PDA

View Full Version : 2013 summer is over. What did you learn from castboolits.com?

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Usually, my year always goes through the same cycles. I crawl out of hibernation in march, and start finding things to learn. This works really well, because I usually have a tax return with which to set myself up with an interesting summer of experimentation and learning.
Then, about this time of year till February is spent proving the conclusions that I came to by flying boolits through deer, and putting equipment to the ultimate test.

Castboolits.com has been instrumental in my education every year, and that's why I keep coming back all the time.

What have you learned here this year? What aha! moments have you had? What have you learned from the people here this summer that changed the way you look at firearms, the shooting sports, or life?

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Personally, this was a big summer for me, and I learned quite a bit.

I bought the hot bluing tanks with my tax return, selling everything that wasn't tied down, and generous donations from people that believe in me.
Cast boolits was a source of more education on this process than any other.

I learned about rifling twist, I learned about hardness testing, I learned about more gun designs than I ever thought I could get into my head, I learned that Ruger is the best manufacturer in the US, I learned some about neck fit, I learned some about RPM limits, I learned how to checker gunstocks, I learned how to bed a rifle (I only thought I knew before), I learned a lot about building Mausers in magnum calibers.

Like I said, it was a big year, and my head is about as full as it's ever been.

Fess up, what did you get out of this summer?

s mac
10-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Besides a great deal of info about boolits, and loading such just an idea of how many good Godfearing like minded indivuals there are out there in this great country. MAY God bless us again.

Love Life
10-29-2013, 05:58 PM
I learned that a Nissan Frontier can traverse a 45 degree grade while going 55 MPH without rolling over...

firefly1957
10-29-2013, 06:34 PM
The most useful thing i learned was that powder coating cast lead bullets perform very well. I have even swaged some of them with great results.

Sweetpea
10-29-2013, 07:36 PM
I learned that a Nissan Frontier can traverse a 45 degree grade while going 55 MPH without rolling over...

Dick, how scientific was your testing?

It needs to be repeatable to be fact...

How many more times you gonna try it?:popcorn:

ultramag
10-29-2013, 07:40 PM
I don't know how to even begin to answer this question this year. I've essentially learned everything I know about casting and loading cast here, and I've learned a LOT since I signed up late last year. I still probably don't know squat compared to some of the members here who freely share info learned through years of experience. I had loaded for almost 25 years, but somehow never loaded a cast boolit. I just never thought of it I don't guess.

I guess for this year I'll go with....unless you want your life turned upside down and all your free time and money consumed with buying molds and lead, casting, loading, and shooting cast boolits do NOT answer a seemingly harmless PM on another forum from JonB_in_Glencoe about some .454 Casull brass you're looking for. Yep, that's the answer I'm going with.

I can't wait to see what the next year brings and am looking forward to expanding the operation even more. Hope to tackle casting and loading cast for at least a couple of the rifles next year. A big thank you to all the experienced members who teach and offer encouragement to us new guys.

unclogum bill
10-29-2013, 10:25 PM
l learned that an old gun barely able to hit the target, can be made to preform by casting oversized and putting the right powder behind it. I got the advise needed here and it was spot on. Now I wish I still had some of the guns I traded off that did that. I could have, should have kept them. Thankyou, to all the experts that help here.

runfiverun
10-29-2013, 10:28 PM
I learned how to work a boolit designing program, and actually get numbers to show up on it.
[woo hoo]
I almost figured out how to get the pictures from the zip file [which I figured out on my own] I created to the picture library on the computer, to photo bucket.
but I can get them onto the computer, and from photo bucket into a p.m. or a thread.

Garyshome
10-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Wayyy to much to type, I'm a lousy typer.

foesgth
10-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Wow, what a question. I finally learned how to properly flux lead. I learned there is still an America out there. And I learned that I probably don't like whomever it was that POed Jim. I miss my Floyd updates.

wgr
10-29-2013, 11:04 PM
how to spend money. so i can shoot cheaper:bigsmyl2:

country gent
10-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Ive learned what a great bunch of people are here and willing to share thier experiences knowledge when asked. Ive made many new freinds here and wish them all the best anda Thank-you to all for the information and help

btroj
10-29-2013, 11:24 PM
I learned that testing lube formulas a takes a huge amount of time and effort. I learned that while they are awesome guys you should NEVER let Run and Gear lead you down that path, no matter how sincere they sound.
Lube testing also reminded me that I have a very patient wife and a daughter who thought it was cool.
I learned that no site has as good a crowd as this one!

I learned that coating bullets in things other than 45-45-10 has merit and works great in handguns.

