PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I am just an old fart, but I don't get it.......

FISH4BUGS
10-29-2013, 06:27 PM
J-words? Boolits? Smoke pole? Revolter?
Come on guys (and ladies). I thought we were adults here. Kind of like saying "my pee pee" to my (then) 3 year old kids.
I don't get the "cutsie" terminology that many use. Jacketed is jacketed, cast is cast, a bullet is what comes out of the barrel.
Maybe I just don't have a sense of humor any more. I have had a long day....maybe that's it.
But help me out....can anyone rationally explain this to me?
Why do perfectly intelligent adults use cutsie terminology like this?
Go ahead....flame away.

johniv
10-29-2013, 06:40 PM
F4B, you have been a member here as long as I have, and you are just bringing this up NOW? I am usually a stickler for correct terminology, but using the term "boolits" on other forums elicits howls from the jerks that use terms like"packin pistols" I guess they think that it is ok to drop your "g" but not to misspell bullets. Anyhow, I kinda like it, and it gets me a few chuckles , I think you just had a long day, I suggest you relax , drink the juice of a half pint of bourbon .and take a short nap, you will be ok.
John

codgerville@zianet.com
10-29-2013, 06:40 PM
From another old fart. I AGREE WITH YOU!

firefly1957
10-29-2013, 06:48 PM
I am assuming that by the name of the forum they are keeping in line with the forum.

powderburnerr
10-29-2013, 06:48 PM
its like having a screen name as opposed to your given name . it sets the site apart from the run of the mill sites.

jmort
10-29-2013, 06:51 PM
"Maybe I am just an old fart, but I don't get it......."

I like jargon. "I get it."

smoked turkey
10-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Well there is a difference between a cast boolit and a jacketed bullet. I sort of like the nomenclature. I would rather make my boolits rather than buy them. I would rather shoot cast boolits than j-words. I enjoy the casting, reloading aspect of it as much as I do shooting. I like the "cast-speak" we use here. In fact I like everything about this site. I am not going to lobby for any changes that results in major changes like a name change. Of course that is just me. But in answer to your op, yes I think your comments about our site is a little off base. After all it is what we are and I wouldn't want to see it changed. You asked so that is my feelings.

WallyM3
10-29-2013, 07:13 PM
I just find it harmless fun...and I'm of a bit of of a :roll:

leeggen
10-29-2013, 07:37 PM
F4B must from the far Neast, and he has been here sense 2005, and has posted 854 times . Just now he is asking why Boolits and not (forgive me) jacketed bullits??? He has really had a long bad day!!!
The lingo and spelling sets us apart from all other web sights. As soon as you see Cast Boolits you know exactly where to go for great advice.
CD

paul h
10-29-2013, 07:49 PM
What I'd like to know is who was the first to coin the term boolit?

I generally don't care for cutsie terms, but I've see boolit for so many years now, close to 20?, it just doesn't phase me.

gandydancer
10-29-2013, 07:59 PM
who cares?

oneokie
10-29-2013, 08:02 PM
As explained by the site founder and owner:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?40260-What-is-a-quot-Boolit-quot

Bzcraig
10-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Potato......tomato.......as long as I understand and can communicate at the same level.....it's all good! And yes, I'm an oldfart, if 57 qualifies.

MtGun44
10-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Loosen up a bit and have some fun. Do you live in New York or New Jersey?

Bill

00buck
10-29-2013, 08:14 PM
ketchup.. catsup

mold.. mould

WallyM3
10-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Catch up? Mould is the female; mold is the product?

Recaster
10-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Why would you put catchup on your moldy product?

WallyM3
10-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Well....it would cover certain unappealing aspects of the product...particularly if'n we're talking eatables and potables.

But that's just me.

brtelec
10-29-2013, 08:54 PM
I know what you mean, being an old fart myself. I just ignore it for the most part, but some of them actually grate on me. I hate the term "Remmy" in reference to a Remington rifle.

jaystuw
10-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Several early join date members on this thread, a long time to be on a website. Seemed A little less hard edged and political back then. But I guess that is to be expected, a sign of the times. jay

WallyM3
10-29-2013, 09:09 PM
If you put the two closest and best friends in the world on a desert island for long enough, they'll try and kill each other.

I do have to confess that I only use abbreviations (basically short hand) for manufacturers' names. Not sure why, except some kind of nod to their success and endurance. I'm not entirely sure that I could start, operate and perpetuate...oh, say...a company like Winchester.

Or Colt.

Or S&W.

