PDA

View Full Version : Broken Phelps Sizer handle

Sundogg1911
11-08-2007, 11:13 AM
After posting on another thread of how I think the Phelps (copy of a Star) Sizer handle is stronger.....I snapped mine in half! :( It is cast aluminum. I was sizing some .44 mag Keith style boolits last night and about the 5th one the handle snapped near the base. The funny thing is I wasn't really working it that hard. I was sizing boolits that drop at .430 down to .429. Does any one know where I can a replacement handle. It's different than the star. It is a 1/2" hex shaft (well a half inch socket will fit it) If not i'll drill and tap a 1/2" socket for a set screw, and use a 1/2" braker bar. I'm bummed. I have 2 other Stars, and a Lyman 450, but they all have special uses. This one I used Magma green hard lube so I knew they were my "match grade" boolits. My other heated Star is uses Magma blue, for my run of the mill bullets, the other Star is soft lube for my boolits (not the ones I ship out) I use Felix lube in it, and the 450 is for my Gas Checked Rifle, and a few flat base multi-lube groove pistol. How will I ever live without it! (ok....I know....I'm spoiled) [smilie=1:

rbwillnj
11-09-2007, 02:01 AM
Attached is a Picture of the Phelps Lubsizer i used to own, it has a steel handle. All of the pictures I have seen of Phelps Lubsizers look just like it. I'd be interested to see a picture of yours.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-09-2007, 08:34 AM
The one that sold on Ebay last night for about $135 also had a steel handle. I was watching it thinking about bidding, but was turned off by posts about the Phelps' varied quality.
Morgan

Sundogg1911
11-12-2007, 11:32 AM
i'll post a pic of it as soon as I get a chance. I ended up making a handle by cutting down a 1/2" deep socket and drilling and tapping it for a set screw. I've never seen another one with the cast aluminum handle except for the 2 that I have.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
I just won a Star sizer on EBay. Haven't got it yet, but it has a handle like Phelps that sold a while back. A steel rod with a plastic ball. Not the wooden file-type handle, which is the only type I'd seen on them prior to this one. Did the Stars come with the ball handle at one time? They're actually more comfortable to use than the straight "file" or "bicycle" grips, and I've fitted balls to my Redding mod. 25 turret, and one of my Lyman 450 sizers.
The seller listed the machine as a Star, San Diego Cal. If it turns out to be a Phelps, he's got a fight on his hands.
Morgan

Sundogg1911
11-12-2007, 01:08 PM
One of the Stars that I had, also had a ball handle. I don't know if it was factory or added. It's a standard steel rod handle, so it can easily be swapped out. It is nicer to use than the one I have now with the wooden file handle.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks, Sundog. If you want to replace your Phelps handle with a ball, Reid Supply specializes in knobs and handles.

http://www.reidsupply.com/index.aspx?N=0

Morgan

Sundogg1911
11-12-2007, 03:15 PM
the only problem is my Phelps is the weird oddball that is like a big cast aluminum hex box wrench with a setscrew. Other than the 2 I had i've never seen another with the same type of handle. I think the handle that I made will work. I know it's stronger. Just a little harder on my hand. I need to find sone type of rubber grip for it.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Reid has knobs with a soft feel. They're phenolic plastic coated with soft rubber.
Morgan

lathesmith
11-12-2007, 06:53 PM
One of my Star sizers also came with a shovel handle, as well as the typical file handle. I haven't really used it much, so I can't say if I would like it better than the file handle or not. I don't think I've ever seen a round handle though.
lathesmith

Texasflyboy
11-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Magma Engineering sells the Star Sizer Handle assembly which should fit your Phelps.

I paid about $10 for mine a few years back...

Magma Engineering Star Page (http://www.magmaengineering.com/item.php?id=24)

creekwalker
11-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Sundog and other’s, thanks for a really informative post in regards to the Phelps vs. Star, especially regarding the difference in the handles. It was all new to me. Sundog, I don’t know how fancy you want to go on your improvised handle or how much money you want to spend, but have you thought of using a small length of high pressure hose or hydraulic hose? Might do the trick on the cheap.

creekwalker

ANeat
11-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Bigger balls®are better!!!!
Ive drilled and tapped quite a few billiard balls for handles on reloading equipment. On the Lee press's you have to glue it on. I think all the other brands with a threaded handle are the same.

I know its a lot more comfortable.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/dsc01056.jpg

creekwalker
11-15-2007, 11:51 PM
ANeat is right on the money with this post, I've very gratefully recieved some of the billiard balls he's drilled out and they are great. They do make a huge difference on a press handle and I can't help but think they'd do the same on a lubrasizer too.

creekwalker

scrat
11-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Aneat looks good. Now the trick that i do is put some baby powder on the ball when you go to use it. then it will absorb any sweat and make it so easy to use.