I met a new guy from the site and learned that mining the berm is an obsession best not passed on to others- their spouse may not appreciate lists of date and pounds collected. Not everyone appreciates obsession. Go figure.

Ultimately I learned that I have a few genuine friends here. Guys I would like to meet in person.

It has been a great year on the whole.

geargnasher
10-29-2013, 11:34 PM
This summer I learned, for the third time in 20 years, the virtues of being a selective hoarder.

ETA: Brad, I'm sure there are a few who, if your wife met, would need to be introduced under an alias for their own protection. :p

Gear

Love Life
10-29-2013, 11:40 PM
^^Amen.

I learned many things from this forum this year.

1. I'm not always right.
2. This is a great group of people, and I'd love to take many of them coyote hunting and to see the wonders of the Sierras.
3. R5R's case lube is amazing. Good for the skin as well.
4. Cherish life and family as you never know when you will be called home.

As for firearms:
1. I learned that I have a lot to learn.

Casting:
1. A bunch. I even had a 10mm remind me on why fit is king.

I learned about coating bullets and I am immensely grateful for that. It's so clean.

captaint
10-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Let's see... I learned that chemotherapy really sucks. That aside, I confirmed that if we read enough right here, we don't have to ask too many questions. I also learned that failing to smelt all the WW's really tends to take away my space for my stuff. Mike

MBTcustom
10-30-2013, 08:27 AM
I just remembered another big one. In the course of my duties as moderator, I needed to clean up the stickies in all the sections. Whilst rearranging them to their proper places, I read quite a few of them, and was shocked at the knowledge contained in there.

I also found out that the "Classics and Stickies" section is not just a compilation of all the stickies at the tops of the sections, but is a whole pile of special information, most of which was hand picked by Ken (45nut) himself.

I read most of them and while a good portion of that information went in one ear and out the other, I can tell you that if you actually read the stickies and apply what you see, you will be head and shoulders above most of the casters on this board, and you will be able to understand much of the advanced topics being discussed here.

Most folks never set foot in the Classics and Stickies section and they do themselves a huge disservice. There is information there for everyone from the brand new caster, to the seasoned veteran.

Another thing I learned about is neck tension and the fit of the neck in the chamber, as well as concentricity of the boolit in the neck of the casing, along with making sure the boolit is seated straight in the neck, has a direct effect on accuracy of the cast lead boolit in rifle cartridges. Good stuff!

Janoosh
10-30-2013, 10:00 AM
What I learned this year at Cast Boolits is that a...good...custom mould is worth every penny...Thanks NOE!!
Also...Leementing..It works!!!
Read the Sticky's....that helped me with two other finicky moulds.
And that there are a lot of helpful people at this site, including the barkers and biters!

DeanWinchester
10-30-2013, 10:03 AM
I learned the same thing I learned last year. I don't have near enough money to cover my wants. Reading posts here is like pouring Nitromethane on the flames of wants. I actually find myself purposefully NOT reading some threads for fear of trying to take on a new project.

Smoke4320
10-30-2013, 10:29 AM
I learned everything I had ever been told about shooting cast bullets was totally WRONG !!!
This site has opened my eyes to a new way of thinking, a new hobby... casting and powder coating
for which I am grateful

dragon813gt
10-30-2013, 10:50 AM
To much to list. The one topic that stands out is the copper alloy thread. The chemistry in that thread amazes me. I know I spent some time reading the thread about making your own priming compound. But the one thing I really use pertains to fast powders in rifles. Nothing beats shooting my 308 w/ a small charge of W231.

Pb2au
10-30-2013, 12:34 PM
I learned that 2400 powder is amazing. It is made from magic, unicorn horns, and the blood of giants.
I learned a massive amount of info on the subject of boolit fit.
I learned a ton about cast in rifles.
I learned that I have a lot more to learn.

ballistim
10-30-2013, 03:06 PM
I learned how to flux with sawdust, to cast with & appreciate quality made MP brass & NOE aluminum molds. I learned that I can empty my wallet in no time flat with all the great group buys and the swapping available. I learned a lot from all of the experienced casters here on this forum.. and oh yeah.. I learned to call cast projectiles "boolits" ;-)

MBTcustom
10-30-2013, 03:59 PM
I learned that 2400 powder is amazing. It is made from magic, unicorn horns, and the blood of giants.
I learned a massive amount of info on the subject of boolit fit.
I learned a ton about cast in rifles.
I learned that I have a lot more to learn.

I got a similar lesson myself. Never used 2400 till this year. Really awesome stuff!