But, then again, I never tried.

runfiverun
10-29-2013, 10:19 PM
boolit = cast
bullet = copper wrapped.
it separates the two when discussing load data.
or it does to me when some one throws out the number 90382 and needs data.

Garyshome
10-29-2013, 10:27 PM
I like Boolits! It's fun.

Mk42gunner
10-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Boolits I can live with, and I generally at least try to use the correct name for things. Head, tip and pill when used to reference a projectile do not seem right at all.

The ones that really grate on me are Remmy, Winnie, and shotty.

Robert

TXGunNut
10-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Been a crappy day here, too. Came home, loaded a few boolits, read about boolits, drank a few glasses of wine and I'm headed for bed. Couldn't ask for anything more. Tomorrow will be better. If not I have more wine and I'll have several hundred unread posts.

BNE
10-29-2013, 11:20 PM
As a "new kid", the teminology has confused me a few times, but overall, this site is GREAT.

Win94ae
10-30-2013, 12:16 AM
When I first started posting here I used the "boolit" word but I got tired of correcting myself so now I simply type in English.
But I also figured that when people search the WWW to find information on using cast bullets, they might not get most useful information, if the most informative post didn't contain the word "bullet." :/

waksupi
10-30-2013, 12:30 AM
When I first started posting here I used the "boolit" word but I got tired of correcting myself so now I simply type in English.
But I also figured that when people search the WWW to find information on using cast bullets, they might not get most useful information, if the most informative post didn't contain the word "bullet." :/

Try doing a search for anything cast bullet related, and see where you are directed! :holysheep

Lead Fred
10-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Jargon drives the libtards crazy

wallenba
10-30-2013, 01:08 AM
J's...= less typing. I like it. :)

Ajax
10-30-2013, 05:30 AM
I like the term Boolits but remmy shotty and those annoying terms like that i just ignore. Every generation has their own terminology some is picked up by their elders some aren't. I for one don't care what you use as terminology as long as i can figure it out. lol

Andy

Driver man
10-30-2013, 06:05 AM
The grand think about the english language is its adaptability, We take and change words from all languages, we change alter and shape words to fit the needs of our expressive culture , we invent words and we stop using words . Our language evolves. The youth of this generation use a language I dont comprehend but has a richness and texture that they use to express themselves just like my generation did and just like the one before and befor that. Maybe the word boolit will join the lexicon of our word stock. Why not, it expresses a complete meaning to me , completely descriptive and distinct. I like it. The guardians of our language ,those that resist change, provide the brakes that slow the too rapid devolution of our language and forums like this are the better for it. It works both ways.

rattletrap1970
10-30-2013, 06:21 AM
boolit = cast
bullet = copper wrapped.
it separates the two when discussing load data.
or it does to me when some one throws out the number 90382 and needs data.

That's the way I understood it.

captaint
10-30-2013, 07:10 AM
I can live with boolits. I even enjoy it. I use it on other sites so people know where my loyalties lie. Veral sees no humor in boolits, though. Now, pills - that one bugs me. It shouldn't, but it does. Mike

Bret4207
10-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Pills gets me but not as much as heads. Heads are clear on the other end of the cartridge case. What surprises me is that it took 7 years before you complained.

Lance Boyle
10-30-2013, 08:54 AM
From another old fart. I AGREE WITH YOU!

Hi Bret!

my sentiments too, I live with boolits as it's a site thing. When in Rome and all that.

The other things that I see creeping [flowing more like it] into internet gunboards; tips, heads, pills, caps and more. I cringe when I see these in reloading boards sections. Makes me feel like I'm talking with a wingnut or a teenager.

Andy, the shotty one is like an mental ice pick to me too.

Is it something to mount a campaign against? It's probably not worth the effort.

William Yanda
10-30-2013, 09:15 AM
"Jacketed is jacketed, cast is cast, a bullet is what comes out of the barrel."
You get it alright. Admit it. You just don't like it.
Sounds like a personal problem.
Get a straw and suck it up, else I'll have to put you on my ignore list.

Four-Sixty
10-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Modifying the use of words is the essense of the English language. Spend some time looking at the Oxford English Dictionary to see how contexts change over time. We have 26 letters in our alphabet. We have millions of people using the language. It is only inevitable that we will run out of words to use. We have to use context to capture new ideas. We are limited to the number of words we can put together to describe things.

Context can convey nuances that can't be captured otherwise, unless you want to type out paragraphs to explain every darn thing. Slang is a shortcut and saves everyone time. Especially on text base forums where miscommunication is easy to do.

