed for this cartridge to do it's job, in your case the question becomes how far into the dirt on the back side of the deer do you want the boolit to go? You should get full penetration at anything above 900 fps with either a 300 or 400 gr boolit. A 300 gr boolit at 1200 fps is a pretty light load that you should be able to shoot all day.

No need to bring a Tank to a Turkey Shoot.

This post should be in the Leverguns forum.

Randy

paul h
10-30-2013, 01:35 PM
If you're really looking for a 300 yd deer rifle, then the 45-70 is not the best choice. Yes, it'll kill deer out to 300 yds, but you'll need to use a laser rangefinder and run turrets on your scope or have some other sort of range compensation. If you want a 45-70, then nab it. But for your use, I think you'll find a 25-30 caliber bottle necked round with a muzzle velocity of 2700-3000 fps would be a much better choice.

Honestly I'd be more concerned with the damage from a 400 gr 45-70 round on a wayward journey past 300 yds than a frangable 100-150 gr jacketed bullet.

Dframe
10-30-2013, 01:37 PM
If you deceide NOT to get the guide gun please let me know........I'd take it in a heartbeat. And I'm up the road a piece near Springfield.

Lefty Red
10-30-2013, 02:16 PM
If you're really looking for a 300 yd deer rifle, then the 45-70 is not the best choice. Yes, it'll kill deer out to 300 yds, but you'll need to use a laser rangefinder and run turrets on your scope or have some other sort of range compensation. If you want a 45-70, then nab it. But for your use, I think you'll find a 25-30 caliber bottle necked round with a muzzle velocity of 2700-3000 fps would be a much better choice.

Honestly I'd be more concerned with the damage from a 400 gr 45-70 round on a wayward journey past 300 yds than a frangable 100-150 gr jacketed bullet.

Its want I am limited to by the landowner and that is what I will do. Sometimes we have to use what is not our first choice.

Randy, yes after searching some more I noticed a Levergun section AFTER I posted this here. Thanks for the info, the 300gr looks to be the ticket.

Lefty

Lefty Red
10-30-2013, 02:19 PM
And its in put back in layaway for me! :) I went today to pick up my 44sp Flattop and put the some cash down on it. Guess the new grips for the 44sp will have to wait. :)

Lefty

TheGrimReaper
10-30-2013, 04:02 PM
I LOVE my 1895 in 45-70. I use a LEE 405 gr boolit backed with IMR Trailboss. It wears a Nikon 2-7x32MM scope and is accurate.

Smoke4320
10-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Lefty red
You did good locking that one up.. The first deer you kill with your own cast and hand rolled load with bring a huge smile to your face

dmize
10-30-2013, 08:06 PM
I bought the first Guide Gun my LGS got,and I LOVE IT!!
I see one really big problem in what you are wanting,I.E. bullet drop.
I shoot Hornady 300 gr hp's out of mine, I reloaded mine for p.o.a. shooting with a scope out to 100 yards and ended up with an eye watering load,drops deer like the hammer of Thor but kicks like an SOB.
If you are a reloader all can be good,if you shoot factory loads I am afraid you are going to be disappointed,as in,with my experience sighting in at 100 and being several inches high at 50.
People have misconceptions about the 45-70 from the buffalo hunters and I have to agree with above poster paul,I would feel much safer with a 3,000fps 243 jacketed bullet hitting the ground than a 400 grain chunk of lead bouncing around at 1,800 fps

John Allen
10-30-2013, 08:12 PM
The 45/70 is such a versatile cartridge. You can get bullets from 300 to 550 grain. I have quite a few 45/70's and they are always the first gun I grab when I want to have some fun shooting. I even got a first year Douglass barrel marlin off the used rack at Cabelas for $450.00 it was like Christmas.

MtGun44
10-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Lost a shot at a really nice impala because the stupid crossbolt safety got kicked
on accidentally. Mine has a small o-ring in the groove now, keeping it in the OFF
position. I use the halfcock notch, and it works fine. That is the loudest click
you will ever see and the impala buck bolted at the sound.

Bill

Djones
10-31-2013, 06:40 AM
They sell safety delete kits. Buy that stainless guide gun!

http://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_93&product_id=224

detox
10-31-2013, 05:49 PM
The GG better have a recoil pad if you plan on loading it hotter to compensate for the shorter barrel. I have the older blued version GG with ported barrel/recoil pad and it feals like it kicks less than my standard Marlin lever 45/70 with longer barrel using same loads.

Hot heavy loads in the 45/70 will turn your shoulder purple.

Tatume
10-31-2013, 06:22 PM
The GG better have a recoil pad if you plan on loading it hotter to compensate for the shorter barrel. I have the older blued version GG with ported barrel/recoil pad and it feals like it kicks less than my standard Marlin lever 45/70 with longer barrel using same loads.

Hot heavy loads in the 45/70 will turn your shoulder purple.

My Guide Gun has a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad. It adds about 1/2" of length too, which helps me.

Lefty Red
10-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Its a done deal! :)

And picked up a Limbsaver today when I was out dividing up my paycheck to the LGSs. Maybe its a good thing I am single now, cause I think I would be very quickly. :)

gandydancer
10-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Harvard??? don't think so. New Haven? maybe or north Haven. Harvard is in Mass and believe me they don't make Rifles.

Ok, looking at a Harvard CT made (used) SS Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70.

Its SS, non ported, and feels great and looks awesome. I do hate the cross bolt safety! Wouldn't want that going on SAFE when I had a charging Griz bearing down on me, but thankfull that odds of that happening in Southern Illinois is rarer than a full set of hen's teeth! :)

I would put a red dot on it or scope on it.

Question, would the shorter barrel "really" affect its range compared to a 32" H&R Buff Classic? I figured with the newer powders, a shorter barrel would be ok, especially with scope. Am I missing anything?

I always wanted a 45/70! And now i have a chance to do some late winter nuisance deer hunting on a couple of larger farms. They want me to use a firearm that can kill cleanly from 100-300 yards, not high velocity, and won't travel to the next county. I am thinking the 45/70 would fill all of this, but just checking. I can get the Marlin cheap! But could hold off and get the Cowboy or the H&R Buff Classic.

Also, held a Rossi Rio Grande in 45/70. It was used and had that stupid cross bolt safety. Felt good and is a possiblity as well.

Lefty

starmac
11-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Harvard??? don't think so. New Haven? maybe or north Haven. Harvard is in Mass and believe me they don't make Rifles.

You sound pretty sure of that. lol

gandydancer
11-07-2013, 06:09 PM
You sound pretty sure of that. lol

Starmac.
At this point in my life I am not sure of anything. lol