I'll tell you one thing that I learned right good and well, and that's about online character. Some people are solid gold, and others are complete mongrels. If they are the latter, then they won't last long here, and for that I am grateful.
Most here would give the shirt off their back to help a stranger.
I found out this year that people are much better and worse, than I ever imagined, and people in both camps have people that follow them. However, it's wonderful to see a good man who does the right thing no matter who follows or opposes him. I've seen both this year. It's been educational!

runfiverun
10-30-2013, 04:01 PM
do I need to apologize to anybody else about to post in this thread ?
or just to brad's wife :lol:
Ian's too maybe,,,,, I guess,,,, if I have to. [smilie=1:

starmac
10-30-2013, 04:24 PM
I learned that belonging to this sight can get spendy. lol Actually learned way to much to even start listing them, but then I am somewhat of a rookie compared to the wealth of knowledge on here.

I have also learned there are some great folks on this sight as I have seen them step up and help several through some bad times.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-30-2013, 05:29 PM
What have you learned here this year? What aha! moments have you had? What have you learned from the people here this summer that changed the way you look at firearms, the shooting sports, or life?

Many things on this list...But lets just talk about a couple.

1. The crisis that Obama tried to take advantage of, that turned into the craziness of the gun, ammo, and reloading market. We did this to ourselves (I include myself), I hope it doesn't wreck our hobby, even for one person. It seems many of us here were mentoring a Newbie this year. I cannot count how many e-mails I sent back and forth with a new reloader (not a member here, he is in my local Homebrew club and he is a caster, while not boolits, he has cast toy soldiers). It was very difficult for him to obtain, at a reasonable price, the necessities to reload for his son's and his own shooting. His son is at that elementary school age where guns and hunting is just magical fun. How fortunate this son is, to have a father that had put all that aside many years ago and now taking it back up, so as to teach him. My words are kind of wandering here and really can't pin down exactly what point I learned, other than just how important it is to train our younger generation in our hobby, so as to NOT lose it...and that is worth more than a few extra dollars in my pocket by attempting to profit from the Obama craziness.

2. Not nearly as grand as #1. I learned a beautiful custom brass boolit mold are better off with some ugly patina on them to help them function better, than a clean, shiney, untarnished, "brand new" look.

Thanks for this thread goodsteel, it's good to look back a bit to see where we came from.
Jon

joesig
10-30-2013, 05:50 PM
NOE makes some nice molds.
The 221 Fireball with the above mold is scary accurate.
The 358 Win is a keeper.
The 44 Mag with 296 is worth a look vs 2400.
I'll never have enough time or lead to enjoy the above.
There are a lot of generous people on this forum.

MBTcustom
10-30-2013, 05:57 PM
, it's good to look back a bit to see where we came from.
Jon

Couldn't agree more. Usually at this time of year, my trance is broken by deer season. Everything I was working on is going to have to be good enough to slap meat on mommas table. I usually put my press away for a month or two, and roll with what I've got. Now, this year is different, and I don't have much of a chance to get out of the shop and hunt, but I still find myself stepping back and taking stock of the years progress. I'm here to tell you, there is a lot of dad gum water under the bridge since last spring!

Only thing is, I have been so wrapped up in my own pursuits, I haven't been able to follow anybody else's throughout the year, and that bugs me. (although I remember Smoke4320 getting that lightbulb moment, and I enjoyed it very much! Good on ya!)

I was hoping that you could catch me up on the best things that you learned this year!
What awesome conversations did I miss out on?
Did you find out that fit is king?
Did you make your first lube?
Did you get zinc in your melt? (Another first for me this year)
Tell me about it!
You newbies, jump in here! Don't be shy!

btroj
10-30-2013, 06:00 PM
do I need to apologize to anybody else about to post in this thread ?
or just to brad's wife :lol:
Ian's too maybe,,,,, I guess,,,, if I have to. [smilie=1:

Lamar, you are safe. Her bark is worse than her bite. She actually finds it amusing that I spend hours each week talking to grown men about lubricants. Yeah, she chuckles at that.

Guys, 2400 has long been my go to powder with cast bullets. Not the top for velocity but for good accuracy in a bottleneck case in the 1600 to 1750 fps range it is often about as good as it gets. It isn't by accident that I brought home 16 pounds of it this past winter.

marvelshooter
10-30-2013, 06:14 PM
I learned how to make Ben's Red. I learned that 4-d reamer rental has .38-55 chamber reamer that now lets me load a cartridge with a boolit large enough to seal the bore and shoot well. I learned how to load black powder in a cartridge. I found a good load for the '03A3 that followed me home. I got the info I needed to start swaging my own .224 boolits from fired .22's. I am sure there is more but I don't want to further bore those who have read this post this far. Has anybody?