GT27
10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Just about everything in the Air Force had a abbreviation,didn't matter if it worked or not as long as it was clean,painted and looked good...[smilie=b:

KCSO
10-30-2013, 11:52 AM
There is one thing hand about it, if you are on a strange computer and type in boolit you come right here.

Win94ae
10-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Try doing a search for anything cast bullet related, and see where you are directed! :holysheep

I did when I first decided to cast my own bullets, took about two weeks to find this site; then it took about a month to figure out how to search for the most useful information.

Just because the site may popup on Google does not mean the "most useful information" will be listed. [smilie=b:

1Shirt
10-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Who cares any how??????
1Shirt!

1bluehorse
10-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Potato......tomato.......as long as I understand and can communicate at the same level.....it's all good! And yes, I'm an oldfart, if 57 qualifies.

tater....... mater........SOME of the now-a-days terms bug me a bit, as in, pill, head, cap, jaxeted, j-words, condom bullets, (it's a jacketed bullet) and a few others...boolits, naw, that doesn't bother me (see, I used "naw") and no, 57 doesn't qualify you for "old fart" status....:smile: I think you should be at least 65 to reach that pinnacle...:-P I'm beyond that point....you younger fella's need to give us "older" gentlemen a bit of a break...you'll find out why soon enough .....:-(

jcwit
10-30-2013, 12:39 PM
I just do not let small things such as this bother me as long as I know what is being said/ment.

To me it's like making a big deal as to whether it's a clip or a magazine.

bikerbeans
10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
what's a boolit?;)

BB

plmitch
10-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Who cares any how??????
1Shirt!

Well played Sir.

flounderman
10-30-2013, 01:00 PM
I thought a lot of it was they didn't know how to spell or select the proper word.

FISH4BUGS
10-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Loosen up a bit and have some fun. Do you live in New York or New Jersey?

Bill

Well, I DID live at Fort Leavenworth and Leavenworth (AT, not IN) for many years, graduated from Leavenworth High School in 1966 (yes I qualify for old fart status and medicare) and went to Kansas State in Manhattan, but I am in NH and have been for 40 years.
Interesting responses. I still don't care for the cutsie terminolgy but hey....it is the information contained in this site, and the enormous experience of its members that is more important, not the terminology. The question was asked out of curiosity more than anything.
Yes, I have been here for 8 years and have learned an enormous amount. I also have become a Hensley & Gibbs collector (thanks Tom!). Now...if only I could master the Star sizer.....
And to that wonderful person that wanted to set me on ignore simply because I dared asked the question, I beat you to it!

fishhawk
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM
geee I wish I could use the "ignore" oh well guess that's just the way it is. No one is going to be satisfied all the time.

Smoke4320
10-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Do you have any natural deposits of Pb in NH?
Peanut butter is native to Georgia :) :) and how would you know he has nice hands :) :)

sparky45
10-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Hey F4B; you've earned the right to think and say what you want. Carry on.

btroj
10-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Isn't "old fart" a cutsie way of saying geriatric?

If this is the biggest challenge you face each day then count your blessings, I wish I had it so tough......

white eagle
10-30-2013, 06:28 PM
I know what you mean, being an old fart myself. I just ignore it for the most part, but some of them actually grate on me. I hate the term "Remmy" in reference to a Remington rifle.
Is that like winny for winchester hardware

brtelec
10-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Is that like winny for winchester hardware

Yeah, I hate that one too.

brtelec
10-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Now clip and magazine is a different story altogether. It does not bother me when I hear this used improperly. I blame movies and television for this.

MtGun44
10-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Just that folks in the NE seem to be wound pretty tight sometimes. I spent a lot of
time in the south and midwest - folks are generally a good bit more laid back out here in
"fly over country". :bigsmyl2:

Bill

WallyM3
10-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Guess you ain't bin tah Vehmont.

Bzcraig
10-31-2013, 12:49 AM
I did when I first decided to cast my own bullets, took about two weeks to find this site; then it took about a month to figure out how to search for the most useful information.

Just because the site may popup on Google does not mean the "most useful information" will be listed. [smilie=b:

Doesn't sound like you are too happy with this site?

Bzcraig
10-31-2013, 12:53 AM
tater....... mater........SOME of the now-a-days terms bug me a bit, as in, pill, head, cap, jaxeted, j-words, condom bullets, (it's a jacketed bullet) and a few others...boolits, naw, that doesn't bother me (see, I used "naw") and no, 57 doesn't qualify you for "old fart" status....:smile: I think you should be at least 65 to reach that pinnacle...:-P I'm beyond that point....you younger fella's need to give us "older" gentlemen a bit of a break...you'll find out why soon enough .....:-(

All righty then OF..........consider yourself a broked given:p:-P

btroj
10-31-2013, 06:53 AM
Just that folks in the NE seem to be wound pretty tight sometimes. I spent a lot of
time in the south and midwest - folks are generally a good bit more laid back out here in
"fly over country". :bigsmyl2:

Bill

Ain't that the truth Bill!

People out here in the plains states tend to be pretty laid back, honest, hard working folks. We don't have time to think of trivial things like this, too busy taking care of business or the family.

Great place to live.

Bret4207
10-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Hi Bret!

my sentiments too, I live with boolits as it's a site thing. When in Rome and all that.

The other things that I see creeping [flowing more like it] into internet gunboards; tips, heads, pills, caps and more. I cringe when I see these in reloading boards sections. Makes me feel like I'm talking with a wingnut or a teenager.

Is it something to mount a campaign against? It's probably not worth the effort.

Hey Tom! Nice to know you're still around.

missionary5155
10-31-2013, 08:05 AM
Good morning
Diversity is what made America great. Individuals being who they are.. not what society could form them into. Fortunately for all of us the Constitution of these United States garentees that we can be individuals.
I have the highest respect for individuals who are better at "crossing T's and dotting I's" than I can. Gramatical perfection is great. But then I also have the highest respect for not so well schooled or grammered individuals that are the hard labor force that keeps this fair country of ours moving forward.
I am near 63. I took an oath in 1971 to defend the Rights of all Americans whether they are gramaticly correct or not. If my American brother wants to write in gibberish and be misunderstood that is his right. If my other American brother wants to be so precise with words it hurts my head, so be it. This diversity of free personal expression within the bounds of our beloved Constitution is what keeps us unique from the "one world robot dead minded blockheads" that feel they are the epitomy of correctness.
Throughout history new words have been framed to express a point of view. Boolits and J words (I personally like "J thangs" ) do so. Immediate distinction between two unlike objects.
Divided we have no future. But realising the uniqueness of this place and striving for the perfection of our unity although diversly individualistic, we are unconquerable.
Mike in Peru

blackthorn
10-31-2013, 01:21 PM
I just do not let small things such as this bother me as long as I know what is being said/ment.

To me it's like making a big deal as to whether it's a clip or a magazine.

This ^^^^^^

wallenba
11-02-2013, 12:27 AM
A lot of the phrases coined are descriptive, self explaining. I like, slide bite, M1 thumb, Searschester etc. .

mikeym1a
11-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Yes, you're an old fart. And a picky one. Go, relax, have an adult beverage of your choice. Take a nap. Awake refreshed and have a pleasant day................:-D

WallyM3
11-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Totally, dude.

(OK, I hate it, too.)

FISH4BUGS
11-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Well.....OK. I guess some people just don't want to be asked. Reading through these responses makes me wonder about the tolerance of some of these posters. I was trying to uderstand why some people use these kinds of terms, particularly as adults. OK....each area has its own jargon. I'll buy that. The answer for me (or anyone that finds it a bit childish) is simply to not use the jargon. Fine. I get it.
I am a member of many other Internet Boards, and don't find that same idiosyncrasy. For instance, as a machine gun collector, I don't find the machine gun boards using jargon other than the normal nomenclature of the gun, i.e. MP5, MG42, M60, MAC11A1, etc. I don't find members referring to a Winny BAR, or a Remmy anything.
Not a bad thing. Don't misunderstand me. Just different, that's all. I was trying to understand the differences in the use of jargon. That apprently is too much for some posters to even ask.
Oh well....another of life's unsolved mysteries.

bearcove
11-03-2013, 12:23 PM
I think its great! A quick way to tell who you are talking too. Good info.

Hardcast416taylor
11-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I agree! Why the need for "fraternity house terms"? I cut my teeth shooting a "thutty-thutty" and everybody knew what I was talking about. Nowadays it must be a '.30-30 Winchester center fire cartridge" you are talking about. I`ve been around the block and I`ve been to see the `bar! I guess I should have been done away with a few generations ago when I started having trouble understanding people!Robert

cbrick
11-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I live with boolits as it's a site thing. When in Rome and all that.

My sentiments exactly! Makes me think not so much of a teenager but of someone that really has no clue what he is talking about and feels a deep need to sound like he's in the know, most times I'll just move on to the next thread and not bother.

As for me, I never ever shoot prescription medications.

Rick

Rick