DougGuy
10-30-2013, 06:24 PM
I learned about alloys and that harder is not always better. I learned enough about cylinder throat, boolit, barrel dimensions to formulate a sense of correctness when choosing and sizing these things so they work really well together, now my SBH is a tack driver with Lee 310gr RF boolits, which I also learned about here this year.. Oh.. And I already knew about 2400 :bigsmyl2:

dragon813gt
10-30-2013, 08:26 PM
This year was the first time I ordered molds(yes I mean plural) for a caliber I don't own a firearm in. Why I have two 22 caliber molds, a Freechex III and ten thirty round Pmags is beyond me. I think I want a bolt action more than an AR which has prevented me from making any purchases. I usually buy tooling before the firearm but I went overboard this year.

MBTcustom
10-30-2013, 08:40 PM
This year was the first time I ordered molds(yes I mean plural) for a caliber I don't own a firearm in. Why I have two 22 caliber molds, a Freechex III and ten thirty round Pmags is beyond me. I think I want a bolt action more than an AR which has prevented me from making any purchases. I usually buy tooling before the firearm but I went overboard this year.

Around here, we call that "faith in action" (as it pertains to boolitry).

geargnasher
10-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Another thing I learned about is neck tension and the fit of the neck in the chamber, as well as concentricity of the boolit in the neck of the casing, along with making sure the boolit is seated straight in the neck, has a direct effect on accuracy of the cast lead boolit in rifle cartridges. Good stuff!

Say it ain't so.

Did you learn any of this year's new, highly-technical terms like "smearability", "extended phase transition", "middle modifier", or C.O.R.E.?

Gear

MBTcustom
10-30-2013, 11:20 PM
I read it, but I confess, most of that went in one ear and out the other. I'll try to do some homework.

TXGunNut
10-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Same as last year, Tim. I learned that I have so much to learn. On top of that I've rediscovered 2400, finally took the time to understand RPM thresholds, and discovered that the 35 Whelen is not the slam dunk I thought it was...but it's all been fun-mostly. I've also learned that an empty gun case in the trunk of my car tends to come home full from time to time...but I keep putting it back in there!

geargnasher
10-30-2013, 11:48 PM
RPM threshold is the point beyond which reciprocating engines spontaneously disassemble. ;)

Gear

eljefeoz
10-31-2013, 12:01 AM
making lube is therapeutic
WW make my eyes light up
You can never have enough lead and moulds
FIT IS KING
knowledge repository here is awesome, as is the ability to share it.
Thanks CB!

35 shooter
10-31-2013, 12:38 AM
Since first lurking and then joining this site this summer, I've learned there are many people here who thru they're own time, money and experimenting on a product they could easily sell such as boolit lube,will instead print what they find on these pages for free for all to use and benefit from....I didn't know anyone still did such things anymore....learned you can make your own gas checks...learned you could push boolits to 2600 fps and faster with no leading...learned how accurrate a cast boolit can shoot(still learning that one)...learned this is the best cast boolit site anywhere.

The people here are top notch! Hat's off to Cast Boolits and everyone here!... Good thread goodsteal.

geargnasher
10-31-2013, 01:08 AM
If making and testing lube is therapeutic I must be doing it wrong!

Gear

Dang, I can spell "thixotropic" and "tribology" in my sleep (and apparently have, out loud according to my wife) but can't spell "therapeutic" without a dictionary. Yikes. Yeah, leaned a bunch this year.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I learned how much a rifle barrel can droop just under it's own weight. Thanks for that Tim, something else to give me the heebeejeebees when visualizing harmonic nodes.

Blacksmith
10-31-2013, 02:30 AM
RPM threshold is the point beyond which reciprocating engines spontaneously disassemble. ;)

Gear

Same for Bullets. Most people have never done the math on how fast a bullet or boolit really spins. Any who have not done it, figure it out for your fastest twist barrel and you will have a learning moment to write about.

eljefeoz
10-31-2013, 02:42 AM
Here-a-peutic ;there -a-peutic...
Yup, it's a little known secret, Ian

grumman581
10-31-2013, 02:59 AM
Summer over? That would imply that I no longer have to run my air-conditioner, right? I guess it isn't over yet. Maybe in another couple of months we'll have our week of "winter" and then it will be back to summer again.

tonyjones
10-31-2013, 10:21 AM

Gear

I believe this is also true as regards gas turbines.

Tony

popper
10-31-2013, 10:35 AM
I leaned the proper excuses when I need range time, i.e., the ones that work. Naw, she figgured those out. Now I just say I been there when I get back. When I'm in the garage, she asks if I've been making boolits. I'm still learning and Cast Boolits is a great place to bounce ideas off the wall. Go with what sticks.

labdwakin
10-31-2013, 11:39 AM
I learned that help isn't a bad thing to accept. The people here have been WONDERFUL.